1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heavy Duty Bed Cross Bars by KB Voodoo

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KB Voodoo, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Oct 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Most of you know about my bed brackets. They're great for ski racks, bike racks, cargo baskets, and other "lighter" things.

This is a heavy duty version that will be used for carrying bigger things, like RTT's, spare tires, and whatever else you come up with.

With this design, all the weight is carried by the side rails (you'll be able to use my side rail caps, or the factory ones).

To keep them in place, they will lock into the factory cleat knob. Just set them in place, tighten the knobs, and you're ready to roll.

They have slots on the top for accepting 3/8" bolts (as compared to the 1/4" bolts used with my light weight brackets).

As usual, they will be black textured power coated.

[​IMG]

The "U" shaped piece that goes straight down is what will lock into the cleat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    MadDaddy likes this.
  2. Oct 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    TacoBazinga

TacoBazinga Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Belchertown, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Manual, Magnetic Grey
    TRD Exhaust, Short Throw Shifter, Bead Lock Wheels, Undercover LUX cover, TWM Performace Desert Eagle shift knob
  3. Oct 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    These will be made so a 250 pound guy can stand right in the middle with no deflection.

4. Oct 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    Jkinz11

Jkinz11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sk
    Vehicle:
    13 limited DC
    I'm in for these

5. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    tacopromatt

tacopromatt Matt's Pro Taco (SOLD)

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Tacoma TRD Pro AT
    Interested.

6. Nov 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Can't wait to see a finished product. You are determined to make the bed of this truck the best it can be.

Question: Is there anything the original bed brackets can do that these can't? Not in terms of load, of course, but perhaps a certain functionality not visible to the untrained eye?

7. Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    The originals can be used under a cover, or with a shell, where as the HD version cannot.

Other than that, you can bolt pretty much anything to either of them.

8. Nov 12, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Dude! And it would be more epic if you had a bed divider that mounted to the bottom that could be used to hold stuff in place and keep it from sliding around. No more tying stuff down! Just yesterday I had a box in the back and it slid all over (no, I don't have the bed mat) and I had to tie it down. I'm certain you can add that option. I'd buy it right now.

9. Nov 12, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Wheels are turning....this will absolutely be an option in the very near future.

Thanks!!

10. Nov 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    My cc is ready!

11. Nov 12, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    This is going to be like a cargo basket, but it will drop down into the bed, instead of ride above it.

I'll make it compatible with both versions of my bed brackets.

12. Nov 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I used to have a bed divider for my first gen Tundra that compression fit between the bed rails. It had some rubber feet that were supposed to stick it to the bed, but it SUCKED. I don't know why it's still on my garage wall. Maybe because I'm too lazy to get up there and throw it away. I've always wanted something that would actually hold stuff in place w/o the tie-downs.

13. Nov 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Gotcha. Any chance of that modification being made to these? Or would it sacrifice strength?

14. Nov 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    The whole point of these, is that they sit on top of the bed rails for ultimate strength.

15. Nov 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You're all about the side rails. You need to get on this bed divider. I'm telling you, this will be the big seller...with me. I'm feeling forgotten. Voodoo...in NY...shouldn't you be in LA? Just kidding...

16. Nov 19, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Got the prototype made today. Me and the guy who did the brake press work sat on it at the same time......

415 pounds....and zero deflection.

I could trim the design down a bit, but I want people to be able to beat these to death with no issues.

17. Nov 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Design tweaks are finished. There is only one change.

The part that locks into the cleat does not hold very well. Even with the cleat torqued as far as it will go, it could still pop out and cause something to fall off the truck.

The solution, is to capture the bracket with the cleat.

[​IMG]

You have to unscrew the cleat all the way to install it, but it only takes 30 seconds, and it will be safe this way.

MadDaddy likes this.
  18. Nov 20, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    central, ms
    Vehicle:
    '15 Prerunner V6 SR5 DCSB
    The OEM bed divider is really expensive and it only a divider. A divider piece that could bolt onto the underside of either rail design and fit between the wheel wells would be awesome. Much more multi-purpose than the OEM and could be taken in and out with leaving the top rail in.

19. Nov 20, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm just sitting here waiting and ready to buy. My old Tundra divider did go over the wells but it was a total POS.

I didn't know there was an OEM divider. Now I'm going to have to look.

20. Nov 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM
    techride

techride Weekend Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    Bilstein/Icon 2" suspension lift with wheelers 5 leaf springs, 7-pin relocate through bumper, bfg KO2s, redline hood struts, immryo mirror relocation, stubby antenna, dipped emblem, heated mirrors, Jason trek cap, led fogs, debadged
    Just going to throw it out there, the quality of the Toyota OEM bed divider is top notch. I didn't buy through Toyota, just scoured craigslist for a bit, but I'm super happy with how it functions. That being said, I would love the ability to flip the partition horizontal with the bed of the truck the way the Roll-n-lock cargo manager can. Tricky to do that and maintain the robustness of the OEM divider. If I ever find myself wanting to carry something on top of my divider, I'll be PM'ing Voodoo for a rail to supplement it :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top