1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newly Purchased 2011 Tacoma - Oil Leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaGSXR, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Oct 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    TacomaGSXR

TacomaGSXR [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD Sport
    20' BBS Rims w/Lowpro Toyo tires, 3 inch Lift, exhaust, ambient lighting, Access Tonneau
    Hello Tacomaworld,

This is my first post on the forum but I have been visiting for the last couple months. I picked up my v6 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport about a month ago currently @ 78,000 miles. Unfortunately its not a happy post for my first one but I am pretty sure there will be plenty of future happy posts once I get this resolved. I am completely in love with this truck and about cried when I drove down the Key West this week and noticed it was leaking oil. Here's what she looks like:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...2_10103285878949092_4267115160297756651_n.jpg

Here's a pic of where it looks like the oil is coming from:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/Redcard929/DSCN0700.jpg

It looks like the leak is coming from the oil pan that is located on the passenger side but its from the side of the pan that is more towards the middle of the truck. I've been driving around potentially having this leak for the last month since I bought it but haven't noticed since I've been parking in the street which is already oil stained. I went down to the keys and was parking on a white surface and noticed a decent puddle of oil each time I parked. When I checked my oil it was at the low point on the dip stick and I dumped a whole quart in and it is now on the full point of the dipstick. In about 1500 miles I lost about a quart which is a little scary for me since its only a 3 year old truck that I bought a month ago.

I bought this truck from a Honda dealership in Jacksonville which is about a 4 hour round trip from Orlando. Does anyone have any ideas as to if this is a $25 fix or a $2500 fix? I have a 60 day warranty that the dealership provided but if its just a cheap fix then I'd hate to make that trip. I might just take it to a local Toyota dealership to have them inspect it but want to get some ideas before investing money. I have about 4 weeks left on the dealership warranty at this point so I still have some options.

Let me know if you all have any good ideas for this situation. I was pretty terrified to know I was a quart low and from past experience I've learned these type of things only get worse with time.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Oct 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    from that pic it looks like it's just the oil drain bolt washer. have you replaced that yet?

3. Oct 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    At first I thought it was the drain plug washer also. But at second glance you can see that the side of the oil pan has some oil on it . I'm thinking oil pan gasket. Just my .02 cents.;) On a brighter note welcome to TW and congrats on the purchase . She is a very clean and good looking truck .

4. Oct 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    I agree. when oil leaks, it can go in many directions. I would replace the drain plug washer first, then look into getting the oil pan gasket. Either one should be fairly cheap and DIY.

5. Oct 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I agree. This shouldn't be a big deal either way, but I would start with the drain plug gasket.

6. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    TacomaGSXR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD Sport
    20' BBS Rims w/Lowpro Toyo tires, 3 inch Lift, exhaust, ambient lighting, Access Tonneau
    Thanks guys! I am gonna go grab some degreaser and clean her up a bit to see if I can pin point the leak on this one. The oil is pretty much everywhere on the side of the pan and surrounding areas due to driving 80 MPH on the highway with an oil leak. I'll let you know what I find. Fingers crossed for a $25 fix!

7. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    UltraE05

UltraE05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Crew Cab
    The oil pan is sealed with rtv. If its not the drain plug gasket its a 10 dollar fix and a few hrs of your time.

8. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    ODICA

ODICA 06 TACOMA 4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Earl
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4X4 SR5
    I would say check the torque of the bolt and wipe off all the oil on the drain bolt and pan. Clean it real good and observe. Based on the pictures you posted it just looks like to me that whoever did the oil change on the truck did not change the drain plug washer, and did not wipe off the bolt when screwed back in. :) Fumoto drain plugs would be your next mod.

9. Oct 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    JPA2002

JPA2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB TRD Pro
    My vote is the drain plug crush washer/gasket.

10. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    I say bring the truck in and get it fixed. IF it's the washer - it's easy. If it's the oil pan
    gasket - they should be able to fix it in no time. I'd do it on their dime and get them to back the coverage promised.

11. Oct 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    TacomaGSXR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Turns out this was a cheap fix ringing in at $0. Either this Honda dealership didn't know how to tighten down an oil pan bolt after changing the oil or the bolt somehow rattled loose since I bought the car less than 1600 miles ago. I set my torque wrench to 10lbs and sadly the bolt turned meaning it was very loose. After getting it turned to 30lbs I've driven it 4 times over the last 24 hours and no leaks. Gonna keep a close eye on it incase the bolt is somehow rattling loose.

Has anyone used Loctite on this bolt before or any other kind of thread additive? I bought a new bolt and washer for it when I do the oil change after another 2000 or so miles but may consider adding something if this bolts rattles loose again.

Anyone have experiences with switching to synthetic oil around the 80,000 mile mark? I've heard stories for it and against it. The mobil1 oil at wally world is pretty cheap ~$25/5 quarts and I am all for a synthetic oil change for about $30 bucks with filter :thumbsup:

12. Oct 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good to hear you got it fixed up. If you used a torque wrench and used the proper ft lbs, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Especially if you're going to replace it in a few thousand miles. IMHO, I wouldn't use loctite - but that's just me.

In reference to your oil question, if you're going to stick with full synthetic, go for it. I switched at 66k and haven't had a problem since. Again, just my opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top