1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tires and she pulls to the right

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Notoneiota, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota [OP] Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    I did search before posting but everyone who seems to have this problem seems to have a lift, more miles, and much larger tires...

So, last week, I had a new set of Cooper A/TWs installed in 265/70R17 (stock Dunlops were 265/65R17). From the moment I pulled out of the parking lot of the tire shop, I noticed it pulls to the right pretty good. I initially thought it was just the road, or maybe the extra grippy-ness of the new tires. I then took a little 700 mile road trip and it pulls right in all conditions: left lane, right lane, highway, back roads, gravel, etc. If I let go of the wheel, it immediately starts tugging to the right.

My truck suspension is 100% stock. I have 2,300 miles on my truck. The tires are 1 size bigger than stock.

Would the bigger tires throw things a little out of whack? I don't feel like paying for an alignment check since the truck hasn't even had its first oil change. What are the chances the dealership would check it out for free?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    New tires = needs alignment.

3. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Shouldn't affect it. Get the dealer to check allignment for free.

I just got those tires installed and love them so far. Mine handle great

4. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Was it pulling with the OEM tires? If not, taking it to the dealer with an expectation of free work is pretty lame. You can afford new tires but not $75 alignment fee?

If it wasn't pulling before it isn't there responsibility to fix it. According to your post, it didn't start until the new tires were put on. Go back to the tire shop.

5. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Wasn't pulling before new tires. I put 2,300 miles on the stock tires and then put the new Coopers in anticipation of the coming winter. Noticed it pulling right away. One thought was it was a little out of whack from the factory and I didn't notice it until I put bigger, more grippy tires on. The other is the aggressive tread just causes it to pull a little that way.

I'm thinking I'll start with the tire shop tomorrow. They didn't do anything other than swap the new tires on so I know they didn't do anything to the alignment, but they do alignments so I'll see if they'll check it.

The money isn't the issue. I just didn't think I did anything worth having to have an alignment since it has 2,300 miles on the clock. Was wondering what the community would say about it.

6. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Maybe they aren't balanced properly? It isn't always about alignment.

7. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Since it is pulling right, you could swap the fronts left to right. The crown of the road will make a small bit of radial pull feel like a lot, and usually the swap will take care of it. Or, take it back and demand another set of tires. If it wasn't pulling before, its obviously not the alignment.

8. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    I did not need an alignment on mine when I got new tires at 50k miles. Don't listen to a thing peewee says, he is just here to rattle some cages.

9. Oct 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    check PSI

10. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    I did check the PSI right away. They had them set at 32. I drove it that way for a bit and then dropped them to 29. Same pull.

I'll swap them around tomorrow and see. They roll super smooth at all speeds so I figured the balancing was right, but maybe not.

I was looking at the tread this morning to see if there was a pattern that would be different if I had the tires turned (like they were directional) but they're the same all around. The center of the tread does look like it is angled to the left more so than the right...

11. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    :jerkoff:

12. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    agree, swap them and see if u get the pull or if it changes.

U may have belt issues on 1 tire causing it to pull......... look for blisters on the sidewalls.

13. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    If it pulls, could be the toe is out, and like we all said: alignment.

I have life time alignment with firestone and have used them 10 plus times over the last 5 years. I go in, tell them what specs I want and turns out great 9/10 times.

Also try Road force balancing the rim/tire.

14. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Lame getting free work done? Take the hundred bucks and donate it to a good cause if you don't want it. $35,000 truck brand new pulling to the right. I wouldn't feel lame taking it to the dealership. None of my u-bolts on my leaf pack were even tight. I bet it's a truck issue, not the new rubber. Swapping tires shouldn't make your truck pull right or left. Unbalanced tires ride rough. That sounds different to me.

15. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Some tires just pull. Annoying as hell when they do.

Take them back.

16. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    So if you modify your new truck and it isn't perfect then the dealer is the fix? They fix Toyota's parts, they don't fix fuck ups from aftermarket parts installed wrong or new tires from a different shop that don't rotate correctly.
    Tire shop had a perfect new truck roll in and an imperfect new truck rolled out. That happened in their bay. If they can't diagnose the issue to the tires or their work, and there's a damaged or faulty Toyota part then that is the dealer's responsibility. But to expect a dealer to fix a problem created at Terry's Tires is pretty off base.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  17. Oct 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Been a couple days and I figured I'd update...

I did swap the front tires and it pulls exactly the same. I also looked them over very carefully when I had them off and did not see any obvious abnormalities.

The tire shop said they'd do an alignment check for free so I'll bring it in as soon as I get a free moment. I wouldn't say it is pulling badly, but I do have to keep my left hand locked at 9 on the wheel at all times or it immediately wanders right. If I let go, the wheel tips right in little tugs.

18. Oct 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Thanks for the update

19. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    I have an appointment on Saturday for an alignment check. I'm still leaning towards the tires being the culprit but I can't figure it out.

I switched the two fronts around and the pull is the same. Today, I moved the fronts to the back. The pulling to the right is the same but now I get a vibe at about 62 mph.

Really starting to wonder why I bought new tires. I had no complaints until now. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Yeesh.

20. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Getting new tires and an alignment myself next week. Hope it gets figured out OP! My truck pulled right for 3 days and I hated driving it. Its maddening.

Products Discussed in

To Top