1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Pro vs build yourself (Was TRD Pro)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by clc2112, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    clc2112

clc2112 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock
    I started a new thread as to not thread-jack the OP's thread titled TRD Pro.

I am new here and to Tacomas, add to that I don't know much or anything for that matter about suspension systems.

I am buying a TRD pro Access at 37,290.

If I were to buy a base model 4x4 AC the lowest level trim I can get is a TRD Sport Extra Value making the lowest base model total: $32,420. A difference of $4870 between the AC Base and the TRD Pro AC.

What does the TRD Pro get you over the base? From my understanding it give you a Skid plate, Nav, 2.5 inch lift and better tires, better shocks and damm cool color over a TRD Off Road. (Thanks VIJAY)

I have no clue what UCA means but the Icon suspension systems range from $1,600 to $5,200. The best system that does not mention UCA is $2k (I exclude UCA as people have mentioned the TRD Pro does not have it, or it's weak. Trying to keep apples to apples) I.E. I am presuming that the $2k level of Icon is somewhat = to the TRD Pro Suspension.

Now we are down to a $2800 difference between the base model access cab and the TRD Pro. TRD Pro includes NAV. I want that. I do NOT want to use my phone or have a Nuvi on my Dash. The value of NAV? Not sure but we'll say $500 Now we have a $2300 Delta.

The TRD Pro has better tires and wheels. I like the wheels. Are they what I would buy if I customized? Not sure but I think I would put a conservative value of a $400 value over and above the base access cab wheels and tires.

Now we're down to $1900 difference. So for an extra $1900 Consider

everything is us under warranty
    damn cool color
    other little bits and color matched

It's not that far off the mark. For me it would take a year to learn enough about suspension that I would know the difference between the Icon offerings and the TRD Stock with lift.

The reason I say all this is, although, I see lots of people hating on the TRD Pros and saying they would buy base and build yourself, I don't see the specifics with numbers to back it up. So how far off are my assumptions?

2. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    San Jose in the house. Sharks better get their sh*t together this season.

Sorry, off topic.

Good luck

3. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    clc2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock
    Maybe the sharks need a TRD Pro Zamboni!

4. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road

:cheers:

They got "ice girls" in the off season, at least that's something

5. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Off-road SR5 6 Speed
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    With a Non-pro I don't see the option to have that burnt sienna orange color

6. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    TRD Pro suspension wise is more along the lines of Toytec instead of Icon. The fronts can be had for ~$500, the rear is Bilstein 5160 series shocks which can be had for ~$370.

7. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    [​IMG]

Just buy the Pro :D ya know you want it. fly to KC and buy the one here. my buddy is the salesman. then drive it home. easy

8. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Buy the sport and build one with icons for less. You can make a cooler grill. You can add black badges, you can buy black wheels and you can add real skid plates that will prevent damage then just for looks. If you are worried about warrenties and what not just get the pro. Goodluck and welcome to TW.

9. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    Rockoma5

Rockoma5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Louis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport Lifted
    I do want to buy it. How do I contact him?

10. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    Just get the TRD Pro. Some people here argue against it because they just like arguing. If it was free they would still find a reason to argue.

11. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Most of the guys who have decided to buy TRD Pro's on here ended up swapping all of the "PRO" stuff off within short time. You've already got the 'bug' if you are asking the question...if you want that color sure pay it. But I say go standard SR5 or TRD Offroad and do it yourself!

Ask LoadedTaco...

12. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    Rsamani

Rsamani Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 DBSB O/R 4x4
    not a lot
    I think you are leaning on the Pro because of your lack of level of knowledge about it but do not want to make an unnecessary expense for something that you think you can do on the cheap. ( well a few thousand less)..
    Nothing wrong with saving a few buck but having a buyers remorse because of a saving a few is something you have to ask if you can deal with.

I say if you don't mind losing a few $$ for getting a Pro then do it.. If you think you are going to mod the shit out of it then get the Base..

What ever you do just get the 4x4, and you can't go wrong.

Blah blah blah bla.

just get the pro and get over it.. if you decide to upgrade then you can sell the Pro stuff. suspension, wheels etc..

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  13. Sep 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    There is the added bonus of getting to roll all the upgrades into your note versus coming out of pocket for any upgrades to a SR5 or Sport.

14. Sep 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    clc2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock
    I'd consider. But its a dbl cab, looking for access.

15. Sep 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    RevoTaco

RevoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 08 6SP 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    Personally I would buy a TRD Pro because of warranty. You get the lift, increased travel, some other junk that I don't honestly care about, and you get a warranty to go with it. Some people will rave about how you get the non-functional hood scoop too! (I could care less.) To be clear, I would get the Toyota Platinum warranty to go along with it.

Yes, the suspension is not better than an Icon kit, but the Icon kit isn't warrantied.

Now, you can buy a base SR5 (TRD Sport is not base), and add ARB lockers and a lower tier Icon kit and do all the work yourself and probably be around the same price (especially since you can widen the gap by negotiating price on the SR5 - I don't think dealers will give a break on a TRD Pro). You won't have the hood scoop, color matched fenders, fancy wheels, and what not, but you'll probably have a more capable truck.

So it depends on what you want. Personally, if I had the money and I didn't currently own a Tacoma and I wanted a Tacoma, I would buy a DCSB Auto TRD Pro with the best warranty Toyota offers, add a TRD supercharger, and drive the crap out of the truck. Cause I wouldn't need to worry about anything, basically. If it breaks, I drop it off and the dealer and the fix it.

16. Sep 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid
    I've pretty much built my own Baja out of my TRD off road. Cost wise I've spent a little less than if I would have just bought a Baja, but not by much. Also no MGM Baja's were made and I was pretty set on that color. I've done the smoked TRD Pro head lights and blacked out badging. Once I get the grill it'll be more like a hybrid Pro/Baja. Once I purchase tires it'll prolly set me equal but I'm going up a size over stock.

17. Sep 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I'm essentially building a Pro clone. Only because the Pro is essentially what I was going for and it did not exist when I bought. Just coincidence.

If the Pro is the one you like then buy it. The price difference is not much. Even at $2,000. That's less than a 6% premium for an off the lot, full warrantied, ready to go Pro.

The only thing I could complain about is that you can't get a Pro in a DCLB version which is what I would want.

18. Sep 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    loki32687

loki32687 Matt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Peabody, Ma
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport Inferno
    Also, the Pro comes with a TRD exhaust FWIW

19. Sep 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    clc2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock
    Nice add.

Now to actually find a dealer who can get one.

Tacoma Pro, Access, Auto, Inferno . . . Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?

On second thought the others may be right. Pros SUCK. No one should buy one. Buy an SR5 and some spray paint. Leave the Pros alone!

20. Sep 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid

Really, Really, Really diggin' that color.

Actually, according to Toyota's press releases on Baja and Pro, there is increased travel with a stock Baja/Pro over a regular Tacoma. They even come out and say that with aftermarket UCA's even more travel can be gained up front.

And they do warranty the suspension against premature failure or damage, like fluid leaking. Granted, at 80k or so they won't write a check for your brand new suspension. But at least for the the length of the standard warranty, they do stand behind it. There have been a few members on here that have had issues that the dealer covered.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top