Notices

TRD Pro vs build yourself (Was TRD Pro)

Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
clc2112 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Cop and Comp Programmer
Name: Calvin
clc2112's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Pro vs build yourself (Was TRD Pro)

I started a new thread as to not thread-jack the OP's thread titled TRD Pro.

I am new here and to Tacomas, add to that I don't know much or anything for that matter about suspension systems.

I am buying a TRD pro Access at 37,290.

If I were to buy a base model 4x4 AC the lowest level trim I can get is a TRD Sport Extra Value making the lowest base model total: $32,420. A difference of $4870 between the AC Base and the TRD Pro AC.

What does the TRD Pro get you over the base? From my understanding it give you a Skid plate, Nav, 2.5 inch lift and better tires, better shocks and damm cool color over a TRD Off Road. (Thanks VIJAY)

I have no clue what UCA means but the Icon suspension systems range from $1,600 to $5,200. The best system that does not mention UCA is $2k (I exclude UCA as people have mentioned the TRD Pro does not have it, or it's weak. Trying to keep apples to apples) I.E. I am presuming that the $2k level of Icon is somewhat = to the TRD Pro Suspension.

Now we are down to a $2800 difference between the base model access cab and the TRD Pro. TRD Pro includes NAV. I want that. I do NOT want to use my phone or have a Nuvi on my Dash. The value of NAV? Not sure but we'll say $500 Now we have a $2300 Delta.

The TRD Pro has better tires and wheels. I like the wheels. Are they what I would buy if I customized? Not sure but I think I would put a conservative value of a $400 value over and above the base access cab wheels and tires.

Now we're down to $1900 difference. So for an extra $1900 Consider

everything is us under warranty
damn cool color
other little bits and color matched

It's not that far off the mark. For me it would take a year to learn enough about suspension that I would know the difference between the Icon offerings and the TRD Stock with lift.

The reason I say all this is, although, I see lots of people hating on the TRD Pros and saying they would buy base and build yourself, I don't see the specifics with numbers to back it up. So how far off are my assumptions?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Shwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Shwaa's Tacoma Gallery
San Jose in the house. Sharks better get their sh*t together this season.

Sorry, off topic.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
clc2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwaa View Post
San Jose in the house. Sharks better get their sh*t together this season.

Good luck
Maybe the sharks need a TRD Pro Zamboni!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Shwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Shwaa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clc2112 View Post
Maybe the sharks need a TRD Pro Zamboni!

They got "ice girls" in the off season, at least that's something
Old 09-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I am new here and to Tacomas, add to that I don't know much or anything for that matter about suspension systems.

If I were to buy a base model 4x4 AC the lowest level trim I can get is a TRD Sport Extra Value making the lowest base model total: $32,420. A difference of $4870 between the AC Base and the TRD Pro AC.

What does the TRD Pro get you over the base? From my understanding it give you a Skid plate, Nav, 2.5 inch lift and better tires, better shocks and damm cool color over a TRD Off Road. (Thanks VIJAY)

I have no clue what UCA means but the Icon suspension systems range from $1,600 to $5,200. The best system that does not mention UCA is $2k (I exclude UCA as people have mentioned the TRD Pro does not have it, or it's weak. Trying to keep apples to apples) I.E. I am presuming that the $2k level of Icon is somewhat = to the TRD Pro Suspension.

Now we are down to a $2800 difference between the base model access cab and the TRD Pro. TRD Pro includes NAV. I want that. I do NOT want to use my phone or have a Nuvi on my Dash. The value of NAV? Not sure but we'll say $500 Now we have a $2300 Delta.

The TRD Pro has better tires and wheels. I like the wheels. Are they what I would buy if I customized? Not sure but I think I would put a conservative value of a $400 value over and above the base access cab wheels and tires.

damn cool color

It's not that far off the mark. For me it would take a year to learn enough about suspension that I would know the difference between the Icon offerings and the TRD Stock with lift.

