1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brown coolant and bubbling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hoodboogie, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Oct 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    hoodboogie

hoodboogie [OP] Plazma Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Smiths Station, AL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDOR MGM
    Icon stage 3 + Delta joints Dakar leafs Method NV wheels 16" BFG KO2 285/75 Cab mount chop K&N drop in air filter K&N cabin filter Alpine X208U head unit JL Audio Slash 300/4 JL Audio Slash 600/1 Focal KRX2 components in front doors Focal RCX-165 in rear doors Alpine SWR-T12 sub Box/amp rack is fiberglassed on the back and molded to perfectly fit the cab. Leer 100R Decked drawer system Prinsu Cabrac and Toprac Husky Floor Liners ARB 50qt Fridge
    So picked up a taco recently and was a little low on coolant. Got the extra long life coolant from the dealer and finally topped off the reservoir and the radiator (about 1 quart).

After driving for a day I pulled the cap off to check and noticed an orangish/brown color on the cap. And also an air bubble every few seconds. I see no oil film at the top of the radiator or in the reservoir. Also did oil change last week and looked good with no milkshake. It looks like this is either original coolant that was never changed or maybe someone mixed different types? The truck is within 183-193F during operation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412283195.946481.jpg
    http://youtu.be/SPXWng-TOMc

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Oct 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Drain it all out, flush it with clean water several times, be sure you have the heater temp set to high, and replace the coolant with distilled water and then see what you get. You can also have a pressure test done on the system first to see if there is some internal leak.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Oct 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The video is not showing. once you have verified that it is properly filled, and that there are no air pockets, then check for air bubbles again. Too many and you COULD be looking at a head gasket issue. But be sure that you have it filled up properly. If all of that holds well, then you really need to consider getting the radiator and block flushed out and cleaned. The brown color is usually rust.

4. Oct 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    That does look dirty, i would definitely flush it. Your operating temps are normal.

5. Oct 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    hoodboogie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Smiths Station, AL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDOR MGM
    Icon stage 3 + Delta joints Dakar leafs Method NV wheels 16" BFG KO2 285/75 Cab mount chop K&N drop in air filter K&N cabin filter Alpine X208U head unit JL Audio Slash 300/4 JL Audio Slash 600/1 Focal KRX2 components in front doors Focal RCX-165 in rear doors Alpine SWR-T12 sub Box/amp rack is fiberglassed on the back and molded to perfectly fit the cab. Leer 100R Decked drawer system Prinsu Cabrac and Toprac Husky Floor Liners ARB 50qt Fridge
    I am definitely going to flush it this weekend (I hope). Looking for alternative coolants at the moment. I am sure there is the exact stuff Toyota sells under a different brand that isn't $26/gallon.

6. Oct 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    You can purchase premixed Asian vehicle specific coolant from Napa. Mine sells it for about $13. It is pink, not green.

7. Oct 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    blown head gasket, maybe not leaking into the oil yet, but if the oil gets whitish/brown on the dipstick it has; open the reservoir cap; does the reservoir smell like exhaust? if so that's confirmation. You probably have engine surging/light roughness or will soon.

8. Oct 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    hoodboogie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Smiths Station, AL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDOR MGM
    No surging or roughness and reservoir doesn't smell like exhaust. Doesn't mean it won't soon though. I am thinking since it was a little bit low adding coolant and recently turning on the heater may have churned some stuff up. I had the heater running for about half an hour yesterday after I topped the coolant off.

9. Oct 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    first thing is to clean out the system with distilled vinegar. then refill with any coolant.
    burp the system and good.then the test-----
    they sell strips of stuff that you put into your coolant to test for carbon dioxide in the coolant(head gasket failing or about too)
    this is the best and only test with taking the whole thing apart.

the vinegar is a mild acid and cleans out the old burn coolant.

10. Oct 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The steadiness of those air bubbles is kind of freaky. Do they increase when the RPMs go up?

11. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    hoodboogie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Smiths Station, AL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDOR MGM
    I have not checked and did not get them to repeat today. But I'll rev it and see.

Thanks for the vinegar trick. I'll do that this weekend.

I was really hoping. To get to Overland Expo East but doesn't look like it.

12. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    drain old coolant and fill with vinegar and then heat up truck with cap off and drain. a side note if coolant is brown you might want to replace the thermostat as if it gets rusty it will fail and probable wont open.
    also make sure the coolant is silica free as that gums up and fucks up shit.
    flush out the system with a garden hose after the vinegar til its completely clear then ad new coolant.

13. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    UltraE05

UltraE05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Crew Cab
    Head gasket... do a compression test asap. If numbers prove me wrong then flush and add new coolant. Either way I haven't seen the long life antifreeze ever cause that unless there was an issue like a head gasket.

14. Oct 3, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Is there any warranty (e.g. 90 days?). It's possible coolant was replaced if the coolant is pink. Crud on the cap is hard to diagnose. But tank should not bubble after a couple days. (air should be already pushed out)
    If the coolant level continues to drop after a week or so and your oil is/stays clean, a gasket is letting coolant be burned in the engine and vapor is pushing into the cooling system. But this would result in an engine performance problem, imo. No other visable leaks I'm assuming.
    Anyone know of other non-head gasket places for internal coolant loss?

15. Oct 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    steady bubbles, yes head gasket
    ---
    but there is another reason for brown crap in rad fluid...for anyone's interest

something broke in the past and it was fixed
    if this is an automatic transmission then be very concerned. my story

When my 4runner blew the a/t radiator cooler and i got the pink milkshake, the tranny was flushed a bunch of times (still failed later...once water gets in it's gonna die, no way around that) and also the cooling system was flushed with a special crap that is supposed to clean up the oil, and turn it into this brown foam goo that makes it's way to the overflow tank over time and then you can suck it out and dump it.

Perhaps your truck blew an oil cooler or worse, the tranny cooler and was cleaned.....if it was the tranny cooler and the tranny was not taken apart and rebuilt, that thing could fail any time now....hence, my warning

NOTE: if you have oil in the rad fluid it can (might..a/t fluid will do it) swell up the radiator cap gasket to three times size and it becomes obviously useless...as well as other o-rings or rubber in the cooling system. so check your radiator cap and the gasket
    on it, to be sure it hasn't monsterized and gone to crap....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  16. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

For the older Toyotas that take the red rad fluid I have heard of this, but my buddy is a Lexus Tech and I asked him what I could use on my 2nd gen and he said stick with the dealer supplied pink fluids. The second gen pink stuff is not the same as the older red fluids and can not be mixed with other fluids or so I was told.

17. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  18. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  19. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    Indeed. It comes in a black container with red stickers. I'll take a picture of the bottle I've got.

Wait what is the difference between the dealer fluid and the stuff I can get at NAPA? It isn't red, it is pink.

Also, I recently had to mix the Asian specific with some Prestone cause I was overheating on the trail. Finished the trail, drove 4 hours home, and still good lol. I need to drain and refill though.

20. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    If your taco is 2005 to 2007 its probly a head gasket. My 05 with 217k miles had a bad head gasket since (at least) 178k. its a common problem with these trucks till they updated the head gasket in 08.

Also the only way i could confirm head gasket was a coolant pressure test, and left the system pressurized for a couple hours before i saw coolant in the cylinder. Twas a small leak so other tests didnt work. Good luck man!

Products Discussed in

To Top