1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger Issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sterdog, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I have a 2013 DCLB with the TRD Supercharger. Lately, as the weather gets colder, I've noticed my truck is pretty moody until it warms up. Basically if I try to give it any sort of gas before the engine is above 150f coolant temperature I get a stutter. Is this normal or could it be a sign of another issue? I don't go hard on my engine when it's cold but it sucks pulling onto the hiway by my house and having to nurse this truck into the lane. Could this be a sign I should change to a high flow fuel pump or something more serious?

Plus, after the stutter, if I pull to the side of the road the engine seems to miss a spark every once in a while. Not backfire but it definitely feels rough.

2. Oct 2, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Also, when I pulled to the side of the road, I rev'd a few times in neutral with my door open just to try and hear the problem a bit better. When I looked back at my dual out exhaust i could see a very faint hint of black soot in the exhaust. The insides of the tips are black after 15K miles. That's the only thing that's making me guess the fuel pump isn't able to keep up off the get go when it's cold. Any idea's where to start would be appreciated but I only have about $250 to try and fix this, so buying a wideband right now or installing expensive could be fixes is a bit unattainable.

3. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    How many miles have you driven the truck with the blower on it? any other mods?

4. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Well I went ahead and ordered the URD fuel pump upgrade. It's a good upgrade to have with forced induction anyways. I would still love to hear anyone elses thoughts on my issue.

5. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    when its cold the air is denser and so you A/F is off til you truck gets up to operating temp,thats the dark soot out the back.

if your fuel pump wasnt up to the task you blow a motor,lol
    you dont want to know what happens in a forced induction car when is shy on fuel.melted parts and bye bye motor.
    your fuel pump is fine.

also forced induction cars need new plugs about every 10k to 15k miles.

99% of the time its the tune that is loaded in to the ecu.thats why you have to have a custom tune on anything forced induction to run at its best. a generic tune cant adjust for your running conditions from place to place(ie altitude,temps,and many more)

and to further answer questions,toyota de-tunes there superchargers so the engine lasts longer(call it beaning safe) the more boost on stock internals the faster you wear out a motor.forced induction takes off about half off a engines life.

6. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It has a Volant CAI and a Flowmaster CAT back exhaust. I've had the blower since March and I've put about 10-15 thousand Km's on it. Until this I've had no issues other than a bit of a weird noise occasionally at start up that almost sounds like running water on metal.

7. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    There's a lot of guys who say the stock fuel pump isn't up to the task with the TRD blower and should be replaced. Something about the injectors not receiving enough pressure with causes them to have to run a heavier duty cycle. Plus the fact you can't change the filter on the stock pump without changing the whole pump.. I may as well upgrade the pump now.

There's plenty of guys out there with +100K on TRD superchargers and they don't change there plugs every 15K.

The rest is totally correct, this Supercharger has a lot left for mods but I want to keep the truck for years too so I'm not going to crazy.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  8. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    Pcyc

Pcyc Self Proclaimed Leader

Member:
    First Name:
    Fritz
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD OR - Supercharged - Dual Cased - Twin Sticked
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcyc-fj40-build.444289/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcycs-2nd-gen-build.308160/
    #forcedinduction

9. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    el tardo

Member:
    we can go back and forth for days ,just little tid bits--
    try changing plugs and you'll see the difference-thats one

on fuel pumps if you not getting enough pressure there is nothing on the truck that will save it fast enough and you will run lean so fast that you'll hurt the motor. trust me i know.( a heavy duty cycle wont do crap on a forced induction vehicle)(cant put fuel when there isnt enough to go around)
    when you got to a bigger pump you run into problems-
    first is the gas tank needs foam so the gas doenst slosh around and create a second of the pump pumping with no fuel.this causes two problems,fist the pump will burn out fast and second is lean condition.

i know for a fact that when toyota made this set up and put a warranty on it they covered all there bases

the only time you would need a bigger pump is if you got bigger injectors to get more power

i have been at the dyno shop many of days working on my stang and learned alot ,sometimes the hard way.

10. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Correction not all force induction need new plugs at 10k to 15k. Toyota recommends the Iridium plugs replaced at 100k. I've have seen the plugs at 30k.... perfectly fine, 60k.... perfectlly fine. That's all with a wideband a/f ratio gauge.

Secondly the OP CANNOT get a custom tune since it is already reflashed at the dealer. It is a done deal... unless you replace the ecu with another non-reflash ecu.

11. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Dude it's not a race car, and second it doesn't need foam in the tank :rolleyes:

BTW to OP, How long have this happen? just recently? Another thing to think about is we are switching from summer blend to winter blend fuel. So the fuel will be crappier then normal. Your mileage will show that soon enough.

12. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    el tardo

Member:
    i'll play--

i was beening generic as i dont want to write a book here and i spell like shit.

so lord helmet why would you use iridium plugs when copper conducts much better??? just cause toyota says or you have personal experience?
    get on a drag racing forum and read up on what plugs they use.yes copper!!!

and i just read a post here where a member had his supercharger re-tuned with a y pipe and other mods,so yes it can be done.

im here to help and my knowledge comes from first hand experience
    and a widedband gauge dont do shit,things happen so fast in a forced induction world that by the time the gauge reads out its to late.
    real racers dont use those gauges,they rely on there tuning and knowledge.
    your like the new guy with a gun(AR) that uses the bore lasers to sight-in your gun.
    just crap so you have something to spend (waste) your money on!!!

13. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    el tardo

Member:
    no its not a race car,its a very high volume pump.play with one and you will find out.:eek:

14. Oct 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Thanks for the input guys. I think the comment on winter gas could be correct. I'm looking at going to the 2.85 pulley in a few years anyways so I need a fuel system upgrade.

As for the "stang" guy.

Dude, URD/gadget knows there toyota's better than toyota. Most of the custom tunes on Tacoma's with any forced induction are done using there equipment and hardware. You cannot retune the toyota ECU after the TRD reflash, period. You have to piggyback a custom tune on top of there ECU. I'm not going that route yet because the toyota stock TRD tune has been shown to cover my needs. I have a scangauge and my afr is always right around 14.7, which is darn near perfect for the 1GF RE. That being said my gauge runs lambda and is not instantaneous. I've narrowed my issue down to a fuel problem and the pump is an easy attempt to fix my stutter. The first thing URD recommends you upgrade is the fuel pump in any forced induction setup on the Taco. Most Tacoma's lose 25 percent of there pressure at WOT and this pump will eliminate that. I'm not sticking the pump from God in the truck, just a pump that URD has tried, tested, and found to be truely impressive on many setups exactly like mine. Toyota is known for leaving weak spots in supercharged setups.

Also, I still have warranty on this truck. I'm not going to switch to copper plugs and fuck up that engine warranty. Iridium holds its gaping far better than copper. I'm not racing this engine a few miles and changing plugs every day or 5K. I'll stick with Iridium.

15. Oct 2, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    You use iridium plugs because it's for longtivity not necessary for performance. Like I said is the OP "drag racing" his truck???? NO!!! And hell yeah I have first hand experience on this issue. I don't need to go on drag racing forums and know copper is great for a "dragster" THAT is not what the OP wants. I've been wrenching for over 24+ years. I've work on everything from a 2 stroke motor up to a 18 wheeler. You're a arm chair wrencher. You're basing all of your info on what this post said and what this other forum said.

:facepalm:

16. Oct 2, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    Well check the plugs at least. You decide if they need changing.

17. Oct 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM
    el tardo

Member:
    i didnt post here to fight you, and again you only read what you want. i have more wrenching time then you ,so you assumed about me again. and im older to boot.
    you dont have to drag race to understand how to make you stuff last longer. and the gas tank foam, what in your tank the gas dont move around??? you must be special???

and you never answered my question about the plugs??? any motor builder
    will say the same thing, copper copper copper
    and then why does the stock Tacoma come with copper??

email,call ask and supercharger maker/turbo maker what plugs to use in a build or forced induction motor, i promise you all of then will say copper.

iridium plugs are a marketing ploy to make money.they conduct less electricity,yes with the same head they are self cleaning to a point but you can foul any plug. iridium vs copper- the iridium makes less power then copper.

i love to play on the internet
    stop trolling

18. Oct 2, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Just to install my 2 cents on this subject:

Excessive Black soot in the exhaust is a sign of an over rich fuel mixture rather than a lean mix as you seem to think.

19. Oct 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    You know nothing. Still spewing about gas tank foam. The tacoma doesn't have one nor does the OP needs one.

You use iridium plugs because it's for longtivity not necessary for performance. I guess YOU read what you want to read. See my original post above for reference.

Not all tacoma comes stock with copper. the I4 tacoma comes from the factory with....... what's that??? Iridium!!! Only the V6 comes from factory with copper and what do they switch to when it's supercharged????..... that's right Iridium!!!

Do you think regular people are going to change the copper plugs out every 10k-15k miles on a supercharged tacoma??? Probably not since you have to remove the superchager to get to them on the driver side. Great idea there genius :rolleyes:

Iridium are marketing ploy LMAO!!! Most car companies ARE switching over to Iridium since the early 2000s.

You know WHY racers use copper plugs???.... It's because its cheap!!! Also Iridium has a resistance to arc erosion, higher life due to the low oxidation rate, and last it has a higher melting point that allows them to run hotter than other materials namely copper and platinum. It's more efficent that's why it uses less electricity

Yup you keep on trolling.

20. Oct 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    Iridium plugs make my carb'ed motorcycles start much much easier. They also last a long time. I'm going to put a set in my Taco at 30k just so I don't have to change them out for a long while. I don't expect more power but the maintenance interval and ease of starting that I see on my bikes is worth it. Even if they don't do anything for the taco except increase the maintenance intervals that's worth it to me.

For the OP I'd change one thing at a time, what I'd do first is find a non-ethanol fuel station in your area and fill up one tank (when your tank is nearly empty) of ethanol free gas. See if that makes a difference.

Start with the easy stuff first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top