1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Says: Brake flush, and Throttle body needs clean

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chrisg, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Chrisg

Chrisg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    Hey All, I took my truck to the dealer for is 35K service. they said throttle body, and brake fluid needs service. I said how you know the TB needs service?? Did you take engine cover off??.... UHHHHHH. Truck runs perfect. I am thinking of running the Redline SI1 injector cleaner, just to be sure.
    Oh, and fuel injector cleaning also.

On the brake flush, can't you just siphon the old fluid? Or do you have to have it done because of the ABS?? Truck is only 2 1/2 yrs old!

My truck: 2012 Tacoma 4.0 Automatic 4x4

Thanks,

Chris

2. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    15bluetaco

15bluetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma DBSB 4x4
    Have you looked at the TB? Its extremely early to worry about cleaning it. Get a can of carb cleaner and an old toothbrush if you really think it needs it. Dont waste money on injector cleaner. Brake fliud can pull some moisture into the system so a flush wouldnt be a bad idea. If you dont know how to bleed brakes i would take it to a trusted shop.

Source = stayed at a holiday inn express

3. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    What these guys have said about brake fluid is true. It attracts water. Look into the brake reservoir and see if it looks cloudy or dirty. If it does, definitely flush the system. It's still not a bad idea to flush it if it doesn't look dirty.

As for the throttle body, not sure I would worry about that just yet.

4. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Gatorade bottle,drill bit,
    clear tubing that fits snug in bleeder screw, boxend wrench, brake fluid of your choice. Suck out old fluid and fill with new, start bleeding at rear until you get new clean fluid and then move to next wheel. I use enough hose so bottle can be seen from driver seat, say 5-6'. The bigger the bottle the better so you dont have to empty it as much. Dont let resevoir go dry.
    http://youtu.be/MfTmlOZbXgs

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Dealer just looking to make some mulah.

6. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    Thanks for the replies. I've worked on tons of brakes , but never on ABS. Just don't want to screw up sensors by not bleeding without a pressure bleeder. The fluid looks pretty clean, the reservoir is dirty, I think that's what they are looking at, IMO..

They want like $150 for injector service, that's why I was thinking of running some Redline or Techron in it.

I seen the write up on the throttle body, looks pretty straight forward, especially if you don't clean the MAF. I checked O'Reilly's, and they got the TB cleaner for $5, and the MAF cleaner for $8... I might do it this weekend.

thanks,

chris

7. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    Thanks Taco TX, I have a mighty vac bleeder kit. I just wasn't sure I could do it because of the ABS... So do I use the regular dot3/4 fluid? I haven't checked manual.

chris

8. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    CharlieG: exactly what I was thinking. This kid (service advisor) looked totally stupid when I asked if they pulled the engine cover off. They did the 30k and 4 minor service for $300, so I let them do it. No mess at my house.

I told him "NO WASH" I just washed it an hour before, and had tools in truck bed. Two hours later, truck is WASHED and tools inside cab of truck.. I went in and bitched at this guy, the car wash scratches and my truck is BLACK on top of that!!!.. Not gonna deal with this idiot again, other advisors are good at this dealer.

9. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    el tardo

el tardo Well-Known Member

Member:
    your best damage to the dealer is a YELP review.

trash them hard as they deserve it

10. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    elTardo: Yeah, im pissed about the truck wash, and I told him that. Other than that, I've had good service at PIERCEY TOYOTA.. Milpitas, Ca. He asked me earlier about giving him a good review on service, haha. This dealer always sends a follow up email about service, it's not gonna be favorable this time.

11. Oct 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Op, don't cheap out on the brake system as it the most important thing on your list. I flush/renew the brake fluid in all my vehicles every 1-2 years and even then at high miles I can find rusted pistons in the calipers. But I would ditch the stealer and have some other place that specializes in brakes do it if you are not comfortable messing with them.

Side note: I used to buy the brake fluid that comes in the plastic quart size bottles and stockpile them in my garage. That stuff takes in so much water (yea sealed) through the plastic that the bottom of the bottles would round and tip over. Others report this as well. If you stockpile brake fluid get the metal cans and keep them sealed until ready for use.

Techron is one of the few products that actually works. Look for the concentrate for total fuel system cleaner as it has 2X the active ingredients as regular Techron. The 20 oz. bottles are best IMHO.

12. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    little squirt

little squirt 808 ALLDAY!!

Member:
    808 ALLDAY!!
    Do brake flushes yearly. Very important because brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels.

13. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I siphon and refill brake fluid reservoir and power steering reservoir every oil change. Been doing this for the better part of 50 yrs.

Every couple of years, I flush and bleed brake and power steering systems.

Forget the turkey baster. These things loose suction after a couple of uses. I've been using one of these for many years. The only way to go as far as sucking out reservoirs:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do?sortby=ourPicks

Cleaning the TB and injectors at 35K is nothing more than the dealer upselling service. I would find another dealer if that's how you choose to service your vehicle.

14. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I hate dealership practices/prices as much as the next guy. To be fair, if they have no record of service for your vehicle, of course they're going to look at the odometer and suggest that you need this, this and this. If you do the work yourself, then just tell them no thanks, you already did the work.

No offence, but sounds like too me you just wanted to whip out your fancy creds and belittle the tech.

15. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    +1

The dealer will also tell you someone wants your vehicle, so they'll recommend you consider a trade in today and get yourself into a brand new truck.

:rolleyes:

16. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    I called Service Mgr at this dealer today because I was still pissed. I asked were my tires rotated? I asked because I have aftermarket wheels with locks, and they didn't ask.. He said, tech went in glovebox and got lock& allen wrench for caps..

I have Nitro in tires, they don't have a Nitro tank to re-fill. Service Mgr says it's costs too much..

Then on the upsell of services: He said this advisor was new, and that's not how they do business. And assures me that they only do service that is necessary . They got 1 more chance, then I'm done with this dealer.

17. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Do that stuff yourself and keep your receipts just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and find a new dealership. In the rare instances that I need something done, I go to Texas Toyota of Grapevine. Service advisors are straight up and way more knowledgeable/honest than many. I trust them, but they know that I'll call BS if anything bogus is suggested. Either that, or they know that I'll ask for proof.

Also, always use the same adviser. Building that relationship can help you out tremendously!

18. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    Ma Deuce

Ma Deuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado
    yelp is pretty corrupt and they often remove reviews as "suspicious."

The best way to trash a dealer is to keep going back and giving them negative service scores.

19. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    MaDeuce: that's exactly what I plan to do. I have 2 services left, and plan to do everything else myself.

Mazda tried to bs me about the wife's car. Part was under warranty, and they tried to weasel their way out of it. I argued with the general manager and they fixed the issue for no charge. .. is there any honest shops left??
    So tired of this.BS

Chris

20. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    So you think that nitro matters?

You didn't let them know you had locks?

Stop being a bitch. Do it yourself. Dealer hasn't touched mine.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top