Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Maint Req'd" light blinks 6 times when I start engine...?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
JWWPHOTO is on a distinguished road
JWWPHOTO's Tacoma Gallery
"Maint Req'd" light blinks 6 times when I start engine...?

What's up with this?

My code scanner is picking up nothing. It the Maint Req'd would stay on, I would know that the oil needs to be changed and for that matter, I know how to reset it when that happens..

I just hit 30,000 miles in my 08 Tacoma.

I change all the oil regular and this is missing me....

It's probably something simple.

Jeff W. Waldrop
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
It's reminding you to change your oil. Use the search. There's a way to reset the light and it's been covered somewhere.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWPHOTO View Post
What's up with this?

My code scanner is picking up nothing. It the Maint Req'd would stay on, I would know that the oil needs to be changed and for that matter, I know how to reset it when that happens..

I just hit 30,000 miles in my 08 Tacoma.

I change all the oil regular and this is missing me....

It's probably something simple.

Jeff W. Waldrop
Maint Reqd light is not going to set a code a eng light will
your just do for a mileage based service
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Well what do you know, I found the procedure and yours truly was the one that posted it! (I gave credit where it was due, though... I had found it somewhere else on TW.com and copied/pasted.)

Check out the Ultimate Oil Change Thread for your answer.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it is the maintenance required light? No offense, just making sure cause some people have made this mistake. Have you changed the oil yourself in the past or had a shop do it? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get a code for a maintence light, but the check engine light would definately throw some codes.
The maintenance light is supposed to come on at 4500 mile intervals and blinks then turns off every time you turn on the truck for the next 500 miles and at 5000 miles it will stay on meaning that is when the oil change is due and so on for every 4500-5000 miles from the times it is reset.

edit: mws4ua posted what I was looking for.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
Then change your oil. The ONLY time my maintenance light comes on is to remind me to do it.

The "Maint Req'd" light stays on when the prescribed mileage has elasped for an oil change. As I stated, I know how to reset it when it stays on.

In this case is blinks 6 times upon engine start. If it is in the owners man, I would invite someone to kindly tell me what page it is on. I can't locate it.

jeff
Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #8

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The "Maint Req'd" light stays on when the prescribed mileage has elasped for an oil change. As I stated, I know how to reset it when it stays on.

In this case is blinks 6 times upon engine start. If it is in the owners man, I would invite someone to kindly tell me what page it is on. I can't locate it.

jeff
If you want it to stay on solid, just wait a few hundred miles. Like Foxy said, it blinks 6 times when you turn on the truck from miles 4,500 to 5,000. After 5,000 it stays on solid. You can re-set at any time to take the mile count back to zero.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
OK, I just never noticed the light "blinking" during these previous "500" mile periods.... (And at 30000 miles, I have go thru about 6 oil changes.)

I stand corrected and enlightened. Is this in the 2008 Tacoma Owners manual? Anybody know a page number...

Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did this the other day. I have recently done oil change but didn't reset light. Oil change thread to reset light here I come...............
Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
OK, I just never noticed the light "blinking" during these previous "500" mile periods.... (And at 30000 miles, I have go thru about 6 oil changes.)

I stand corrected and enlightened. Is this in the 2008 Tacoma Owners manual? Anybody know a page number...

Thanks

Jeff
Here ya go, fresh from the ult oil change thread.............

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

NOTE: You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash!

You must re-perform the procedure
Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #12

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
You seem a little skeptical... w/ all the "" in your post and the request for a manual page number. Don't believe us?!?!?

I don't know if it's in the manual and I don't have mine handy. They might have kept it out so you'd have to drive to the stealership and they could scam you into services you don't need.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #13

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Here ya go, fresh from the ult oil change thread.............
Dude, I just posted the link to this is #5.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
You seem a little skeptical... w/ all the "" in your post and the request for a manual page number. Don't believe us?!?!?

I don't know if it's in the manual and I don't have mine handy. They might have kept it out so you'd have to drive to the stealership and they could scam you into services you don't need.

It's not that I am skeptical or doubt anybody, but don't you think Toyota would want to tell my my light is blinking 6 times?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
MWS4UA and all the others, thanks for reading and responding to my post...

Jeff
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #16

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not that I am skeptical or doubt anybody, but don't you think Toyota would want to tell my my light is blinking 6 times?
No worries. I'm just messing around.

Honestly, if you have your manual handy, it'd probably be faster for you to flip through every page of it to find the answer than wait for a page number from one of us. The truth might be that it's just not in there, though.

Quote:
MWS4UA and all the others, thanks for reading and responding to my post...
You're welcome.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Dude, I just posted the link to this is #5.
Yeah saw it. Wasn't tryin to steal your thunder.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #18

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t@co_pr3runn3r View Post
yeah saw it. Went & searched thru a few pages to get to the goods, just saving time for others by copying it here. Wasn't tryin to steal your thunder.
whatever, thunder thief!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

jeff
Page 159 Section (g) Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light (for vehicles sold in the U.S.A.

There ya go
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Page 159 Section (g) Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light (for vehicles sold in the U.S.A.

There ya go
Mine is on page 161, but it is in the section with the explanation on all the dash warning lights.