Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cannot turn key/start car to the right in ignition

Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
bluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant future
bluejays's Tacoma Gallery
Cannot turn key/start car to the right in ignition

hi guys. i could not start my car out of the parking lot today. when i insert the key, i cannot twist it to the right. it is locked somehow. i've tried inserting it with my backup keys but still it cannot move in the ignition. i tried for 2 hrs and my friend finally gave me a ride. my car is still at the parking lot at the gym and i have no idea how to turn it on. has this happened to anyone before? is there something I need to do to get it working? thank you!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried moving the steering wheel while you turn the key? Sometimes it locks and you have to pull down on the wheel!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Yup just try and move steering wheel back and fourth it should work then!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
yep....steering wheel locked on ya creating a bind in the ignition. Has happened to me a couple of times. Just turn the wheel in the opposite direction its trying to go. It'll unlock it.

you know he's already on the road to go get it....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
This happened to me as well. I was mad.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
It freaked me out when it happened. wiggle the steering wheel while turning the key
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
bluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant futurebluejays has a brilliant future
hey guys, it worked!! thank you so much. why does it lock up like that anyways? i didn't do anything when i turned off the car. i just left it in 1st gear with my e-brakes on. why did it just lock up like that?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
itzdaREV is on a distinguished road

itzdaREV's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itzdaREV
helps with theft. cant start the car by hotwiring it if the steering wheel locks. you might have turned the wheel a little bit after you turned off the ignitions. all the cars i have driven have done it.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
This happens to every car...just don't turn the wheel after stopping the engine. Usually you hear it click when it gets locked.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Pilot
Name: Rick
Rickochet's Tacoma Gallery
If all else fails read the owners manual. It says to turn the wheel if you have trouble turning the ignition key.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious.......is this your 1st vehicle??
Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
Just curious.......is this your 1st vehicle??
Hey! Don't pick on him. I've got a white beard and called AAA a few years back when we couldn't get my wife's key to turn.

In my defense, it took both the keyman and myself to turn the wheel to let the lock move. It had gotten bound up on the slight hill the van was parked on.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
Hey! Don't pick on him. I've got a white beard and called AAA a few years back when we couldn't get my wife's key to turn.

In my defense, it took both the keyman and myself to turn the wheel to let the lock move. It had gotten bound up on the slight hill the van was parked on.
If it locks when on a hill, I recommdend bouncing the front end to release the pressure on the system (truck's steering), which will allow you to turn the key. It used to happen on my old civic when I was in high school
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
In this guys defense, the wheel is a bitch to unlock.
At least its more difficult than that Camaro I had.
I did figure it out in the first 2 hours though
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #17
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post

I'm not picking on him, just asked because I noticed the various "how to drive" threads he also started and quite honestly it is slightly scary that he is out there driving on the roads if he has to ask all those questions on a forum. I tend to think people should learn those things from drivers ed or having someone else drive with them and teach them until they are proficient.
My 1st vehicle was a manual transmission and I didn't hit the road alone till I was fully capable of driving it and understood how to drive it. I've also taken the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course along with defensive driving school, so who am I to question his driving skills, just glad he doesn't live near me.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
I'm not picking on him, just asked because I noticed the various "how to drive" threads he also started and quite honestly it is slightly scary that he is out there driving on the roads if he has to ask all those questions on a forum. I tend to think people should learn those things from drivers ed or having someone else drive with them and teach them until they are proficient.
My 1st vehicle was a manual transmission and I didn't hit the road alone till I was fully capable of driving it and understood how to drive it. I've also taken the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course along with defensive driving school, so who am I to question his driving skills, just glad he doesn't live near me.
Wow i just went back through the threads started and it is a little scaryy....
Old 04-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
hey thanks for the help on this situation guys. don't worry i practice driving in empty areas
Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Desert Rat
AzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to allAzPrerunner05 is a name known to all

AzPrerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
hey thanks for the help on this situation guys. don't worry i practice driving in empty areas
No worries. But get yourself a bumper replacement and you might get rid of the red rep square. J/k
Have fun out there man!