1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member Looking for Dealer Advice…Frustrated

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tonto Goldstein, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oct 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    El Cid

El Cid Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab, 4 cyl, man., SR5
    Used USAA four years ago, but now it seems they are the same as True Car or even using True Car pricing. Try the True Car route and contact as many dealers as you feel comfortable with. I did recently and it worked out pretty good.
    However, it all came down to my talking with five dealerships and visiting two (one twice). At first one, I literally got up and walked out. Second dealer I went to undercut everybody else's discounts by a thousand on a 30,000 vehicle.
    Deal on the last day of the month and last day of quarter if possible.
    Cash went out in the 70's as an advantage. Back then dealers had to do financing or pay for it. Now they get their money day you purchase the car no matter who finances.
    BTW, Toyota was doing a Zero% financing a while back. Check the Toyota site.
    Bottom line is always how scarce and popular the vehicle is vs. the supply. If they can sell everyone they have or can get at near MSRP, why deal? It's the American way.
    Ordering will add to the cost.
    Right now is probably a good time as 2015's are either on the lot or close to coming in, unless you want a 2015-then you have a problem.
    BTW, you can always check out the competition; Nissan Frontier is looking much better. One bargaining point is that Consumer Reports really doesn't think much of the current Tacoma.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. Oct 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    Rockoma5

Rockoma5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Louis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport Lifted
    When it comes to price, you may have to pay more than you want. Look at it this way.... If the one you want is rare and higly desirable, than you will pay to get it. If you don't the next guy will. You should know this if you have been in the business. Supply and demand. And right now, deman for Tacoma is through the roof. Look at this link http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/10/septembers-fastest-and-slowest-selling-pickups.html

As you can see, Tacoma is just not sitting on the lot but rather being sold and quickly. The fastest of any truck out there. If you find the one you want, but it before the next guy does.

Good luck.

3. Oct 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    BTW, you can always check out the competition; Nissan Frontier is looking much better. One bargaining point is that Consumer Reports really doesn't think much of the current Tacoma.[/QUOTE]

How dare you! Drop the ban hammer!

4. Oct 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    judgeman6970

judgeman6970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Long Island, NY
    **Try Lancaster Toyota, great to deal with regarding internet sales. If they have(or can get) what you want, all can be done by phone/email. Charged me $500 under invoice, and I didn't have to fight with them for it, they just gave me their best price right up-front...

5. Oct 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    When I bought mine I knew I wanted a bare bones reg cab 4 x 4 any color but white. I went to a half dozen web sites for dealers near me and put in a request for quote online. . A coupled called repeatedly and said to come in - I said no I want a quote and they just did not listen - no quote no dealer visit.

Only two gave me an immediate quotes via Email - I went to the best dealer /quote a day later and bought it ... Saved a LOT of BS time. (I checked the dealer reviews as well).

The price was about what I wanted to pay - and I got my asking price for my trade in by walking in late afternoon and said - give me 500 more for my trade and I'll go to the bank right now for a Certified bank check. You have 30 min until the bank closes. They did and I did. Dealer is great - Herb Chamber in Central mass.

and .... after the others called back yet gain to ask why I had not stopped in - I told them "U Wanna play Fart around - you just lost!! "

6. Oct 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    judgeman6970

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Long Island, NY
    And they have a blue DCSB 4x4 6-spd in stock.

7. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    TCtaco

TCtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Kinnelon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DCLB Sport
    I'm up in north jersey. I wasted a bunch of time with a dealer in Ramsey, NJ who wanted 1500 over True Car with my options. They definitely thought they had me over a barrel with the DCLB sport I wanted and even told me "this is your dream truck, so you're going to have to pay a little more than you might want". Then I went to Crestmont Toyota up here in Pompton Plains. The "negotiation" lasted about 10 minutes. They gave me the True Car price I wanted minus $100 (for no other reason I can think of except that I asked them for it). I clicked with the sales guy James immediately who was a proud Tacoma owner himself. The service guys were great and had the TRD exhaust and roof rack on the next day. They even let me "consult" them off hours on how to properly install my Undercover Flex tonneau three weeks later once I had it shipped to me. Not sure where you are on your purchase but good luck.

8. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Tonto Goldstein [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Thanks, judgeman. Haha, that's funny you should mention the Blue Ribbon one at Lancaster. I've been eyeing it up for a couple days now. Trying to convince myself that it's not slightly 'blurple'. My first Tacoma was a strange blue, almost purple. Sold it for that reason.

abelincolnsnowstorm2 038.jpg

9. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not sure what you expect, but good luck.

10. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    El Cid

El Cid Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab, 4 cyl, man., SR5
    How dare you! Drop the ban hammer![/QUOTE]
    "You can't handle the truth"????:cool:
    Dealerrater.com may help in locating dealers. One caution is that there really aren't many ratings for most dealerships, so may not be valid.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  11. Oct 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    judgeman6970

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Long Island, NY
    I love the blue ribbon. It was my either/or color, but the silver sky was right in their lot "with my name on it".:D

12. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    central, ms
    Vehicle:
    '15 Prerunner V6 SR5 DCSB
    I used Truecar and it worked well for me. I hate haggling and going back and forth with dealers. Even though a Tacoma was my first choice, I sent in submissions for several different trucks. The US auto companies were the most aggressive. I got an offer for an F150 that was $11K off msrp, just really didn't want a Ford. In general the Toyota dealers were the least responsive and none sent me an actual "offer". I'm sure this is because the Tacoma's sell so well. I emailed back the dealer that was closest and told them I had these Truecar pricing quotes and that's what I intended to pay. They said they would honor those prices.

Like you, my first choice was a 4x4 dbl cab manual. The dealer searched inventory and said there were only 12 in the entire southeast and most of those were orders that were inline for production. Also, even with a good rpice it was really going to stretch my budget so I ended up with a 2015 Prerunner, lower cost and better mpg. I think this was the simplest car purchase I've done and having something like Truecar made dealers compete without me having to speak to anyone until I was ready to.

13. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Here is what I did. I wanted a Pytrite Mica SR5 DC, v6, 4x4. I priced it on True Car. I sent the price I received from True Car to 5 of the internet sales reps to 5 different dealers. I copied them all on the same email. I told them this is what I want, and this is the price I will buy it at, first guy to call me with the truck gets the deal. My phone rang in 15 min. I immediately went to the dealership gave them some cash, they had the truck transported in from about 200 miles away and I picked it up 2 days later.

14. Oct 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    All of the replies are great suggestions. I am grateful for them. Spent the afternoon today creeping around my local Toyota dealer's lot while they were closed, finalizing my color preference. They had every possible choice in stock. As I said before, I've never bought a new car, so all the strategies you guys provided have really made me feel prepared to pull the trigger. When I do, I'll post a pic. Thanks a bunch, again. Awesome community to be a new member of.

15. Oct 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Update:

After all the good advice, I found a truck that matched my criteria at a dealer in PA, about an hour away from me. It is still in transit, so I dealt with the Internet Manager at the dealer and got what I thought was a very good deal. Yesterday, I put a deposit down on it. It's a 2015 DCSB 6-Speed Sport Package in Pyrite Mica. She is scheduled arrive between 10/23 and 10/27. Hoping I can sleep until then. Very excited. Once the transaction is finalized I'll post the name of the dealer and the dude that handled me, both of which I am very pleased with so far. It was worth the leg work, research, and travel time. Their price, professionalism, and accommodation were by far the best I have encountered in a six-week-long process. Now the pressure is off, and it's Christmas Eve for me! 39 years old - first new car, a shiny new Tacoma, is on it's way. Thanks again to all.

16. Oct 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Many sleepless nights for you. Congrats!

17. Oct 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I just used Edmunds , printed it out and took it in to negotiate my deal. I ended up about $900 under MSRP. They have to order it.

I don't know to this date how long that takes, it's been about 3 wks now. Haven't heard a word yet. And I guess the dealer has not heard either.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  18. Oct 18, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    BINGO!!!!!
    You got the right color! Have fun with your new truck!!
    IMG_0362_zps4c970566_230eae2995b92cf3b009a0d144089707773bda04.jpg

19. Oct 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Holy cow, $900 under invoice? How the heck did you do that? I am paying invoice, and thought that was a good deal. Did you have an incentive or rebate that you qualified for?

20. Oct 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Hey Thanks! I thought so. It was between Pyrite, Black, or Silver Sky. GF's favorite is Magnetic Grey. All are great, really, but Pyrite was my first favorite and won out in the end. It's cool how they have a mossy green hue in certain lights, like yours in the picture. Now I have to look for a cap.

Products Discussed in

To Top