1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking steering rack - yay

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrWang, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Jareds Toyota

Jareds Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport
    Ive got the same problem. I'm just going to ride it out until it really starts to leak. Rarely ever have to add PS fluid so its no big deal

2. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    mkrespke

mkrespke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4
    Do you have a part number? There isn't one called out as the 4x4 version. The RWD version is mentioned.

Reason why I ask is I have spent the weekend at NAPA looking at part numbers PS 361706 and PS 361709. Neither worked for my 4x4 truck. The mounting points for the steering rack are closest to the front of the truck on the two NAPA part numbers, when I needed them on the other side of the rack to work for my truck.

If you click on the picture for the A-1 CARDONE Part # 262647, the mounting points look correct, even though it is listed for RWD vehicles.

If you click on the picture for the A-1 CARDONE Part # 262629, the mounting points look like they are closest to the front of the vehicle and wouldn't work for my 4x4 truck. I assume this is the $250 rack you are mentioning. Not sure how much faith to put into the pictures, but this rack is listed for base model and pre runners.

3. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    NavyNavy

NavyNavy Active Member

Member:
    Just get it from autozone. Dont have to pay any shipping. Dont have to ship a core back. Easy day. Replacing the rack is pretty easy job. Did one on a avalon few months back. Total after alignment was less than $600

4. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I don't know why people are saying to just replace the boots. Boots only protect the steering shafts from contaminants. Your problem is the seals. My suggestions are.

A: Get the rack replaced ASAP

B: Flush the PS with Dex 3 stop leak http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1-P?navigationPath=L1*14924|L2*15037|L3*16133
    You'll need maybe 3 to do a full flush, but get 4 for top offs so you can make it cross country.

C: Buy a rack http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15011|L3*15752 to take with you on the trip just in case. Never know when those seals will give out completely.

Removing and installing a rack isn't too bad, I just did it to replace my bushings, but you will want to get an alignment after for sure. Once you get to MD, if you haven't done the job yet, I can do it for cheaper than a shop minus the alignment if you want to save a little cash.

BassAckwards likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2015 at 7:24 PM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Old thread I know but figured it was better than starting a new one for the same issue. I was wondering if you got yours fixed or left it like it was for a while longer. Mine is looking like this as well. Not sure yet if it's the tie rods or seals. I've got an extended warranty so I'll be dropping by the dealership as soon as I can.

Passenger side:

Drivers side:

6. Aug 1, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    That's the seals on the rack. Tie rods don't produce fluid like that

7. Aug 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    thats what I figured. Guess it's a replacement then. May also be a rod though as every now and then depending on how the wheel is turned if I hit a bump I can feel the front end bump as well like a metal to metal sort of bump. I'll be swinging by the dealership to have them check it out. Put the extended warranty to use.

8. Aug 6, 2018 at 5:48 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Any more results? Reviving thread because my 2007 is leaking. Looking like I will replace it myself if I can.

9. Aug 6, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Toyota put in an after market rack during my frame swap , $400 , labor free.

Products Discussed in

To Top