Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Gas Cap

Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
SporadicFanatic is on a distinguished road
SporadicFanatic's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Gas Cap

I bought a Stant #10504 locking gas cap for my '09 Taco. A couple of you asked for feedback. First of all, it fit. Secondly, after about 80 miles the "check engine light" has still not come on. So I guess it works.

This cap was made for '07 and prior Tacomas, but a representative from Stant assured me it would fit the '09. It will not fit the '08, when Toyota went to a push-in cap, whereas this is a screw-in type.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporadicFanatic View Post
I bought a Stant #10504 locking gas cap for my '09 Taco. A couple of you asked for feedback. First of all, it fit. Secondly, after about 80 miles the "check engine light" has still not come on. So I guess it works.

This cap was made for '07 and prior Tacomas, but a representative from Stant assured me it would fit the '09. It will not fit the '08, when Toyota went to a push-in cap, whereas this is a screw-in type.
Keep us posted after a couple of hundred miles.
I've tried two other numbered Stants and the CEL came on after a couple of hundred miles.
The Stant cap for the '05-'08 is 10509 according to their site applications..
Maybe the 10504 will actually work on an '09.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I have been rockin the lockin stant for thousands of miles in my 05. No Cel or any other issues. WTF (why the F) they couldn't just do the locking door like on my '82 only illustrates cheapass practices that have come to all industries. Hooray for low tech regression tactics.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I have been rockin the lockin stant for thousands of miles in my 05. No Cel or any other issues. WTF (why the F) they couldn't just do the locking door like on my '82 only illustrates cheapass practices that have come to all industries. Hooray for low tech regression tactics.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Pilot
Name: Rick
Rickochet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
WTF (why the F) they couldn't just do the locking door like on my '82 only illustrates cheapass practices that have come to all industries. Hooray for low tech regression tactics.
They probably left this off for the same reason they don't make a locking tailgate. Probably to save a few bucks off of the sticker price.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
They probably left this off for the same reason they don't make a locking tailgate. Probably to save a few bucks off of the sticker price.
Funny thing is the cost would maybe be another hundred or so dollars on the sticker.
Would you even notice the extra cost or not buy a Tacoma?
Just bad decisions by Toyota not to include those items.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Funny thing is the cost would maybe be another hundred or so dollars on the sticker.
Exactly. I would welcome the bump to have had the locking gas door. Tailgate, not so much. Happy with the hose clamp/popnlock mods. But the same key to work doors, gas door & tailgate would be cool.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Rickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of lightRickochet is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Pilot
Name: Rick
Rickochet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Exactly. I would welcome the bump to have had the locking gas door. Tailgate, not so much. Happy with the hose clamp/popnlock mods. But the same key to work doors, gas door & tailgate would be cool.
I guess I am the opposite. I am not concerned about my gas as I am the valuable contents I store in my bed under the bed cover. Pop and Lock has been dragging ass making a lock to fit the '09 tailgate handle.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
im not sure if it came stock, but my brother's '99 prerunner has a locking door(for lack of better word) for the gas "filler area" (sorry i just got off of work and my brain is fried)
Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Many manufactures dont have a locking cap, or door anymore, as they have mechanisims inside the fill tube to prevent the siphoning of fuel. They dont do much in the way of stopping someone from putting something in your tank, but, they cant suck your fuel out.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
They dont do much in the way of stopping someone from putting something in your tank, .

Chris,that's my concern.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Chris,that's my concern.
Gottcha!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
CST Locking cap... Stant doesn't lock. If you push down on it and turn, it'll open... Doesn't lock worth a shit

I saw this quote in another thread about locking gas caps. I dont have one but others have attested it can still be opened.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thats me!!

Yup... Stant sucks... it does not do what the product is intended to do. Waste of $$

CST Locking Gas Cap, I've been running it for a year now, no CEL and it actually locks. Also I have an 08 and my gas cap screws in....

"It will not fit the '08, when Toyota went to a push-in cap, whereas this is a screw-in type. " = BS
Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
wolfkitten65 is on a distinguished road

wolfkitten65's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a brand new 2009 tacoma, I went to several parts stores in search of a locking gas cap, no luck. Not available, I went to the dealership to ask about buying one. they did not have one either, The mechanic recommeded not to get one, because he said after a short while it will make the check engine light come on, I do not want this to happen I only have 500 miles on it now. I had it one week .Maybe next year I will get a locking cap. I dont want to take the chance on this happening and it may not be an easy fix if that light comes on.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I got one several thousand miles ago from a guy on here. Check Engine light has never come on.

I read the quote above a while back when I was looking into getting one. This one can't be opened by pushing and turning. At least not as hard as I'm willing to push/turn.

I just went out and looked at it... no brand or part number to be seen. It has an "S" on the side of it, though. Is that Stant? I'll take and post a pic when I can.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^That should be it. Mine is a Stant and it cannot be opened without the key (well, maybe with a sawzall, lol). Maybe they're a different model # and they fixed the newer ones?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
Forthedogs is on a distinguished road

Forthedogs's Tacoma Gallery
Alright so how did you remove the "leash" holding the original cap? Did you just cut it off or did you discover a way to carefully remove it so it could be reused if you wanted too?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure I understand locking gas caps anymore. If somebody wants your gas, it is easier to just stab the plastic tank than siphon it.

I get the anti-sabotage angle, but if somebody wants to be an ass no amount of key barrels is gonna help.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Ah, so you're of the "do nothing and make it as easy as possible" frame of mind. That I don't get.