1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange Noise while Stopped

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bearhuntermatt, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Sep 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    bearhuntermatt

bearhuntermatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    I searched the forum and couldn't really find the same type issue. My truck is an 06 trd off road. This issue just started the other day. When stopping at a stop light or waiting to turn with the brake pedal pressed there is a strange noise coming from right around the fire wall are on the drivers side. As soon as I release the brake and start moving or just release the brake and remain stopped the noise goes away. I never hear when braking while driving. It starts after the truck as came to a complete stop.

What could be in mater cylinder area to make this sound? Would it be a vacuum leak? My fuel mileage as decreased some as well but no check engine light.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Sep 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    1) It would help to describe the kind of noise that it's making? (popping, clicking, hissing)

2)If it's a vacuum leak outside the master "ie" the hose going to the master, brake pedal should be hard too press to get the truck stopped, ( if you get my description)
    If it's inside the diaphram of the brake booster which could be "ripped", "torn", or just have a hole in it, you would only hear it when the brake pedal is pushed

Hope this might give some insite to your problem

3. Sep 28, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    The best description I could give is like a bad bearing squeal sound. I would say its similar, but louder, to the sound the blower motor makes. I will get a video in the morning. The brake pedal seems to have no different feel then before and brakes fine.

4. Sep 29, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    Wasn't able to get video this morning. Will try when I get back in town at end of week.

5. Sep 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    If possible, try and reach for the wiring harness under the dash while in drive with the brake pressed. Move it around some and see if it goes away. Sounds silly, but these trucks have a lot of noise coming from them. That's at least how I solved strange sounds from my '06 and '11. Zip ties fixed it right up. Our trucks idle rough at a stop while in drive. You never know. GL.

6. Sep 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    The only thing I can think of ATM would be a hole in the diaphram of the booster, if you can get it to make the noise in neutral or park try stepping on the gas to see if the sound changes

Products Discussed in

To Top