1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I keep my 18 inch rims?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cliffg26, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    Cliffg26

Cliffg26 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5
    A couple of months ago I bought a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, and I like it a lot. In about six months I think I will have to replace the tires. It came with Michelin Latitude Tours on 18 inch rims. Since my truck has a 6.5 foot bed I think the stock rim is 17 inches. The reason I ask is that I think there are a lot more tire options available for 16 and 17 inch rims than there are for 18 inch rims. Is that correct? The extra expense of replacing the rims is a serious problem however.

I will be driving mostly on the highway, but with some driving in the snow and on soft dirt and muddy roads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cliff

2. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    schwarthog

schwarthog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad MGM
    Ultragauge, Weathertechs, Plasti-dip rims/grille surround, Access Tonneau
    If its not a TRD Sport stock rim size is 16 inches. I would suggest looking for some takeoff rims from a tacoma-either the 16 inch OR rims or the 17 inch sport rims. Shouldnt be much money, look in the classfied section on this site for examples. I'd recommend a 16 inch rim and a nice all terrain tire.

3. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    you can find cheap 16" steel rims for these. a smaller rim with a 265/75 will look nice and beefy with wider side walls compared to a bigger rim with skinnier side walls

4. Oct 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Cliffg26

Cliffg26 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the advice and the info on the stock rim size, but are there any practical reasons to go to 16 inch rims? Based on my limited knowledge I would say 1) there are a lot more 16 inch tire options. 2) It may not be possible to air down the tires on 18 inch rims for more off-road traction. 3) On the other hand the tires on 18 inch rims may be lighter. I do care about how they look, but performance is more important.
    Thanks,
    Cliff

5. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    schwarthog

schwarthog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad MGM
    Ultragauge, Weathertechs, Plasti-dip rims/grille surround, Access Tonneau
    Less metal is better for offroad purposes. I prefer a 16 just because the wheels weigh less and you get more tire.

6. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    ^^^This.
    it depends on what you are gonna do with your truck OP. do you offroad? would you rather have a bigger rim or bigger rubber?
    I have noticed in past experiences tire shopping for my old truck, yes most tires with and 18 rim measurement are more expensive.

I think you have answered your own question as par as practicality goes. your points you made are mostly true: 16>18 for airdowns.
    Im not sure about the whole weight thing, as far as actual rims, my factory 16"steel rims are about the same as the factory 16" aluminum alloys. the steel is thinner versus the thicker aluminum due to each material's durability and elemental strength. steel bends and aluminum cracks on rims. Which would you rather deal with if the time comes?
    There's too many variables on aftermarket rims to weigh to assume the larger diameter is lighter....there's more wheel per radius.

the weight of the rim could also factor into weight of the tire.
    personally i think the weight difference on rim diameter of tire alone is negligible.
    where weight would factor in most would be mud vs street tires, what ply, etc.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top