1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RPM's surge when shifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Goosedog, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    Goosedog

Goosedog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Whenever I up-shift my '09 V6 manual 6 speed and engage my clutch at the same time I lift my foot off the gas pedal, the engine's RPM's surge like my foot was still on the gas. You can hear it and watch the gauge go up a couple thousand too, while my foot is nowhere near the pedal. Any guesses?

2. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    How many miles? that usually points to a clutch?? I forget the exact way to test this though. I think you start truck, put vehicle in highest forward gear, so if 5-speed 5th, if 6-speed 6th etc.... let clutch out completely with foot on the brake, truck should stall immediately. If it chatters first or slowly stalls the clutch it toast.

I think the other test is, get at highway speeds 50-65 ish, in the highest forward gear try to accelerate. Truck should slowly pickup speed, if it revs out the clutch is toast.

3. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Does it still shift smooth?
    Anyway, try cleaning your throttle body with some break cleaner.
    The ecu on the truck should self adjust to lower rpm's when shifting so, I spose it could be the ecu but doubtful.
    Suspect it could be clutch related but if it shifts smooth and no squeal then check throttle body.

4. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    The RPM's shouldn't go up more than 500 rpm when you press the clutch in.
    They will how ever maintain a constant rpm for about 1-1.5 seconds.

The reason they will go up is that when you press the clutch IN the engine has no load on it. So the engine is free to turn faster.
    You can control this to some degree by how fast you press the clutch pedal in and how soon you let off the gas before you press the clutch pedal.

The reason it "Maintains" the RPM between shift is, from what I was told,
    Is that is has something to do with smoother shifts. It's electronically controlled.

It should NOT go up 2,000 RPM. Not unless there is fuel being supplied to the engine. You need to have it checked.

5. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    Goosedog

Member:
    Thanks I will do the clutch test although I've not felt it slip when accelerating at speed on the interstate. I should probably clean the TB anyway with 90k miles on the clock. Also I should edit my original post to read a couple hundred, (not thousand) the tach shows when shifting ...my bad. Maybe as Shooter says, it's designed to do this but I feel it's gotten more so in recent weeks. I've had the truck since last spring.

6. Oct 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    Mine seemed to go up more when it was COLD. But the truck was on High Idle then as well. Once it was warm, it went back to "Normal"
    Maybe 200 or so like you are seeing.

7. Oct 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    normal

8. Oct 16, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    Goosedog

Member:
    Hmmm, maybe it's always done it but now with cold weather here and the windows up I hear it more. I never use AC in the summer and always have the wind in my ear.

9. Oct 16, 2014 at 6:31 AM
    Supramacy

Supramacy Well-Known Member

Member:
    That is a normal condition. Shooter hit it spot on.

10. Oct 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I believe it's normal, something to do with the smog control system.

Products Discussed in

To Top