1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade Question for you MidTravel Gurus!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr Ribby, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Oct 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Didn't think about the fact that it would preload it just to get it in. I thought 14's fit.

2. Oct 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    ProPhaze777

ProPhaze777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yakima,wa
    Vehicle:
    '14 trd offroad black
    How would one achieve 2" of lift while still having the up and down travel equalized and ride quality like Icons factory preset? Maybe an 2x tended coilover? I see everyone's got there's cranked to 3" but then who was down travel and plush ride?

3. Oct 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    Lol This definitely turned into the mid travel thread 2.0. Good stuff guys.

4. Oct 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I was just saying lol but if you really want advice go Icon 2.5 Resevoir shocks and coilovers with CDC.

5. Oct 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers

I agree. I wish I would have went with the 2.5'' rear shocks with the CDC that's where the truck needs the most dampening. I see all the LT guys say all the time build the rear of the truck before the front end.

6. Oct 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM
    RevoTaco

RevoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 08 6SP 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    I've been eying Icons basically ever since I got my Taco.

At this point, I'm really trying to understand what I am looking at. I have a few questions:

What is the major advantages between the tubular UCA's and the billet ones? Is it really worth the extra $500?

What are the differences and advantages/disadvantages to the CDC valving I keep seeing? Compared to the regular coil over without it? Compared to bypass shocks?

I've more or less decided to go with at least a stage 5 so I can get 2.5" shocks front and rear, but I wanted to know if it was worth going into higher stages than that.

7. Oct 16, 2014 at 4:11 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    As far as the UCA's they are going to preform basically the same, you will be paying for the bling factor.

As far as the CDC valves I've never been in a truck with adjustable dampening. My question is how much "seat of the pants" difference will you feel? Is it worth the extra 250 bucks? I wouldn't mind having it if it truly makes a difference. Being able to tune the shocks would be nice.

I don't see resivors in the front a necesity unless you absolutly want the CDC in the front. You would really have to work the truck to get the C/O's hot enough to where you would need the extra oil capacity.

I want 2.5's in the rear for that extra dampening with a good set of leafs.

I would save the money get 2.5" fronts 2.5" rears with resi's Tube UCA's and an actual leaf pack instead of an AAL.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  8. Oct 16, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    14Tacoma

14Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Hampshire
    How many miles on your baja suspension?

I've been looking to buy the fronts.

9. Oct 16, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    ProPhaze777

ProPhaze777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yakima,wa
    Vehicle:
    '14 trd offroad black
    I'd go 2.5 CDC with resi all around and tubular UCAs, and from what I've read a full leaf pack though my AAL works fine for me.

Or front ext 2.5, s2 kit, lower skids or LCAs, tubular ucas, secondary shock with bypass, rear 2.5 omega bypass w/ resi

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  10. Oct 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Up travel is better than down travel. So it's not a bad thing. Anytime you increase ride height, your decreasing down travel (unless your lift is obtained by a lift spindle on 2WD)

If your adding a plate bumper and a winch, 700's are needed. W/o them, a 650 needs to be preloaded so much that it can go into coil bind or make the ride horrible.

A long spring won't help at all since
    1. it would have to be preloaded to even fit in the coilover
    2. Now that it is already loaded some just to fit, your now preloading it again to get the ride height since you have not added any spring rate than before, just length. But now, your compressing that coil closer, and running the risk of coil bind.

When stepping up rate, and keeping same length, All that does is make it less preload needed to obtain the lift height. Don't confuse this with up/down travel ratio. That's all in the ride height of the vehicle. Which will not change unless you are ok with a lower ride height. But having more up travel is not bad. You bottom out more than you droop out. Your not fighting the truck coming off the ground, your fighting the suspension from bottoming out.

11. Oct 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Or a drop bracket lift on a 4x4 ;)

For daily driving I feel like lack of downtravel is why everyone complains about a bad ride. Pot holes and speed bumps cause my suspension to run out of droop.

I would definitely agree that up travel is important for high speed stuff though! When you run out of up travel in the whoops you start bucking and can wreck... When you run out of down travel you just get a little rougher ride.

12. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    HectoRome

HectoRome Playing Scientist In The PNW

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    Hey Vince,

Would running 2.5 Non Resi Coil Overs up front and running 2.5 Resi CDC in the rear with a Leaf Packs be an ideal set up over 2.5 Resi Non CDC on all 4 corners w/rear Leaf Packs.

The reason I'm asking is their seems to be a few people with the opinion that 2.5 Coil Overs do not need Resi up front . . .

13. Dec 12, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    No. You have a ton more weight up front. The extra oil help keeps the shock temps down. The truck would be unbalanced. If it was only street driven or slow crawl stuff, then it would be ok. but anything that will see speeds, you don't want the shock to fade on you.

14. Dec 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    HectoRome

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    Gotcha ! !

But you would still recommend CDC for the rear tho ?

15. Dec 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    It doesnt hurt! Especially being able to soften up rear when unloaded.

16. Dec 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    HectoRome

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You Fucker , Now I'm going to have to go CDC ! ! !

Products Discussed in

To Top