1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end rattle driving me crazy

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by berry79, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Oct 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    berry79

berry79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Homestead, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DBL Cab LB
    I know another rattle topic. I've searched and could not find one like mine. So here it goes. I have a rattle coming the front somewhere and it's driving me crazy. I've checked about everything. I've check bolts, banged around with the rubber mallet an just can't find this one. The truck is an 08 prerunner. I get the rattle when I'm driving around 25-30mph. It's not in the motor because if I'm coasting around 30 and shut the engine off, it's still there. I've checked all the ball joints, sway bar, struts, etc. It's not affected by bumps or rough roads and shows up even on the smoothest roads. I'm leaning towards the brake pads because that's the only thing that has been changed recently. The anti rattle clips are there and pads have the anti squeal applied. I installed factory rotors with akebono pads. The only thing still leading me away from the brake pads is that when it's rattling and I gently press the brakes to slow down the rattle is still there. Now if I slam on the brakes it seems the rattle is gone but, that just might be from the heavy forward force stopping whatever it is. If anyone has some suggestions as to what this might be please help. Also, if you think it still could be the pads even though the noise is there while gently pressing the brakes, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    berry79

Member:
    Homestead, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DBL Cab LB
    I don't think that's it. I know when they rattle you can usually tell by reving the rpms and hearing a change in the rattle. This makes no difference and the noise is there if I cruise and shut off the engine. I tapped the catalytic with the mallet and couldn't get it to rattle, even did that when it was hot. The clamp is good and tight as well. I've checked the heat shields too and they don't rattle either

3. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Make sure the front fenders are bolted on securely. :cool:

4. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    Supramacy

Supramacy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check the part of the air cleaner that goes into the fender, the plastic might be slightly touching the inner fender. I once had this problem on a 05 1grfe.

5. Oct 24, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    its the pads put some brake lube where the pads sit on the caliper and that should help quiet it up

6. Oct 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    berry79

Member:
    Homestead, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DBL Cab LB
    If that's what it ends up being I might just go back with our pads.

Products Discussed in

To Top