1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma owner, 2014 frame rust question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kenjw, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    kenjw

kenjw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4-cyl., 5-spd
    Hey everyone, I am a first-time Tacoma owner and new member here; thanks for all of the info I have read on here.

The frame rust issue concerns me because I live in a salt-using state (Indiana). Does anyone know if there have been any modifications or upgrades made to this truck's frame to keep the newer models from experiencing the frame rust issue now going up to 2008? A six year old vehicle is just not old enough to rust out, in my opinion, and it's sad to think my truck will have a lifespan that short. I have run other trucks 20 years and 250,000 miles, so I do take care of stuff and like vehicles to last.

Also, since my truck hasn't seen any salt yet (but will soon) are owners of the newer models doing any undercoating or taking other steps to prevent rust?

Thanks for any help.

2. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I used Fluid Film on mine a few weeks ago, which was a few weeks after I got it.

3. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Mike93SVT

Mike93SVT Active Member

Member:
    Deridder, LA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB SR5
    Extend your a/c drain and that will help in that section. Very simple to do. The fluid film is good too

Mike

4. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    kenjw

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice on the Fluid Film. I looked it up. Do you just get the spray cans or the kit with the spray gun?

5. Oct 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Biggest change is the 2009+ Tacoma frames are no longer made by Dana. Doesn't mean the newer ones won't rust too but it is a difference nonetheless.

6. Oct 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    kenjw

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Good to know about the change in frame suppliers; I agree, it's not any guarantee that the new ones are better but given the attention the problem has received and the money it's cost the company, you'd think they'd just beef it up a little to avoid future problems.

Also, on the a/c drain issue, one thing I have noticed about this truck is you have to leave it parked 15 minutes or so before you see any condensate from the a/c, which might support what you have implied about water in that system hanging up in certain places and possibly worsening this issue.

7. Oct 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I used the spray cans. It took 2.5 cans, IIRC. I bought a case of 12 off Amazon for something like $77, so I should be all set for quite a few years. I plan to do it each fall before the snow sets in. I've seen others say they do it spring and fall.

8. Oct 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    kenjw

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Cool, I will order some. But since we talked about this I went outside and crawled under the truck. The issue I see is that it could be difficult to get this stuff to the places where it probably matters the most, such as the cracks and crevices where parts are welded or bolted together, the top area up next to the body, etc. It will make me feel better to put this stuff on, and for the money the Fluid Film costs compared to the potential benefit it's a no-brainer to do it. I just hope it does some good.

9. Oct 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    Lots of threads on TW dealing with this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/310580-tacoma-rust-prevention-experiment.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/344874-fluid-film-question.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/307427-should-i-get-undercoating-applied.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/302425-fluid-film-rust.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/299334-undercoating.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/277203-rust-prevention.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/197023-rust-prevention.html

etc.

search- type in rustproofing and select all threads

10. Oct 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    I Fluid Filmed my 2012 w/ 8K miles on it last week. (due to low usage it looked almost new underneath). I bought the 1 gal kit with upgraded spray gun 5 spray cans w/ ext nozzle and extension wands. I used probably about a gallon and a couple cans- but I just did not do the frame outside.. I did inside frames, inside doors, Took the large cover off the tailgate and did inside, fenders bumpers, entire bottom of vehicle, etc.

Took a few hours using my compressor and 2 ramps. pressure washed it first. IT was VERY messy (do it on your lawn not the driveway), and I hate working on my back under my vehicle (makes me dizzy). But it's done, looks good and I think the inside areas I did will be good for years and I'll touch up the underneath every tear or so. I was happy with the outcome.

11. Oct 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Definitely messy. I used full goggles and a face mask. Plan on a shower after. The results are well worth it though.

12. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    kenjw

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the comments and the links to other threads. I read all of them. One offhand comment though. I am surprised by how many of the posts in these threads make comments like, "If you're in a high-salt area most vehicles will rust." That was true 30 years ago but now, not so much. I have an '03 Chevy Trailblazer and the frame looks great. I realize that every vehicle has different issues and the perfect one has yet to be made, but you'd think this could be addressed since it's by no means a universal or even a common problem on vehicles anymore.

Products Discussed in

To Top