1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound From Truck Hours After Shutdown

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Idaho, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    Idaho

Idaho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Went into the garage hours after parking the truck and heard a strange noise that sounded like something was running. Got under the truck and it appeared to be a black box next to my fuel tank / spare tire.

After I shot the video I wiggled all the connections and it ended up stopping. Just a little concerned as my 2014 only has 5k miles on it.

Anyone ever had this happen and what the hell is it?

Here is a photo and video of the area and the noise.

IMG_2571_zps2ac15e5a_3da8c63c18c2217b54a74cad6e7286bc7391361e.jpg

Video to follow once photo bucket approves it....

2. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I think it's probably your fuel pump. They have some new EPA stuff on those new Tacos and for some reason the pump goes on and off every 3-4 hours.

Maybe someone else can explain why? I have an 07 so none of that "intelligence" in mine.

3. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    Normal. I have a 2013 and it does this once in a while. There's a couple threads on it. I caught mine veryearly in the morning like 8 hrs after shut down. My co worker has a 2014 and his does this also.

4. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    its an emissions thing...........completely normal.

shit, us with blowers have the superchargers intercooler pump cycle as well

5. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    Idaho

Idaho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Just have never had that happen before on any vehicle.

6. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    H0ldanend0

H0ldanend0 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    NY
    Vehicle:
    14 BR AC
    I hear ya with that mine has scared the shit out of me a couple of times :eek:

7. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    my dad heard it the other day as I was gunna leave and asked if it was my fuel pump. The truck JUST started the noise/check as I opened the door.

8. Oct 26, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    It is the evap system running its checks which is usually five hours after shutdown all normal

9. Oct 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    North222

North222 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've heard my 2014 do it a couple of times. Unnerving at first.

10. Nov 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    tsb

tsb 2018 National Champions

Member:
    Clemson Tigers
    Vehicle:
    '14 4X4 DBCSB TRD OR
    N-FAB nurfs, ARE cover, Gentex mirror, 20% tint
    mine is going this - tonight i opened the fuel cap and let off the pressure and it stopped instantly.

it seams to be related to when i fill up and put in an extra couple of gallons of fuel - so maybe it's the evap or fuel pump trying relieve pressure from overfilling??

what ever the reason it's nuts for something like a fuel pump to run with the ignition switch off.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  11. Nov 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road
    I believe it is a vacuum pump pulling the vapors out of the tank and capturing it in a charcoal canister. First time I heard mine do it I was car camping after a long drive into the Sierras and thought something was wrong with the truck. I've car camped several times since and it always turns on a few hours after I've parked, waking me up and running for several minutes.

12. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    tsb

Member:
    Clemson Tigers
    Vehicle:
    '14 4X4 DBCSB TRD OR
    no answer and i think i will keep my nuts and stay away from the prius - the post after your's gives the best guess

13. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    tsb

Member:
    Clemson Tigers
    Vehicle:
    '14 4X4 DBCSB TRD OR
    answer - http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1072

The key-off vacuum pump design is Toyota 's latest evaporative emissions system. As its name suggests, it has a vacuum pump that automatically leak-checks the evap system after the vehicle has been shut off. A typical key-off charcoal canister and vacuum pump assembly is shown in photo 1 below. The pump unit or pump module is on the right side of the canister. The key-off evap system first appeared on 2004 Highlanders equipped with 2.4L 4-cylinder engines. Then Toyota gradually expanded its usage throughout the 2005-06 models; by now the majority of its products use it.
    This key-off design has much in common with the nonintrusive and intrusive systems I covered earlier this year in Foreign Service. But there are four major differences between those systems and the key-off setup. First, as I just mentioned, the key-off system performs a leak check when the ignition switch is off. Second, a small vacuum pump creates the vacuum for this leak check. Third, the so-called back door of the key-off system is configured differently than the one on earlier evap systems. Finally, a Toyota-friendly scan tool is more important than ever for diagnosing the evap system quickly and accurately.
    I'll cover the main features of the key-off evap system monitor now; we'll peek at the parts and component operation a little later. By now, many M otor readers have experienced the aggravation of coaxing some vehicles to complete an evap monitor. Everything from engine temperature and fuel slosh inside the tank to weather conditions and local traffic can complicate this task. The thing you'll like about Toyota 's key-off system is that it eliminates the worst aspects of common evap monitors. For instance, the typical enabling criteria for a key-off system leak check are:
    the engine has been shut off for five hours;
    the ignition switch is off;
    engine coolant is 40° to 95°F;
    intake air is 40° to 95°F;
    altitude is less than 8000 ft.;
    battery voltage is 10.50 volts or greater.
    So for most readers in most areas, the vehicle has already run the leak-check part of the evap monitor as long as it has sat for five hours and the battery hasn't gone dead for some reason. Depending on fuel tank size and fuel level, the vacuum pump usually runs 5 to 10 minutes or less during this test. (Later, when we have to replace batteries in these vehicles, this will be another argument for installing a high-quality battery with the proper electrical capacity!) And yes, the driver can hear the vacuum pump running.
    Toyota has taken two steps to tell the customer that pump operation�and therefore pump noise�is normal. First, it hangs a warning tag on the shift lever (although no one can be sure how many of the warning tags survive the predelivery vehicle inspection). Also, a notice is printed in the owner's manual (that old-fashioned, print-media object hidden inside the glove box).
    If the coolant and air temperatures cited earlier aren't within the specified range, the ECM will wait an hour and then attempt a second leak check. It can make several attempts at one-hour intervals before aborting the test. The ECM also aborts the leak check if the vacuum pump can't stabilize evap system pressure within approximately 12 minutes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Wat3rdog likes this.
  14. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Holy novel Batman , it was answered in post #9

15. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    tsb

Member:
    Clemson Tigers
    Vehicle:
    '14 4X4 DBCSB TRD OR
    i was looking for more info... the guessing is about how / what the test is doing

as far nuts go - u brought up the topic - from what i understand nuts is a big part of owning a prius - u must hang them from the rearview mirror while driving...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top