1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen frame rot - class action lawsuit attempt

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomeontherange, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    tacomeontherange

tacomeontherange [OP] this ain't no picnic

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    I don't see how this has legs in light of his demands and the existence of the Limited Service Campaign... but we'll see.

source: http://washingtonexaminer.com/class...re-essentially-worthless/article/feed/2171480

Class action says rusty Toyota Tacomas are essentially worthless

FORT SMITH, Ark. (Legal Newsline) – An Arkansas man has filed a class action lawsuit against Toyota, claiming its 2005-2009 Tacoma trucks are prone to experiencing excessive rust corrosion.
    The vehicles were manufactured with frames that lack adequate rust corrosion protection and, as a result, the frames are prone to experiencing excessive rust corrosion, rendering the vehicles unstable and unsafe to drive, according to the complaint.

The vehicles that experience excessive rust corrosion are essentially worthless, according to a complaint filed Oct. 3 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas.

Ryan Burns claims Toyota has long known that the frames on its Tacoma vehicles lack adequate rust corrosion protection and, despite this knowledge, failed to disclose the existence of the defect to him and other class members at the time of sale, has not issued a recall to inspect and repair the vehicles and has not offered to reimburse owners for costs incurred to identify and repair the defect.

Earlier this year, Burns took his Tacoma in for service because the fan on the vehicle was coming into contact with the fan shroud, according to the suit.

“Shortly thereafter, plaintiff was informed that the frame on his Tacoma vehicle was rusted out and that the vehicle was unsafe to drive,” the complaint states.

Burns claims he was advised that the frame on his 2005 Tacoma had severely rusted and that it would cost approximately $10,000 to repair.

“In… March 2008, after receiving numerous complaints that frames on approximately 813,000 model year 1995 to 2000 Tacoma vehicles had exhibited excessive rust corrosion, Toyota USA initiated a customer support program extending warranty coverage on the vehicles’ frames for frame perforation caused by rust corrosion,” the complaint states. “The program extended warranty coverage on concerned vehicles to 15 years with no mileage limitations.”

Under the program, upon confirmation of perforation of the frame due to rust corrosion, Toyota would either repair or repurchase the vehicle, according to the suit.

Burns claims Toyota subsequently altered the customer support program to include 2001-2004 Tacoma models, with the exception that there was no buy-back option.

“In November 2012, Toyota USA recalled approximately 150,000 Tacoma vehicles to inspect and replace the spare-tire carrier on vehicles sold in 20 cold weather states,” the complaint states. “The recall was issued to prevent the spare-tire carrier from rusting through and resulting in the spare tire dropping to the ground.”

Burns claims Toyota violated the Arkansas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and breached its express and implied warranty under Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

“Toyota USA knew, or should have known, that the frames on…Toyota vehicles were not coated with adequate rust corrosion treatment,” the complaint states.

As a result, Toyota has been unjustly enriched at the cost of class members whose vehicles were damaged, according to the suit.
    Burns is seeking class certification, compensatory damages, an order requiring Toyota to repair or replace the frames on the Tacoma vehicles and pre- and post-judgment interest.

He is represented by Phillip J. Milligan of Milligan Law Offices; Michael L. Roberts of Roberts Law Firm; and Ben Barnow and Erich P. Schork of Barnow & Associates PC.

The case was assigned to District Judge P.K. Holmes III.
    U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas case number: 1:14-cv-02208

From Legal Newsline: Kyla Asbury can be reached at classactions@legalnewsline.com.
    Content provided by Legal Newsline, which is owned by the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform.

2. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    tacomeontherange

tacomeontherange [OP] this ain't no picnic

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
  3. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Now this is going to be interesting ....Not sure if this is good or bad. On the good side Toyota may be forced to resolve this once and for all. On the bad side, they may use the lawsuit as a reason to stop all repair activity on the frames until the suit is settled.

In typical fashion, if this does got to court and Toyota loses - the lawyers will make millions and each Taco owner will be lucky to get $ 14.95

4. Oct 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    Cjanik

Cjanik Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road DCSB in MGM
    OME front & rear shocks, OME 886 springs, Dakar rear leaf pack, ICON UCA, Demello front bumper, BFG M/T 255/85r16
    ^^ another downside would be the mass-market would hear of it and it would cause huge depreciation of the Tacoma.

5. Oct 9, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    On top of that, everyone else will feel the pinch in re-sale value. Although I'm not sure I buy the entire notion that this effects re-sale. Rusty frames have been known for awhile, and even have had some press/ media exposure and despite this, 1st gens are still worth a small fortune out here.

6. Oct 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Is anyone surprised someone filled a suit? Toyota has had frame rot issues for years now. Maybe they will finally take care of the second gen owners with the issue. As for resale value I'm guessing they won't take that big of a hit.

7. Oct 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I'm surprised

Surprised it took this long to happen

8. Oct 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Negative publicity stunt mostly by some lawyers hoping to profit. Wonder if certain competitor(s) are co-instigators of it?

Not that the problem is not potentially real to any affected owners.

9. Oct 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Living by the ocean is hardly salt free

10. Oct 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    has there been any rusted frames on the west coast though?

every issue seems to be on the east coast.

11. Oct 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I hope Toyota is forced to replace frames on every 2nd gen Taco in existence. LOL, never happen though. At least extend the corrosion warranty another 5yrs per truck.

12. Oct 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    st101

st101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I keep noticing these complaints only mention "2005-2009" -- does this suggest that 2010-2015 frames do not exhibit this problem?

13. Oct 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    nope

14. Oct 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Intresting. My truck frame (2005) is rusted to hell. Never been ON the beach, but i live only a few miles from it. Can't wait to get my $14.95 check in the mail. Lol

15. Oct 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    Papa Taco

Papa Taco HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4 6 Speed
    Follow the yellow brick road
    :( I hope they don't

16. Oct 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

cars do rust here , just not as bad as back east

17. Oct 16, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Hmm wonder if we can get in on this. Ill take a check for my troubles

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  18. Oct 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    It will be really interesting to see what comes of this. Even though I personally don't have this problem (yet), the frame thing is a real issue on the Tacoma, still.

As far as resale, I can't imagine it would be a huge hit. Look at the value of 1st gens, which went through this. If you find one with a clean frame, it's still worth its weight in gold basically.

19. Oct 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco

There were a number of post from owners in Hawaii....:eek:

20. Oct 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    my 2005 is rusting, Im interested in how this turns out

Products Discussed in

To Top