1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie needs help with 5100 issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by themouth, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    themouth

themouth [OP] Member

Member:
    Long Island, New York
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    A.R.E shell. Rigid light bar on Nfab mount.
    I've got a 2006 Double Cab long bed, SR5. It came stock with the 245 tires. I also have an ARE topper on the bed that adds some weight to the rear.

I want to get a more aggressive look for my truck, as it appears a little wimpy with the 245 tires. I don't do a lot of offroading, just some occasional beach driving.

I wanted to put the 5100's on all four corners to get a little lift, and add 265x75r16 tires. I have never gotten the rear leaf TSB done, and I am not dissatisfied with my current ride.

After doing all the research that I could, I believe I have to add some kind of lift to the rear to get the truck level if I want to set the fronts at 1.75". My question is, do I need to get the TSB rear spring fix, or can I add a spacer (or block, I'm not sure of the correct term) to the existing springs? I am still under warranty. Could someone advise me of what my options are/what to do? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Apr 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You COULD add a block but you'd be better off with an AAL. But honestly, I'd go with the TSB. It's free. Hell, you could get the TSB which comes with Bilsteins all around, take those off for your 5100's, and sell them for a few bucks to offset the 5100's cost.

The only way to know for sure is to measure. See how high the truck is off the ground at all 4 wheels and then you'll know.

Why do you feel the need to go with 1.75" anyway? .85" would be fine if you aren't going to lift the rear. Are you worried about the 265's fitting? If so, they fit fine without any lift at all which is exactly the setup I currently have.

3. Apr 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Hounddog

Hounddog Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '08 taco
    This is my set up - it's another alternative to the TSB or AAL or block. It may not be as common, but it may or may not fit your needs.

I also have a topper as well as a roll-out cargo bed and all my tools stuffed in the back of my truck. I was getting some very serious rear sagging so I added a set of airbags to help combat the sag.

I have recently added Billy 5100's set at 2.5, and to level out the truck, I merely added a few more pounds of air in the rear bags.

There are less expensive ways to gain lift in the rear, but in my case, hauling a heavy payload on a daily basis, airbags made the most sense. Plus when I pull my trailer, I can even add more air to the bags and maintain a level stance.

I run a 265/75/16 tire - hope this helps. Oh, I should mention that I have the Canadian Taco, so these trucks have the extra leaf in the rear. I'm also going to try an AAL and see how the ride is.

RiverCoveandLiams3Bday020_896dbc8c949588486712ec4da806ebd9f50307ba.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top