1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 traction control or 2005 w/OR

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kilmurray, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Sep 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    kilmurray

kilmurray [OP] Member

Member:
    I am looking to get a used tacoma.
    What do you guys think of the 2009?
    Does it have the traction packages without getting a trd package?
    Do these electronic packages work well in snow and mud?
    Wondering if I really need the OR TRD package.

Was also looking at 2005 with 60k miles and trd OR, but it is from dealer and seems expensive at $20k. (even from individuals, they are close to that)

2. Sep 27, 2014 at 1:52 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I have an '06 without the transmission that tries to slow you down when coasting or the traction control that tries to anticipate your needs on ice. Thus far, I've not had a problem doing things the "old way." However, I'd like to hear from those with post '06 models too.

I have the TRD OR package and what I like is the locking rear differential. There's nothing like a true locker to get you going from deep mud, sand or ice.

Edit:

One thing I do like about the newer Tacoma's is that they beefed up the engine mount area of the frame. However, I've never had the cracking problem that some did, probably because I don't drive like a bat out of hell off-road.

Also, when buying a used Tacoma, crawl under it and look at the frame. In the eastern US and Canada they are having severe rust problems and a recall is taking place.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  3. Sep 27, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Find a cheap tacoma and get lockers installed

4. Sep 27, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    Bamo

Bamo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab 4x4
    I have an 09' and I agree with Burghlar. I got stuck with the traction control on and had to turn it off to get out. It basically shuts the engine off when you start to spin. If there was a delete I would do it. In fact I am going to search right now. I think finding something cheaper and adding lockers and suspension would be the way to go. That is if you can do the work yourself.

5. Sep 27, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Watch out for older Tacoma's. They have some major flaws. Engines sucking down rad fluid making them go boom... motor mounts imploding costing thousands... rusty ass frames with holes needing to get replaced... among other things.

6. Sep 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I dealt with the bad early head gasket issue on my current truck last year when I first bought it. That was obviously the reason it was traded as it was spotless. Fortunately I bought from a Toyota dealer and they covered it under their 30 day/1000 mile warranty. Otherwise I would have fixed it myself. It throws a check engine light, gurgles through the heater core, and misfires at idle when it happens. You would have to be completely clueless to ignore that and blow up your engine. But other than that issue which is now fixed with updated gaskets on mine I actually prefer 05's. None of that traction control BS, you can shut off the ABS with a toggle switch, and no TPMS either. I do find the brake assist deal with the automatic a little annoying but it is nice when towing.

7. Sep 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Most important question is: 2WD or 4WD?
    Either way the Off Road TRD is the ticket.
    Bad mouthing systems by people who don't have them or know how to use them isn't helpful.
    Auto LSD (2WD) & TRAC OFF have no engine regulation. Just push the VSC Off button. Easy! Read the details in post link in my sig.

8. Sep 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    There can be only ONE

9. Sep 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    kilmurray

kilmurray [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok, then, how about the 2008 sport with a plain trd sport LSD.

10. Sep 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport

if it is a TRD pre-runner you are looking for, buy a 2005-2008. after 2008 no more limited slip differencial.

$20,000 for a 2005 is outrageous. i have a 2006 TRD pre-runner sport with every option you could possibly get at the time. i worked a deal out with the dealership to get it at their cost (we bought a solara and tundra TRD and the tacoma the same day, deal depended on the tacoma being at cost) and i paid $23,600 with 6 miles on it brand new!

in MINT OEM shape a TRD pre-runner sport should be about $13,000 to $16,000. a TRD off-road 4WD $14,000 - $16,000.

i'd tell that dealer you would be happy to lend him your kite, right before you tell him..

GO FLY A KITE! LOL!

11. Sep 27, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    jboudreaux1965

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    a plain LSD?

not sure what that means? there is LSD and there is open differential.

its kinda simple, 2005-2008 pre-runners have LSD, 2009 to 2015 pre-runners have open differential.

12. Sep 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    kilmurray

kilmurray [OP] Member

Member:
    I thought the non sport had no lsd? in 2008
    just open diffs

13. Sep 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    2005-2008 has mechanical LSD in the TRD Sports. 2009+ have the simulated LSD which I actually like more.

