1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selling a truck you still own money on

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Juan Solo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    Juan Solo

Juan Solo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    Greetings Ladies & Gents!

I am exploring the possibilities of selling my 2014 DCSB; life is happening faster than disposable income lol. However, as it is new I still owe a decent amount on it and I have no idea how the process would work for selling a vehicle that is not paid off. Anyone out there have experience in this department that could help a brother out? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    Go ahead and make your deal, get cash or certified check, get payoff from lender( do this first ), when you have your money, pay the ballance. Make sure you work out the details with the new buyer so he can get the title. If his check comes from a lender, Bank etc., they should receive the title.

3. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    iwould imagine it works like houses. as long as the banks get their money it's all good. did you finance through a bank or through the dealership?

4. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    Juan Solo

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    Thanks! So essentially I should:

1. Trade cash/certified check for truck
    2. Pay off what I owe
    3. Send title to new owener

Am I understanding that right?

5. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Hypothetical numbers: Lets say you have a loan in the amount of $20,000. You sell the truck for lets say $15K. The seller then gives you a check or cash. You will then take that $15K and put it towards the outstanding loan balance of $20K, therefore now owing $5K. You will then continue to make payments on the $5K loan balance till it is paid off. When its all said and done, you are out $5K.

Best case scenario you are out taxes you may have paid and processing fees, but that will be difficult.

6. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    Juan Solo

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    Through Toyota Financial

7. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM

How much is the balance and how much can you sell the truck for? Thinking one is less then the other.

The logistics are easy, its the lumps you might take that suck.

8. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    If your gonna sell it privately your gonna have to find a buyer to work with you. Because you need his money to pay it off and get a lien release from the bank. It can be done, I did it awhile ago. It gets complicated. Most buyers ain't gonna just give you money to pay it off. Me and the buyer went to my bank, we had to wire his payment to the bank and the bank in turn faxed the lien release to my bank and that was it.

9. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Make sure buyer knows you have a lien on the truck and don't hold the title. That's how you will describe your circumstance.

10. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Most buyer not gonna give any money and not get a clean title. By your numbers he would have to come up with $5000 right away. The bank not going to let him make payments.

11. Oct 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    Juan Solo

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    That makes a lot of sense, hopefully I can find a local buyer. The folks here on TW are pretty reasonable gentlemen for the most part, and I hope to price it to make it worth their while. (for those of yall truck shopping, it's a 2014 DCSB M/T w/Icon stage 3, coughcough lol)

I owe less than I would be selling for, so that should make things a little simpler.

12. Oct 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    Just went through this...

Get your "10 day payoff" from your creditor. This is the amount of money you will owe them at the end of 10 days (changes because of interest).
    Get a cashier check from the person buying your vehicle. If they're paying you more than you owe this is easy. If they're not, then they might not be able to get financed for all of it... As a buyer I once had to pay the bank $300 to cut a $25,300 check because they'd only finance $25,000 ... it's weird and messy, but basically you need to get the money from the person buying your vehicle, at least the full amount of your lien. If you're selling it for less than what you owe you need to make that up in cash to your bank.
    You go to the bank with the buyer. You'll tell them you're selling a vehicle. They'll take the check and your account info and process it.... DON'T LET THEM TAKE THE VEHICLE YET. This is the really shitty part, the bank will not release the title until the check clears. This means they'll likely send it to you (no longer than 10 days) in the mail after it's paid off.... this meant I couldn't take home my truck until the bank signed over that title.

There's a lot of trust involved and it certainly is messy... But most people who are looking to buy a vehicle at that price range are pretty legit... just don't do this with a $2,000 beater... that needs to be an all cash transaction lol

13. Oct 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I've done this before. Not sure about your situation. I had my vehicle financed through my credit union and seller was going through same credit union. I signed the loan agreement to purchase. they signed the title over and was done.

Best advice is to meet at buyers bank to process. loan officer will get payoff from your lender. if you have equity above payoff, they will cut you a check. you will sign a release of title and leave, hopefully with a check.

Call your lender to see how they will process. every lender is different. also, have buyer do the same. you don't leave these things up in the air. Improper planning leads to chaos. we don't want that.

14. Oct 1, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    Juan Solo

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    Thanks Wolves and Snowman for the tips. I will give Toyota Financial a holler to see what their SOP is. You TW guys are too helpful, can't thank yall enough.

15. Oct 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    zmw

zmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    2014 TXproBAJA
    none
    if you are selling it personally to another individual and not trading it... go down to the bank that currently has the loan, bring enough cash to pay any difference between what your buyer is paying and what you owe, and they can do the rest. If you are due money back they will cut you a check.

16. Oct 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    Rambone71

Rambone71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North east
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma off road
    The best way to deal with the title issue is to have you and the buyer sign a power of attorney note so the title goes directly to him and not you. Most buyers won't be that trusting that you will give it to them and they can't reg the truck without it...

Products Discussed in

To Top