1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a different squeal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TygersToy, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Oct 6, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    I've looked up the on here about squeals coming from a 2nd gen toy. Mines different that what i'm seeing on here.

I've got an 2006 double cab V6 4x4 6spd. My squeal sounds like a belt, but it's not. It doesn't do it when i park are rev or neutral and rev. only when i get about 15 mph +. I must be going, otherwise no squeal. I replaced the brakes and the driver front was squeaking when i applied brakes, but that has since stopped now and this new squeal has come about. It doesn't stop when i'm coasting, accelerating, braking, nothing. Only when i get my mph below 10-15. It sounds like metal on metal. It doesn't matter if ac is on, defrost, cold or hot weather or what gear i'm in. Although, it's kinda hard to make it squeal in my granny 1st gear only because i can't get mph up to 15 without winding out 1st gear.

If ya'll can help me out on diagnosing this, i would greatly appreciate it. Mind you I only have hand tools and access to a floor jack... and no go pro camera. :(

2. Oct 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    I've had two mechanic's not want to say 100% it's a pulley. It sounds more like it's coming from the front of the truck vs the rear. On the way home i'll open back window and see if it's more in back. But i can only sound diagnose it going down the road with windows rolled down and something to bounce the sound back to me. When i'm stopping, i almost want to say it's something with my brakes, possibly driver side, but i've blown the dust out of my brakes and nothing appears to be rubbing where it shouldn't be.

3. Oct 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    Ok. Narrowed some sounds down. Definitely coming from front. Cant exactly tell, but think passenger side. Im about to grease joints and see if it stops from that. If not im gonna jack up ass end and see if its drive shaft or front axel/ moving parts. .. any suggestions welcome.

4. Oct 7, 2014 at 5:25 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Run the truck with the serpentine belt removed for a short period of time . This will eliminate all rotating parts on the front of the engine however , judging by your description of the sound , I would guess at a bent brake backing plate . You can diagnose this by jacking the front of the truck and spinning the front wheels by hand . Sometimes all it takes is a quick pry at the backing plate to move it away from the rotor . Can you post a little video of the sound ? That would really help

5. Oct 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    Jacked up the front end and spun tires by hand last night. No noise. and is it possible to run the truck up the street without the serpentine belt? That's the only time it squeals, is when the truck is in motion greater than 15 mph. It's a constant squeal. Doesn't get higher as i go faster, just stops when truck stops. I can maybe have someone video the sound when i'm coming to a stop. My next option is to jack it up and run through the gears and get under there and find it. That would also eliminate the drive shaft. :(

6. Oct 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    Is it coming from the blower for the a/c in the dash

7. Oct 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    No. AC has nothing to do with it. It squeals whether ac is on or not. Same for defrost or anything else.

Jacking it up and running it tonight to see if i can pinpoint it.

8. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    Havent been able to jack it up yet, but listenig to it from the side if the road. It sounds like a belt in the middle of my truck. Not the front end, not the back. Middle. and you can still only hear it going 10-15+ mph. Not when its sitting still.

9. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    Its audible at idle then goes away and comes back at 10-15mph and stays with increasing speed?

Is it a metallic sound or rubbery...you know what I mean?

Post a video in your garage or something

10. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    Deerhunter1911a1

Deerhunter1911a1 Jeeper gone Taco!

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD V6 6-speed MANUAL BABY!
    None yet. Soon to come.
    i come over from the Jeep community and we always called it "angry sparrows" when your front driveshaft joints go; sounds like a bunch of birds humping a football in the engine bay, but its the front driveshaft. it could also be u-joints chirping.

but....thats all coming from a jeep background. i still havent figured out where they put my front axle in this thing...lol

11. Oct 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  12. Oct 10, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    I have someone else looking at it today. But no, you can't hear it at idle, only when going faster than 10-15 mph and it stays a constant sound. Not higher or lower. It sounds like a metallic when braking only (i realize this could be my brakes), rubbery kinda while going. I looked like a idiot standing in the road last night while someone drove my truck up and down the street.

If they can't find it today, I'll attempt to get a video, but it would honestly have to be watching the truck go down the road and just trying to hear it. (over the exhaust.)

13. Oct 10, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    TygersToy

TygersToy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    3" lift
    This is my next option to change out... getting to be an expensive little squeal..:mad:

14. Oct 10, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    This is what I was thinking. :notsure:

Products Discussed in