Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 w/ 25k miles - Engine starts then Dies *NOW WITH VIDEO*

Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
noclue90 is on a distinguished road

noclue90's Tacoma Gallery
2013 w/ 25k miles - Engine starts then Dies *NOW WITH VIDEO*

If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

I was leaving work yesterday and I went out and started my truck after it had sat there all day (on level ground) and when I turned the key it started then died about 5 seconds later. When it died the A/T Temp, Check Engine and Battery lights were all on. I would try to restart and have the same issue. I tried a third time and gave it a little gas for 30 seconds and it was fine. I thought it was weird and didn't think anything about it. Today the same thing happened when I woke up. Any ideas what would/could cause this?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Those lights will be on when the engine is not running.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

So what would cause it to die after 3 seconds?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue90 View Post
So what would cause it to die after 3 seconds?
That would be the 10,000 dollar question wouldn't it. It could be hundreds of things.

When it is running:
Is it smooth, no skipping or sputtering?
Is the Check Engine light on?
Is the acceleration good?

It could be as simple as crappy gasoline.

If you don't have an OBD2 Code Reader go to Autozone or ... and get the codes checked, and look for any pending codes etc.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #6

No I planned to go to the dealer today. It's under warranty so hopefully they can figure it out.

When it's running it is smooth worth normal acceleration and no lights on.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #7

Bumping this up since it is still having the issue. I am really needing some input on what to do next. Here is an update:

I have since been to the dealer 3 times. Between those 3 times they have had my truck for 3 1/2 weeks and have yet to figure it out. I dont think they are putting much effort it. For instance, the issue happened to me before driving the hour (one way) to them but suddenly once they have it, the problem doesnt happen for a week. It seems to be that the more I drive it around, the more likely it is to happen. The last time I took it to them (they kept it for a week and a half) I begged them to drive it as the daily driver so maybe it would happen. They promised that they would and said they drove it around every day, all around on both Saturday and Sunday but it still never happened to them. I called bullsh*t on them because little did they know, I was tracking their miles. They drove <20 miles in 9 days. I left multiple messages for their service manager and even emailed the main service manager for the entire network of dealers. It happens virtually every day at least once. I tried replacing the battery and it didnt do it for 3 days but then happened again this morning.

Is there someone I could contact straight with Toyota regarding this? I still have a full warranty (only 25k miles) so there shouldnt be an issue taking care of this. At this point it is either get it fixed or sell it. I dont want to sell because I love the truck but cant have something that isnt reliable. I have never heard of any year/make/model vehicle that just dies. I have had multiple vehicles and this is the nicest one, yet has the most problems. I am one dealer visit away from being able to claim lemon law on it if I wanted to go that route, which I dont. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

No check engine light and only mod is a shorter antenna.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #10
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Try a different key. My tundra does this on occasions.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
Alament92 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT, 911 Dispatcher
Name: Austin
Alament92's Tacoma Gallery
Trade that bitch in and get a newer one if they don't see anything wrong with it. Give them the bad egg, and take the money and run!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Try a different key. My tundra does this on occasions.
I thought the same thing but it happens with both keys. Could it be what is reading the key and not the actual key itself?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
Canufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to behold

Army: SP5 Army N Guard  Ret
Name: People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
Canufixit's Tacoma Gallery
when the Engine dies - what happens? Does it start right back up? Does it crank for a while then start? Does it fail to start after a retry unless you wait xxx minutes?

These clues will help us.

Also - just t thought - if you have 2 keys - try swapping with the other ....
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #14
Canufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue90 View Post
I thought the same thing but it happens with both keys. Could it be what is reading the key and not the actual key itself?

Maybe the security sensor is losing the key signal and needs replacement??
Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canufixit View Post
when the Engine dies - what happens? Does it start right back up? Does it crank for a while then start? Does it fail to start after a retry unless you wait xxx minutes?

These clues will help us.

Also - just t thought - if you have 2 keys - try swapping with the other ....
Typically it will restart eventually. Weather that is after 2 more tries or 7. Once running, it is fine and has no issues. I always just restart after it dies and dont have to wait. After 4-5 tries, it does crank for a little longer than normal but starts.

I have swapped back and forth keys for the last 4 months or so. Doesnt seem to change anything. One doesnt work more often than another.

I just placed an email to the Customer Experience Department with Toyota so I am hoping to hear back from them.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #16
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like trash in the fuel tank that is clogging the filter or an intermittent problem with fuel pressure or delivery. Does this seem to happen more often if you are at or below a certain fuel level?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #17

No it doesnt really matter. Happens after filling up and all the way down to empty. I have never ran out of gas nor has the low fuel light even came on.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #18

Maybe starving for fuel? CVan the Dealer check start up pressure when initially cranking??
Old 03-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #19

They supposedly did. I thought it was fueling too so I asked them to check into that but it didnt seem to matter.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #20
ranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
ranger098's Tacoma Gallery
You filled it with Diesel