1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would this 6in Lift work?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr Ribby, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Just curious if this setup would work, or what all extra parts I would need. Not looking for opinions on why to or why not to go with a DB lift, just exploring all ideas. (Little to no mechanical experience) Thanks! Truck would see some off roading, mild trails (fun stuff) nothing hard core (DD truck), a lot of hunting. Any input is appreciated, please keep the 3in Vs 6in discussion to a minimum. Thanks TW community

BDS 6in Coil-Over http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=12&mo=45&ty=1&yr=2005-2014

New UCAs (Total chaos or Icon) Maybe new LCAs
    Would the stock length Total Chaos UCA & LCA work with this lift? Stock factory ones are so cheap and garbage. Has anyone had experience with an icon Upper and a TC lower? Just for shits and giggles

Then could I swap the 4in rear blocks for a 4in lift leaf pack? How does that work? Does 4in leaf pack replace 4in block? Would there be a downside to having that big of a leaf pack over blocks? If it doesn't work like that how big of a leaf pack would I need to get the truck level with the front.

or is their a better way to get the rear level in the front. From my understanding blocks create a lot problems.

2. Oct 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Looks to be a complete kit. I suggest you have a pro install since there is cutting and welding involved with 6" kits. I would think the TC arms would work with it because they don't supply you with new arm for kit. You would be using the stock arms. I'm a 3" guy though so my xp is not the best with this.

3. Oct 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now

Here's my question why are you going to buy a kit that has parts you're not going to use to have to spend money on more parts that you can use?

4" blocks... I ran them. They rode like shit. Enough said.
    4" leaf pack at least 600.00 more to have made from Alcan or someone else.
    You still need uppers so that's another 500.00.

From reviewing the standard 6" lift and this one you're spending about 1500-1600 extra for the fox resi's.

I also don't see a carrier bearing spacer or any real axle shims.
    I would look for a better kit. You could also run into the problem of drive shaft length issues.

All this coming from a guy who just took his 6" kit off and went back to 3"

4. Oct 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Like I said, I'm not an expert on these lifts.

5. Oct 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop
    Yeah, I'd probably pass. UCA's are gonna be almost a necessity, and no way I'd put those bigass blocks in the rear. even if you aren't gonna wheel.

6. Oct 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    StealthTaco

StealthTaco www.ecgfabrication.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tacoma TRD Sport 6-speed
    The BDS kit is awesome. You do NOT need new UCAs since its a drop bracket lift. I have the rear block and it rides fine in my opinion. Too many people expecting their Tacoma to ride like a luxury car

7. Oct 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    So would I be better of buying say a procomp bracket, and then installing icon coils/shocks with a custom leaf pack for back?

The only thing I wouldn't be using in the BDS package is the blocks??? It would be a pro shop doing my install, they deal through BDS and zone suspension, So the 3.5k wouldn't be what I actually pay for the package. All I have heard about the BDS setup is positive, so that's why I was pointing in that direction.

On another note, those hydro graphix you do are BADASS, Lehman! I was just on your website scrolling through the pictures, you defiantly have my business if I come up with some extra money!

8. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    StealthTaco

StealthTaco www.ecgfabrication.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tacoma TRD Sport 6-speed
    You can't beat the warranty of BDS. If you're going to do a drop bracket I'd use the kit itself

9. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    yeah I think that's what makes it so attractive

10. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    A few guys in this thread....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/43093-fabtech-procomp-6-lift-more-pictures-517.html

have swapped out UCA's & LCA's with their DB kits. It is not necessary though. The few that "have" upgraded do a bunch of rock crawling.

Most of the guys that tossed the rear blocks or in some cases a block/add-a-leaf combo, went with full leaf packs like an Alcan. I think the most recent quote I saw for 6" lifts was over $700. And you can see a bunch of this talk in the above thread also.

I've always heard positve things about BDS products....I don't think you'll be disappointed.....especially if you ditch the blocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top