1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intercooler not shutting off after shutdown

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bwthomas77, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    Bwthomas77

Bwthomas77 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 dbl cab trd sport 6spd
    Supercharger, flowmaster exhaust, 4runner disc brakes, Volant CAI, ECGS bushing
    Hello tacoma world members, my first post here. Had a 94 pickup that I drove for a decade then sold when stationed overseas. Now back and I just brought home a 2012 tacoma trd sport yesterday which as far as I can tell has a trd supercharger, flowmaster double exhaust, volcant cold air intake and a aftermarket radio I can't stand, but that is beside point.
    I need help already, this was purchased from a dealer and I have no idea why original owner sold it, traded or how it ended up on the lot. Tried to start it this am and battery was dead. Jumped it and went on road trip. Discovered problem is the intercooler pump is not shutting down with engine shutoff (thought it was some sort of cooling fan based on sound). Temporary fix was to disconnect it while engine is shut down. I don't see any wiring or switches that suggest a override switch to keep it running. There is a relay harness it plugs into mounted towards front. Is this simply a bad relay? Also once engine off and pump running it is making a "tinkling" sound - normal?
    On a side note this "certified pre-owned" truck I bought then picked up five days later (as they had to finish inspection and get truck aligned) had 50 more miles on it than when I said I would purchase. They told me they had to drive it for state inspection right before I picked it up. I am somewhat suspicious this was because battery was dead...
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    charcharias likes this.
  2. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    To be clear intercooler pump is running continuously with keys out of ignition, over 1 hour tonight. Probably until battery completely discharged yesterday.

3. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    robotninjasrule

robotninjasrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    I bet it's just jumped to the wrong fuse. in the morning I'll take a pic of my fuse panel to show you the exact one it should be on. If that does not turn out to be the problem maybe relay?

4. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Great that would be helpful

5. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    intercoolers only run air,from what is sounds like is you have a aftercooler that uses water to cool the air.it would be the pump that circulates the water to cool it thats staying on.my guess is the last owner hard wired it to on all the time to cheat the system.

aftercoolers run into heat soak and dont work anymore after that til the whole engine cools down.

in my supercharged mustang days the fix for this is a bigger cooler(mini radiator) that cools the water.you can be on the boost more with a better cooling system.

6. Oct 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    robotninjasrule

robotninjasrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    It's the yellow wire it says ecu on it.
    0935a38f7137de995da2f781a355cc5b_397f98dbca1a558a5e375e1afd9da9adbc96a24f.jpg

7. Oct 5, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
  8. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.
    From the looks of that photo, it appears to be connected properly. The fuse slot should read: 10-Amp Fuse EFI No. 2, that 10-amp fuse should be a long-pronged type that replaces the original shorty. (It comes with the supercharger kit). The yellow wire connected should have the "T-Tab" contactor that slides over the new fuse, as this is part of the Intercooler Pump Harness. You might want to check the ground wire that also comes from the same harness....make sure it is getting proper ground.

In the installation instructions for the supercharger, there is a caution note which reads:

CAUTION: When
    installing the fuse, make sure the tap is
    toward the rear of the vehicle (Fig 19-11).

Hope this helps in some way.

9. Oct 5, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.
    Maybe have Toyota check the OBD for these:

Tacoma Pre-Runner
    2WD, 4WD, Automatic Transmission
    2012 Target Calibration I.D. 30455000
    Supercharger Calibration I.D. 3YWG2600

10. Oct 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies. I took it back to the dealership I bought from, the pump was wired into the accessory lights on the front. When dealership got it they rewired lights to battery rather than ignition not realizing pump was then wired up to battery. All better now.

Unfortunately to keep battery from dying I popped the wiring harness off the intercooler pump several times and bottom part of bracket broke off. Any recs on fix? Replace bracket or just put some electrical tape over? It holds pretty well with just top half of bracket clasp.

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top