Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wiring a winch on/off switch

Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

58 Siesta's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring a winch on/off switch

Yesterday my Warn front and rear wiring kits came from Summit Racing. Since My CBI front hitch is due to be delivered today, I focused on the rear yesterday. My current winch is a Warn 8000i on an external receiver. I ran the power cables from the rear, mounted the switch solenoid and got all the wires run and connected to the solenoid. The switch is mounted and plugged in. I just need to ground the switch and splice the hot wire to the ignition with the provided clip lock.

This is the third truck this winch has been on, but it's the first time I've run wires to the rear and the first time using a solenoid and switch. They've always just been wired directly to the battery.

How do I know which wire to splice into? I'm guessing the purpose is so the switch (and therefor the winch) won't work with the key off. Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to be doing this over the upcoming Christmas holiday for my father-in-law, so I'm curious as to what info is provided.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed58 Siesta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hitch installed and wired for winching, except the in cab ground and the hot wire to the ignition. Will post a couple pics when done. There's already a good install thread on the hitch, so I didn't take pics of that.

Still hoping for suggestions/ pics of where to connect the hot wire. The easiest part of a job is often the crux for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure of what you are asking really. Do you want to know where to install a hot wire so it's on when the key is in the ignition in the 'on' position?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #7

Basically, yes. The warn kit has a switch for the wiring solenoid (not the winch solenoid) so that I don't always have power running to my winch power wires. The instructions say to attach the hot wire for the switch to a hot wire on the ignition. A snap lock splicer is provided.

All I need to know is what ignition wire to splice to my switch. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
TacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
TacomaTruckParts's Tacoma Gallery
Search for "fog light installation". Use an "add-a-fuse" to tap into a power source that is on only when the ign. is on.
basically, you are adding a switch, that you only want powered when the truck is running.

Check post #25 here. There is a picture of where power was pulled for fog light switches.

Jesse
Old 10-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #9

A step in the right direction. Thank you. Going to a friend's to watch the Patriots, and he's really good at wiring. We'll Get R Done tonight. Stoked.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Not really what you are looking for but I just have a heavy switch between the battery and winch power. No power to it at all unless I want it.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #12

last post to kill this thread. Got R Done. Used the snap lock supplied by Warn to tap into the power line for one of the 12v outlets. Had to get a little western with it to get it out though. Good news is the switch works and I'm wire front and rear for the winch.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
itsmemattp is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
itsmemattp's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have pics of the winch setup?