1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best way to get power to back of truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paleus, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    Paleus

Paleus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TSS 4x4
    What's the best way to get power for bed lights? Right now I have them hooked up to the accessory power in the trailer plug. The problem with this is that it is switched with the key. I would like to have constant power so I can hit the switch in the bed to turn the lights on without turning the key on. Is there any "always on" power at the back of the truck to tap into?

2. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    kn61408

kn61408 Retired old fart

Member:
    western washington
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DCLB sport pyrite mica
    12v always on power point mod, tailgate anti-theft, Addl bed tiedowns, flyzeye dash lights, map lites with dome lite mod, bed stiffeners, air bags, brake controller, always on fog lights,
    No, there is no constant 12v in the bed of the truck. The best way is to run a new 12v line from the fuse box under the hood via a fuse (20A would be good) along the frame rail to an accessory terminal block mounted either in the storage boxes or the pockets above the wheel wells. Search for other threads here on the subject. While you're at it, add a 12v power point at a location of your convenience (like in the small storage box next to the 115v outlet). Good luck!

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 5:01 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    I'd do it this way

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    I got a couple of cheap and great bed lights at auto zone. They are about 10'' long, very thin LED flexible strips with a peel and stick back. I popped out the little boxes on each side of the bed and droped the wires through there so no cutting/drilling required, and stuck them to the underside of the bed rails on either side.

As for power, i rigged them with my interior lights, so if a door is open, the lights are on. You can snag a ground-side-switched wire from the dome light, down the B pillar, out one of the rubber plugs under your drivers seat, and then you can switch your lights that way. If i need light, i just pop a door open.

I ran hot 12v back from a fuse panel under the hood, and down the frame rail, and hooked it in.

Products Discussed in

To Top