The reason I say all this is, although, I see lots of people hating on the TRD Pros and saying they would buy base and build yourself, I don't see the specifics with numbers to back it up. So how far off are my assumptions?
TRD Pro suspension wise is more along the lines of Toytec instead of Icon. The fronts can be had for ~$500, the rear is Bilstein 5160 series shocks which can be had for ~$370.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

Just buy the Pro ya know you want it. fly to KC and buy the one here. my buddy is the salesman. then drive it home. easy
Old 09-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the sport and build one with icons for less. You can make a cooler grill. You can add black badges, you can buy black wheels and you can add real skid plates that will prevent damage then just for looks. If you are worried about warrenties and what not just get the pro. Goodluck and welcome to TW.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Rockoma5 is on a distinguished road
Rockoma5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post

Just buy the Pro ya know you want it. fly to KC and buy the one here. my buddy is the salesman. then drive it home. easy
I do want to buy it. How do I contact him?
Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
Just get the TRD Pro. Some people here argue against it because they just like arguing. If it was free they would still find a reason to argue.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the guys who have decided to buy TRD Pro's on here ended up swapping all of the "PRO" stuff off within short time. You've already got the 'bug' if you are asking the question...if you want that color sure pay it. But I say go standard SR5 or TRD Offroad and do it yourself!

Ask LoadedTaco...
Old 09-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Rsamani is on a distinguished road
Navy: SCPO USN (ret)
Rsamani's Tacoma Gallery
I think you are leaning on the Pro because of your lack of level of knowledge about it but do not want to make an unnecessary expense for something that you think you can do on the cheap. ( well a few thousand less)..
Nothing wrong with saving a few buck but having a buyers remorse because of a saving a few is something you have to ask if you can deal with.

I say if you don't mind losing a few $$ for getting a Pro then do it.. If you think you are going to mod the shit out of it then get the Base..

What ever you do just get the 4x4, and you can't go wrong.

Blah blah blah bla.

just get the pro and get over it.. if you decide to upgrade then you can sell the Pro stuff. suspension, wheels etc..
Old 09-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
clc2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post

I'd consider. But its a dbl cab, looking for access.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
RevoTaco will become famous soon enough
RevoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I would buy a TRD Pro because of warranty. You get the lift, increased travel, some other junk that I don't honestly care about, and you get a warranty to go with it. Some people will rave about how you get the non-functional hood scoop too! (I could care less.) To be clear, I would get the Toyota Platinum warranty to go along with it.

Yes, the suspension is not better than an Icon kit, but the Icon kit isn't warrantied.

Now, you can buy a base SR5 (TRD Sport is not base), and add ARB lockers and a lower tier Icon kit and do all the work yourself and probably be around the same price (especially since you can widen the gap by negotiating price on the SR5 - I don't think dealers will give a break on a TRD Pro). You won't have the hood scoop, color matched fenders, fancy wheels, and what not, but you'll probably have a more capable truck.

So it depends on what you want. Personally, if I had the money and I didn't currently own a Tacoma and I wanted a Tacoma, I would buy a DCSB Auto TRD Pro with the best warranty Toyota offers, add a TRD supercharger, and drive the crap out of the truck. Cause I wouldn't need to worry about anything, basically. If it breaks, I drop it off and the dealer and the fix it.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Travel is the same.

The warranty argument is invalid because it does not cover consumable items like shocks and springs. Also you don't lose warranty for modding your vehicle unless the aftermarket part causes and OEM part to fail
Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
Third Shift
ThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura aboutThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura aboutThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
ThatguyJZ's Tacoma Gallery
I've pretty much built my own Baja out of my TRD off road. Cost wise I've spent a little less than if I would have just bought a Baja, but not by much. Also no MGM Baja's were made and I was pretty set on that color. I've done the smoked TRD Pro head lights and blacked out badging. Once I get the grill it'll be more like a hybrid Pro/Baja. Once I purchase tires it'll prolly set me equal but I'm going up a size over stock.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Jefes Taco has a spectacular aura aboutJefes Taco has a spectacular aura about

Jefes Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm essentially building a Pro clone. Only because the Pro is essentially what I was going for and it did not exist when I bought. Just coincidence.

If the Pro is the one you like then buy it. The price difference is not much. Even at $2,000. That's less than a 6% premium for an off the lot, full warrantied, ready to go Pro.

The only thing I could complain about is that you can't get a Pro in a DCLB version which is what I would want.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
Matt
loki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Matt
loki32687's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to loki32687
Quote:

damn cool color

Also, the Pro comes with a TRD exhaust FWIW
Old 09-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
clc2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki32687 View Post
Also, the Pro comes with a TRD exhaust FWIW
Nice add.

Now to actually find a dealer who can get one.

Tacoma Pro, Access, Auto, Inferno . . . Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?

On second thought the others may be right. Pros SUCK. No one should buy one. Buy an SR5 and some spray paint. Leave the Pros alone!