Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Photos of my bent tailgate

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
Photos of my bent tailgate

Previously ranted about in another thread, I'd bent my tailgate by stepping on it too hard, in just the wrong spot. With the plastic panel off, what appeared to be a very slight bow in the tailgate manifests itself as a sharp dent. I straightened it all up pretty well with a big clamp & some 2x4's. Man oh man, is that metal THIN!

Also it's amazing that the plastic shows no damage at all, considering the shape of the dent.

Note that the top rail of the gate is still perfectly straight, and from the exterior the gate only shows the slightest bow in it at the bottom. It's all but invisible and I didn't want to risk kinking the outer skin trying to straighten it any more.

I'm going to reinforce the gate, but right now I'm still considering just how to go about it.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about bolting some angle iron inside the tailgat in some locations. Think that would be a viable fix?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Taco Virgin
dragon129 is on a distinguished road

dragon129's Tacoma Gallery
Relentlesstaco, here's another customer for the reinforcement.... Do a search on "tailgate reinforcement" and you should find what he has to offer. A few of us are trying to get him to make us some nice diamond plate to prevent exactly what happened to your tailgate. It looks like nice stuff. I'm on board if he would pull the trigger...
Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
toast is on a distinguished road
toast's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure there was a TSB on this.....
Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
robo-ninja
edwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to all

edwinalink's Tacoma Gallery
3 words... carbon fibre bedliner...
3 more words, go make one...
3 more words... i dunno how!
3 more words... rasberry, baseball, wallpaper
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
The easiest reinforcement would be like Chris said and to bolt/rivet/weld some angle iron on there. The key here would be to get two of the longest pieces of angle that you could easily fit in there. Have them go to the end and then overlap them in the middle.

You could also look into getting a plate bent over the tailgate. A few people have done that.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
I would cut some small 2x4 blocks to wedge under where it bent...
Now when I say wedge, I mean very lightly tap them into place, so that it doesnt dent the exterior painted side of the gate.

Now that I think about it, it might cause damage to the exterior if enough weight was on that one spot where the 2x4 wedge is....

Nevermind.... LOL

go with the full plate cover that the others are suggesting... Im going to have a local steel shop fabricate one for me, as soon as I get my truck
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
what year is your tacoma? isnt it under warranty??
Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Taco Virgin
dragon129 is on a distinguished road

dragon129's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Pretty sure there was a TSB on this.....
Those three letters piss me off to no end. It should be, "Recall" not TSB. Well, I can see how this particular issue could be a TSB, but I also cannot do the AAL TSB. That should be a recall. Is everyone on this board eligible for the TSB's??? Stupid question I know, but everyone mentions TSB to me when I'm way out of the 3 year 36,000 mile mark. Everything is on my own now. I get no help from Toyota.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Why hasnt toyota fixed this yet? are the 09s bend able too?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayet_10 View Post
Why hasnt toyota fixed this yet? are the 09s bend able too?
i dont think they are, they corrected the problem when 08 where on production, yet some 08's that where early produced still have the issue, and later VIN's where fixed
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
The easiest reinforcement would be like Chris said and to bolt/rivet/weld some angle iron on there. The key here would be to get two of the longest pieces of angle that you could easily fit in there. Have them go to the end and then overlap them in the middle.

You could also look into getting a plate bent over the tailgate. A few people have done that.
The diamond-plate fix that's been posted here doesn't do much to reinforce the rail that I bent. Mainly it reinforces the top edge of the gate. You couldn't really add a flange to the bottom edge, as it's so close to the bed already that the gate wouldn't close right.

You could easily put a bar, an angle, or a custom-bent channel inside the bottom of the gate. It would not bother me to make this part one-piece, and cut those flimsy bits of sheetmetal to get it into the gate, then splice those back together with some thicker metal to reinforce them as well.

...But...my gate has the wiring for the backup camera, and that runs through a hole in the bottom edge of the gate. not sure how I'd go about that business.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
MotoNerd

BTW, mine's an '09 and yes under warranty. I wasn't going to take it in for this if I could straighten it out in 30 minutes myself because if it really gets bent later I don't want them to give me a song & dance about it already having the TSB incorporated on '09's.

AFAICT, my Taco falls outside of the VIN's that the TSB will affect, which means it already has the "stronger" tailgate. I hate to think what the weaker one was like.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post
BTW, mine's an '09 and yes under warranty. I wasn't going to take it in for this if I could straighten it out in 30 minutes myself because if it really gets bent later I don't want them to give me a song & dance about it already having the TSB incorporated on '09's.

AFAICT, my Taco falls outside of the VIN's that the TSB will affect, which means it already has the "stronger" tailgate. I hate to think what the weaker one was like.
yea, kinda like a POS is my guess.... anyways, i wish i had a tailgate to bend LMAO
Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The diamond-plate fix that's been posted here doesn't do much to reinforce the rail that I bent.

If you can bend a tailgate with that plate on there...you need a bigger truck. Yes it will strengthen the top rail, but a solid plate over the entire tailgate will not bend as the composite did.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
MotoNerd

Probably so, but now that I have the Undercover toneau on the diamond plate isn't really an option.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Probably so, but now that I have the Undercover toneau on the diamond plate isn't really an option.

I'm going with something different than diamond plate. Not a big fan of it. I'll do a sheet steel powdercoated thing.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
How did you do that?
I've had a 22R and a 3.0 Supra strait 6 sit on my tailgate (not at the same time)
no bending at all.
I could move a pissed off Bruce Banner in this thing and be fine.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #19
MotoNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPrerunner05 View Post
How did you do that?
I was loading my bike in the back...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
I've replaced the front piece with 16ga. steel and will be welding some angle into the top soon.