I have been extremely happy with the way the traction control is set up on the 09+.

I had a 2006 TRD sport with mechanical LSD. It had no traction control at all.

I now have a 2013 TRD Sport with the TRAC system and I love it. I tested it out lots on extremely bad winter roads this past year and am amazed with it. On ice, I can take off faster in 2wd w/ traction control on, than if I kill the traction control and put it in 4wd.

To be clear... it doesn't kill the power to the drive wheels when you spin. It LIMITS it to what the tires can handle without spinning out and losing all traction.

TRD OR only has a locker when in 4wd (4LO specifically unless you cut wires), whereas the 09+ always has the traction control unless you press the button to kill it.

For winter or wet and slippery roads I would take traction control over a locker. If you are strictly worried about off road the locker is probably better.

I'd hold off for an 09+ TRD OR if that's what you want.

14. Sep 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    And I will add that the TRD packages have MUCH more comfortable seats.

15. Sep 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    jboudreaux1965

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    WOW! are you miss-informed! the problem with coolant flowing into cylinder 6 and sometimes cylinder 1 in not year specific, it is use and millage related. sometimes the layers in the head gasket get warped and allow seepage. if that happens it will throw a code and light the check engine light. that problem is universal among tacoma's just like the steering wheel shudder and the engine tick. but luckily, the coolant seepage is rare!

as far as the LSD it works really well, i have had a wheel hanging off an edge in free air, no contact to the ground at all and had no problem what so ever! a mechanical LSD will basically 'spool' the rear end, i don't trust the break assisted open differentials.

personally i would not trade an 05 or 06 pre-runner for a new one! you would have a better truck and for about $3000 make your 05-06 look just like a 2015! and you just saved about $40,000

now if it was an off-road, i'd trade :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  16. Sep 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    You in 4wd when you got stuck?

17. Sep 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    jboudreaux1965

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
  18. Sep 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    I would go with the 09 over the 05 TRD OR. Stock the locker on the 05 only works in 4L. If you mod it you can turn it on anytime, but driving at any speed with a locked rear you have to slide the back end around corners or it wants to push you straight. The 09 you can disable the traction control if it doesn't work right and put in a mechanical LSD, a TruTrac, or even an ARB airlocker if you want. Do more research about the 8 and 8.4 rears in the Tacomas and make an educated purchase. Good luck

19. Sep 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    You know it is okay to have personal preferences as to traction systems, as long as you compare them with knowledge.

My input on these traction threads comes from 40+ years off roading, four wheeling, off road racing, and Baja traveling experience. My posts about the systems on TW deal with FACTORY PROVIDED systems.

Nothing surpasses front and rear lockers... plain and simple

Toyota does not offer front lockers on the Tacoma.

Toyota offers Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), which is pretty close to having front and back lockers, but they work differently. In the end both the factory stock and front and rear locked trucks will get to the same place. The front locker added truck will cost you $2000 or more from what I hear lately. If an Off Road TRD gets you there without spending a dime beyond the price of the truck, isn't that saying something good about Toyota's A-TRAC ability?

As for mechanical LSD, that was on the SPORT TRD, only to 2008. All other Tacomas have Open Diffs, except when the Off Road TRDs lock theirs. 2009+ has ALL Tacomas with electronic traction control (TRAC and AUTO LSD/ TRAC-OFF for all; add A-TRAC for the Off Road 4WDs).

They are confusing in that there are so many options to select (for the various driving needs of us all).

I only attempted to explain how they work and how to use them. Driver skill makes all the difference in the world... and tire air pressure does the rest!

Have fun out there!

20. Sep 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I had an 06 4x4 TRD Sport for about 5 years.. then got my 09 4x4 TRD O/R..

gotta say.. even with the traction nannies in my 09.. i love my 09 much more. the rear locker is great.. but the A-Trac really is amazing. I kept forgetting i had it since its kinda hidden under the AC controls.. lately ive been remembering its there and its night and day.. the front just grips!

yes the traction aids in the 09 can be annoying.. but can be disabled with some simple mods (abs killswitch, one of my favorite mods to date) I do miss the mechanical LSD in my 06 vs my Auto LSD in my 09.. but.. its ok, i have other things that outweigh that.

Products Discussed in

To Top