Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

mud flaps

Old 10-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Banned
Audible is on a distinguished road
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Question mud flaps

Anyone removed their mud flaps on the TRD models. I'm mostly hwy and the stock flaps are just a bit too much for me. What does everyone else think?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
cut em up!!! a few of us on here have. i think i cut off about 4" or a lil more all the way around. made a big difference in looks. if u take them off, ur truck will get dirty way quicker...not to mention road debris coming up. i know from experience...
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
cut em up!!! a few of us on here have. i think i cut off about 4" or a lil more all the way around. made a big difference in looks. if u take them off, ur truck will get dirty way quicker...not to mention road debris coming up. i know from experience...

how did you cut yours jhodge?? i've been thinking about taking off around 2 or 3 inches all the way around.....just not sure yet.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I kept mine on due to winter time. The slush and crap does a number if you have no mudflaps. Also when I tow less debris goes back on my trailer.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
gegundez will become famous soon enough
gegundez's Tacoma Gallery
Had to come off for the 33" BFGs. Get really muddy in there. Way in there.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
how did you cut yours jhodge?? i've been thinking about taking off around 2 or 3 inches all the way around.....just not sure yet.
what i did was pencil on a line and cut them off w/ tin snips and tried to file down the edges as good as i could
Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
what i did was pencil on a line and cut them off w/ tin snips and tried to file down the edges as good as i could
cool, thats what i was thinking. well,either tin snips or a good razor knife. i may end up doing it before too long.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

the front ones are way easier to do. i would recommend tin snips on the front b/c they'll go easier...and then score a good line or two on the back ones and then cut those. the back ones are thicker and a lil harder...i forgot about that.

EDIT: forgot something else....after u cut off the front ones, u can flip them around and use them as templates for the rears. i think after u cut a good one from the front u can use it on the other front side to get a nice line on it.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
CornDog is on a distinguished road

CornDog's Tacoma Gallery
well im down here in alabama. no snow for MILES. lol i jus took mine completely off. i LOVE the look, havent thought about cutting them tho. my gf's driveway has a REAL bad dip coming in off the road an whenever i back out the frontones ALWAYS scrub. I HATED THAT. but now that yal mention cutting i think i try it. but jus for the heck of it the truck does look great w/o flaps and i havent had ne road debris coming up........yet...., i drive round 900 miles a week goin back and forth to work.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
My dad took the flaps off his Xterra and now he has a bunch of chips in his paint along the bottom underneath his doors. He does alot of hungting and drives down alot of dirt/gravel roads and the tires keep kicking stuff up onto his body. Personally i encourage people to keep the flaps. I have a chip in my windshield from some dick in a F150. he was in front of me on the interstate, i heard a loud noise from teh windshield and then saw a chip in it. The guy in front of me had a big 4x4 F150 wiht no mudflaps.... i he had flaps it wouldnt have happened.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
i took mine off and sold them on e-bay
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
Banned
Audible is on a distinguished road
Audible's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are off as of Sunday. I cleaned them up & stored them away. In So Cal we never get any rain (infact we are having a dust storm right now) and my truck does not see dirt often. I do go to the mountains to snow ski once or twice a year. I can always slap them on for a ski trip...it only took me 15 minutes to get them all off. I took an hour to clean the paint where thay had been rubbing. Plus I actually think it look higher now without them.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #13

CornDog's Tacoma Gallery
gotta be careful tho audible. i noticed where they have rubbed the paint off my flares......... i took um off about a month after i had the truck. and even then there was wore spots.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
Bigman_CP is on a distinguished road
Bigman_CP's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Bigman_CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDog View Post
my gf's driveway has a REAL bad dip coming in off the road an whenever i back out the frontones ALWAYS scrub. I HATED THAT.
My front ones rub too when going over a big bump or hole. More so in reverse though. It is definatley time for a trim...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
lineberw is on a distinguished road
lineberw's Tacoma Gallery
Take Em off

Take Em off
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #16

CornDog's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

hey i jus wanted to update on the mudflaps i took mine off for a while....Loved the look tooooo.....but the mud started flying and i started spending WAY to much time washing. so i put um bak on an trimmed the heck out of them. took off like 7 1/2 inches. they help out alot now and dont look so ugly on the truck.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #17
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
here in TX no snow and i don't go through mud so i just took mine off too... hadn't thought about sellin em on ebay tho... good idea
Old 11-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman_CP View Post
My front ones rub too when going over a big bump or hole. More so in reverse though. It is definatley time for a trim...
yo bro where in illinois are you at?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
here in TX no snow and i don't go through mud so i just took mine off too... hadn't thought about sellin em on ebay tho... good idea
i took mine off and sold them on ebay, got $140 for the set
Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I am with ndcouch, they do protect your paint job, as well as the guy behind you. The value in function is often unrealized by the beckon of fashion.