1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member Looking for Dealer Advice…Frustrated

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tonto Goldstein, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    Tonto Goldstein

Tonto Goldstein [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Hello and happy weekend to all. Thanks for having me aboard.

Here's the dilemma, and I'm sure it's nothing new.

I have never bought a new vehicle, and I'm in the market for a new Tacoma. After much research, I'm just about certain what I want.

Over the years, I've owned several 1st Generation Tacomas, Pickups, and FJ-60 LandCruisers. My current driver ('02 Crew TRD) is great, but I really want a 6-speed Double Cab Off Road or Sport.

Getting to the point, now:
    As a well-informed consumer with strong product knowledge, I'm having extreme difficulty finding a dealer I can work with. They all seem like pirates holding the booty captive. It's totally frustrating, and I'm about at my wit's end. Would I be better served to order what I want?
    Can anyone recommend a dealer they have had good experiences with in the Southern/Central NJ, Southeastern PA (Philly Suburbs), Northern DE, areas?

I should also note that I have been buying and selling cars on my own for years, and sold used cars professionally.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    If your bank or credit union has a buying program check it. My local credit union got me a price way lower the if I walked into any dealer. They do all legwork, find what you want and finance it. All you have to do is go to the dealer, sign some papers and drive it home.

3. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    I would check with whatever bank,or credit union you use for rates then ask the dealer what they have to offer make them show you the invoice and try and get them down to at least that number. Buying new cars is a hassle and the best way to get the best deal Is find two dealers and make them compete on the best pricing go back and forth with each one that's what I do and it seems to work pretty good.

4. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    NosiBaLasi

NosiBaLasi RESULTS, not excuses

Member:
    First Name:
    Jones
    Home of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force
    Vehicle:
    IG: overlandhd & tacoma_2gen_hq
    All in "My Build" page
    With all the your experience you mentioned you still didn't state what it is that frustrates you. Ordering what you want still doesn't guarantee you a good experience with the dealer when it arrives or during the process. The specs you mentioned are rare and thus highly desirable be prepared to pay MSRP. I only got a $800 off on my deal.

5. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    This. My bank and my insurance company both have the car buying service (Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA Insurance) and so does Costco if you're a member there. I know I can get a great deal if I spend the time negotiating, but a lot of times that gets old fast. So while you may be able to negotiate a slightly better deal on your own (with time and effort) it is worth it to save yourself the hassle to use one of these services.

I used USAA and had 3 dealers contact ME. Found what I wanted and went with the dealer who had exactly what I wanted for the best price.

6. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I bought a 2014 DCSB Sport with the 6 speed at Gateway Toyota in Toms River NJ. They gave me a fair price and treated me great.

David

7. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    Wait for the end of the year, and that's if they have any. I would try emailing dealers around you, ask for invoice. Take the dealer that bites.

8. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    Good luck finding the OR or the sport, I had to order mine.
    These are not that many out there.

9. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    markc6606

markc6606 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    I've dealt with Thompson Toyota outside Doylestown twice now. They've treated me very we'll front sales to help with service. The service manager there is great. I too did my research before buying and was ready with all barrels for the entire sales team, but they seemed to enjoy it as I did. Both times I was happy with the deal I worked. Good luck

10. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    South Jersey we have Liberty usually with a good selection. I went through a dealer in Delaware, kinda member of the family but still had issues long story there. Cherry Hill Toyota is in my area as well as Lawereceville Toyota. But I honestly haven't dealt with any of them. Good luck op

11. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    You're right, I failed to mention the source of my frustration.
    I suppose it's rooted in the fact that I feel the dealers know they have me over the barrel, and aren't giving up much off MSRP. The packages I covet are indeed rare and desirable, and therefore the dealers use it to their advantage.

12. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have looked at Truecar, but never actually tried to use it at a dealer. I made an offer on a leftover 2014 DCSB Sport 6-speed, and the sales manager laughed at me, so I walked out. My offer was in response to his "let me see what I can do" bs, which was basically full list +++. It sold the next day. Joke was on me, I guess.

I'll look into Costco member services as one of you suggested.

13. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Thank you, David.

They actually have a 2014 left in stock, but it's a white one, if I recall.

14. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    You're right about Liberty having a good selection, they have two DCSB TRDOR manuals en route.
    Thank you. All of you guys.

Thus far, I've been relying on Google Reviews for dealership intel, but lots of folks on there just seem angry and vengeful. It's cool to get it from Tacoma people.

15. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    This is a little further than you were speaking of, but Bobby Rahal Toyota in in south central pa is an awesome dealership. No bs from the salesman. They use a 'live market driven' pricing system. The prices are typically lower than other dealerships and the price on the vehicle is the actual selling price. No negotiating annoyances.

They by far have the best customer service in dealerships I have ever experienced.

16. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Thanks, moon death. I'll check them out. Your rig is sweet, btw. That's the color I've pretty much decided on. Pyrite Mica's are rare around these parts. Lots of Silver and Black.

17. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Thanks. I watched their website until the exact truck I wanted popped up. I called them and told them to hold it and went down and put a deposit on it.

18. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Look into local credit unions. I'm telling you mine was $400 lower then the Costco deal. Even if you have to start a new membership at a credit union it's worth it because they have rates under 2% and will find the exact car you want for you. They have arrangements with dealers so they get great pricing and you don't have to deal with the salesman BS.

19. Oct 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    Tonto Goldstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Burl
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
    Cool. I've never had a credit union account, but will look into that as an option. My plan was to pay cash, but that doesn't seem to afford me much leverage. Not yet, at least. The salesman have said that they don't care how I pay. But this is NJ, land of hostility.

20. Oct 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    I went the build your truck online route. When I picked out all the options, I worked three different dealers at the same time whilst kicking back on the computer. Well, this guy will do this for me $$$$, can you beat that type of deal. I got a better price in Portland, but the Bend, Oregon dealer offered to match it.. When they finally got the one I wanted (3 weeks), I just walked in and paid the negotiated price. Best new car buying experience I ever had.

Products Discussed in

To Top