1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Called Toyota about leaf spring recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by evile, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Mar 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    When is the best time for a college student to take his Tacoma to the dealer?

Spring break.

Jeremy4876 likes this.
  2. Mar 19, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    jbwaechter

jbwaechter New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double Cab
    Are you sure it's not autumn..

...When the leafs fall?

3. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    I took my 09 TRD Sport to the local Toyota dealer today and they said it is covered by the recall and is unsafe to drive. The spring had started to cut into the brake line. They said it would take several weeks to get a new set of springs from Japan which would be the same springs that were on it. They also would not cover any repair that was not done there. I did the only logical thing and traded it in on a new truck.

4. Mar 19, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    DixonCreekDrifter

DixonCreekDrifter Grey Headed Shop Teacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Dixon
    east of the Rio Grande and south of the Canadian
    Vehicle:
    Last Truck
    Stock for now
    Been to the dealer and he said I was on the list for the leaf spring recall. I knew the springs were bad as they failed to hold just 400 pounds off the bump stops. So I ordered some add a leaf and new bump stops. Then life dumped several cold snaps here in Texas. (They think that bumper cars is a winter sport and drive accordingly.) This is the only truck I have owned in the last 35 years that did not have four wheel drive and my wife has a job that requires her to be in the hospital regardless of the weather. So I have always driven her to work on bad days as the school where I worked was either closed or starting late. The problem is I traded for a newer 4X4 Tacoma and am not sure about the add a leaf on the 3/1 leaf pack. The top leaf in the add a leaf is about the same size as the bottom leaf is in the stock Tacoma pack. I will not use both. So which do I toss. The top add a leaf or the bottom stock leaf ( not to be confused with the overload spring thing)?

Back to the spring recall. Dealer said it would be late fall before the spring came to his dealership. Maybe just a stall tactic or maybe the fact, but I have to much work to do with a leaning weak truck.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  5. Mar 23, 2015 at 6:53 PM
    Lelandt

Lelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tavish
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR
    bully bull bar, halo/angle eye headlights, 20" cree led light bar mounted on bull bar. 42" radius light bar from extreme LEDs 2 led pods, Spare tire mount on bed
    Got my leaf spring recall in December. Got them inspected and they passed. Well today, one snapped. I called the dealer and they said "when can you get here". Drove strait there. They gave me a rental and took my truck right in. And they are taking care of everything. They said it should be two days. I'm getting the frame painted to because it also passed the inspection.

6. Mar 24, 2015 at 6:31 AM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    I do not understand this^.
    It was my understanding there is no inspection & toyota would be replacing all springs on 711K to 750k trucks.

7. Mar 24, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    Lelandt

Lelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tavish
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR
    bully bull bar, halo/angle eye headlights, 20" cree led light bar mounted on bull bar. 42" radius light bar from extreme LEDs 2 led pods, Spare tire mount on bed

That's what I thought to. Maybe my dealer had it wrong but took it in in devember they said they were fine. Until now.

8. Mar 25, 2015 at 4:40 AM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    The dealer did have it wrong.

9. Apr 18, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    AlexB

AlexB Well-Known Member

Member:
    So the recall is actually happening? I got a letter from Toyota a while back talking about the issue/recall. I believe it said that they would notify me when they had a fix for the problem. I haven't heard anything since.

Should I go to my dealer?

10. Apr 18, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    I have called my dealer, and the toll-free Toyota number. Get the same "recall is active, but no remedy available yet. We will let you know when we have a solution." You'd think if it was serious enough for a recall it would be serious enough to get it fixed within a reasonable amount of time...

11. Apr 18, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    I've called and E-mailed. Basically Toyota says 'thank you for your call'. They don't answer shit, then have the gnads to send you a 'how was your customer experience with Toyota?' follow up. Corporate nonsense.

"Major Major never sees anyone in his office while he's in his office."
    Catch-22

12. Jun 15, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    titus5

titus5 Active Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    I noticed some funky noises lately going over bumps, so I took a peak under the rear and sure enough, a broken leaf on the passenger side.

I called my closest Toyota dealer (Folsom, CA) and spoke to someone for whom English is a second language. I finally got it through their head what I was talking about and they said they'd call me back. The second time I called I spoke to someone who preferred ebonics (I only took Spanish in school.) He thought I said "broken leak spring." I don't think he knew what a leaf spring is. After much waiting on hold he said parts are on order and they will call me. The third time I called I spoke to the service manager, and I can see now why this dealer is so crappy. It starts at the top. I don't think parts were on order, because he said they are required to inspect it first. Folsom Lake Toyota is a joke.

So I called the dealer I bought it from (Auburn, CA.) They had me bring it in right away to inspect it. These guys are always dialed in. They said the recall is active, but no parts available yet. Since mine was broken they offered to provide a rental free of charge until parts come in (unsafe to drive they said.) I said what if it's a month? They said it doesn't matter...they'll cover the rental. Within 3 days I get a call saying the parts are in.

I'm sharing this to show that your dealer makes all the difference in the world.

DJ IslandBoy likes this.
  13. Jun 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    The dealer checked my springs. Left side had a broken leaf. They zipped tied it and said I could drive. I asked if I could haul in it and they said yes, just watch the weight of the load. Whatever that means. I had 2/3 ton of rocks in it over the weekend. The dealer told me the parts were on back order. I guess that means new springs, they said they were replacing both sides.

14. Jun 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    titus5

titus5 Active Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    As an update, Auburn Toyota replaced both leaf springs yesterday. These obviously are not recall parts (since they're not available yet.) They said they may have to replace them again when the recall parts become available.

15. Jun 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    sleestak

sleestak Active Member

Member:
    I think Toyota is trying to set a record for the lengthiest lead time for a recall process in the history of mass automobile manufacturing. We're close to going on a year (September) and parts are still not available to even begin dealing with this, meanwhile, people's leaf springs are snapping like twigs on a daily basis.

16. Jun 19, 2015 at 10:27 PM
    1slowvq37

1slowvq37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Tecate BC MX / Chula Vista CA
    Vehicle:
    bone stock superwhite trd sport
    new car smell pine
    Took my truck to three differen dealerships... They all said the same thing, that I need to wait for the second letter. Funny thing is that even carmax knows about the recall and the wont buy my truck ( yes, I'm sick of the clunk noise every time I stop/ go and going into my driveway)

This is the last toyota product I buy, nothing wrong with their cars but their costumer service disappoints me.

17. Jun 30, 2015 at 12:52 PM

327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Covington, LA
    Vehicle:
    Former 06 TRD Sport Silver Current 06 Sport 4Runner
    I've had a box with add-a-leafs in my closet for a year. Trying to hold off until the new springs come in. I haven't even looked at mine to see if they've snapped or not.

I should probably check them.

18. Jun 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM
    Tcoma06

Tcoma06 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cassidy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    I had my frame inspected yesterday at the local Toyota dealership. I had my springs inspected again. I was told to expect to hear from Toyota around September or October about replacements. I'm not sure about his source but I hope his crystal ball is right. I'll believe it when i get the letter. BTW my frame is just fine.

19. Jun 30, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    Yeah, I haven't purchased AAL because of this reason

20. Jul 14, 2015 at 4:44 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    I had my truck serviced today at a dealership and asked them to check out my leaf springs....they returned with a "Yeah, those are pretty bad...let me look into something for you..." and he returned and let me know that they are on target for rolling out replacement 4 packs in september. He said the problem is they only made a lot of left's without realizing that you can't make just lefts, you need to do the right side as well or your truck will have a 6 inch tilt..

Products Discussed in

To Top