1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders substituting for winter weight??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by calico, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Oct 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    calico

calico [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    I will soon be installing my SOS sliders with the detachable steps once I get them back from the powdercoaters. They are a heavy set. My question is: although they sit forward of the rear axle, will it still be necessary to add bed weight over the rear axle to assist with traction when winter arrives, or will there be enough weight distributed over a greater area to avoid having to add additional weight?

2. Oct 15, 2014 at 2:02 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    No-one here can tell how much or if any additional weight is needed as we don't know the specific road conditions in which you will be driving. Just play it by ear and add more weight if you think it necessary. Personally, I prefer not to add useless weight like sandbags but rather things like hi-lift jacks, shovels and other equipment. A topper too will give you a bit more traction and is a useful addition.

3. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:00 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    I drive in the winter with no weight in the bed without issues.

4. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:08 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    4wd and I never used weight. I have Shrockwork sliders and really don't think they helped that much.
    In 2wd you wouldn't get through most of the roads here in winter time and would have trouble even with added weight.

5. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:13 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    While adding weight to the vehicle is a common practice to achieve starting traction I would remind you that it also causes stopping problems because of inertia. The more weight the harder it is to stop so while you might gain some ability to start moving you lose proportionally in stopping ability regardless where the weight is placed.

Also keep in mind the rule of thumb is that you lose a 1 to 2 percent mpg for every 100 pounds of added weight.

In my opinion the best way to gain all the way around is a good set of winter tires, not added weight to the truck. ;) Click the link and watch the short video on how tires are the best and safest answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    calico

calico [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    Thank you for the replies, but I wasn't interested in adding the sliders for the sake of adding weight, but more to use the steps included with the sliders. Just wondering, though, if I could avoid adding additional weight later once winter sets in.

7. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    they wont be heavy enough to make a substantial difference. if you needed to add weight prior, you will more than likely still need to add weight after.

8. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I have six Home Depot buckets full of sand that I use. No way your sliders are that heavy.

9. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My original set of tires - when they got older and thinner (tread), I would lower my tires pressure a few lbs and add sandbags.

When I got new tires .....I haven't had to do anything and haven't had issues.

I'm sure, when these tires get old and thin, I'll need a little help.

10. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    In Dallas we get ice...and Ebola. The sand helps with the ice.

11. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Never needed weight in NY. That little 4 wheel drive switch is all I ever needed.

12. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have 4wd now, but I started with 2wd. Sand is good if you get stuck too. Been stuck in the driveway with the 2wd.

13. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    TXPROMAN

TXPROMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    Same here. No weight.

14. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Weight in the bed helps for sure , pretty hard to argue that with a pickup

15. Oct 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    this..

hell, i have weight in the bed now.. for when it rains. these rear ends are definitely light. that plus im breaking in the new leaf pack :eek:

16. Oct 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Agree with your statement Pete if you are adding weight strickly for lower speed traction....inversely, adding weight increases stopping distances exponentionally on wet,or frozen surfaces..increasing the vehicles Mass increases its Energy, thus its Force equalling stopping distance.
    Energy=Force X Distance (E=F x d).
    There is a fine line of how much weight added is beneficial.

17. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

You would be better off getting rid of ABS rather than worrying about adding a passenger's weight equivalent to the bed for snow and ice

Do you refuse to take passengers if it's snowing ? Lol

18. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Not at all.....so long they lay still in the bed.......;)

19. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Larger the better

20. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    You can avoid adding weight by using 4WD whenever you anticipate things getting slippery. .

Products Discussed in

To Top