Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Regular cab bucket to bench or center seat

Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
4tw is on a distinguished road
4tw's Tacoma Gallery
Regular cab bucket to bench or center seat

Hi I was wondering if I could get some advice. I just bought a regular cab 2013 4 x 4 Tacoma and I relay love it. I have a full size extra cab Ford f250 and wife has a 4 runner so figured I would not need more than two seats. The first thing my twin 7 year olds said when they saw it was where are we going to sit. The more I think about it I know there is going to come a time when I will want to be able to have them both in the truck. It is automatic and there is a center console. Is there a fold down center console seat that could go in the center? What about seat belts? Was there a bench seat option for the RC? Would there be air bag issues?

Thanks in advance

loren
Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
berk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
berk's Tacoma Gallery
I thought all the reg cabs had bench. Mine does! Most guys seem to hate them and want buckets. You might be able to get a trade going.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
4tw's Tacoma Gallery
Hi thanks Berk! Not mine and yea when searching all I could find was people who wanted to get rind of the bench in favor of the buckets. They are comfortable. Do you have a center seat belt? Does it hook on the seat or somewhere on the cab. If I had a third seat belt could let one of them sit on the console in a pinch.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery

I have buckets in a 13 reg cab 4x and love them. The right person would probably trade but you would have a seat belt issue.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Canufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to behold

Army: SP5 Army N Guard  Ret
Name: People who call me say "CANUFIXIT"!
Canufixit's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, My 2012 RC Auto has buckets. IIRC you could not get an auto with a bench. I think the manuals have (or could be optioned?) Bench.

As I'm a big guy I really would prefer the Bench - but per the Idea above and some threads here that talk about removing and doing mods on the center armrest/console I might consider removing it and adding in a decent looking cushion ??

IIRC in some states the vehicle capacity is dependent on Seat belts and/or printed on the registration. Although if you added a seatbelt/shoulder harness to what I said I was thing of doing above , It would be a stretch to have the third/extra seat occupied and have a cop pick up that fact if the seat belt looks Factory at a glance.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The bench seat has a center belt (fastened in this pic). I have 2 girls (12 and 7) and they sometimes ride with me. The little one sits in the middle with her legs off to the right a bit. No issues shifting at all. The center headrest raises up quite a bit. (it's lowered in the pic)

Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone wants to swap for my bench, I'll switch with you.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
4tw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canufixit View Post
Hi, My 2012 RC Auto has buckets. IIRC you could not get an auto with a bench. I think the manuals have (or could be optioned?) Bench.

As I'm a big guy I really would prefer the Bench - but per the Idea above and some threads here that talk about removing and doing mods on the center armrest/console I might consider removing it and adding in a decent looking cushion ??

IIRC in some states the vehicle capacity is dependent on Seat belts and/or printed on the registration. Although if you added a seatbelt/shoulder harness to what I said I was thing of doing above , It would be a stretch to have the third/extra seat occupied and have a cop pick up that fact if the seat belt looks Factory at a glance.

OK that makes sense mine is Auto and there is a big console in the way.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
4tw's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pictures I wonder if I could add factory bench middle seat belts? I get the holes are there I doubt the cabs are any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
The bench seat has a center belt (fastened in this pic). I have 2 girls (12 and 7) and they sometimes ride with me. The little one sits in the middle with her legs off to the right a bit. No issues shifting at all. The center headrest raises up quite a bit. (it's lowered in the pic)

Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tw View Post
Thanks for the pictures I wonder if I could add factory bench middle seat belts? I get the holes are there I doubt the cabs are any different.
You can have my center belt with the seat; I don't need it.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Canufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to behold

Army: SP5 Army N Guard  Ret
Name: People who call me say "CANUFIXIT"!
Canufixit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Well, if we were the same year and same condition and you were closer ... Maybe. But I think I'll look to see if the Armrest comes out and I can get a good looking filler that some on could sit on in a pinch.

My last truck was a GMC Sonoma w/ Ext Cab, Bench with a fold down jump in the Ext cab. So I could do 3 across and one on the jump - Never used the Jump and did not think I needed the Ext cab, Not realizing with the buckets and armrest I now lost two seats and can only carry one passenger. Multiple times now I have needed to carry more than one passenger - go figure ...
Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tw View Post
I'm sure you could. The lap portion of the center belt ties in with the 2 inner mounting points of the driver and passenger lap belts. The shoulder portion and retractor/pretensioner mount behind the seat and I would think that mounting point would be present in all RC regardless of the seating arrangement.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Bob57 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Bob57's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post

Me to!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
4tw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
I'm sure you could. The lap portion of the center belt ties in with the 2 inner mounting points of the driver and passenger lap belts. The shoulder portion and retractor/pretensioner mount behind the seat and I would think that mounting point would be present in all RC regardless of the seating arrangement.
OK good info thanks!