1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shifting issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mastodon, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Oct 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    Mastodon

Mastodon [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Took my TRD Pro across TX to New Mexico. The speed limit in West TX is 80 mph so I set the cruise control and noticed something odd. While going up those huge hills the truck would downshift to maintain speed, and rpm's jumped up to 3200. At the top of the hills when it leveled off, my truck would stay at 3200 rpm's. It would only downshift if I was on a decline or if I took cruise off. It shouldn't do that right? Any ideas? I thought about taking it to the dealer and have it checked out.

2. Oct 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Not good to use cruise control on these types of roads. I'm pretty sure it says this in the manual. All of them I have used have a tendency to do this.

Situations unsuitable for cruise control
    Do not use cruise control in any of the following situations.

Doing so may result in loss of control and could cause an accident resulting
    in death or serious injury.
    ●In heavy traffic
    ●On roads with sharp bends
    ●On winding roads
    ●On slippery roads, such as those covered with rain, ice or snow
    On steep hills
    Vehicle speed may exceed the set speed when driving down a steep hill.
    ●When your vehicle is towing a trailer or during emergency towing

3. Oct 29, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    calico

calico Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    I live in the country with small, rolling hills and have noticed the same thing. I can reach the peak of a small hill and the motor will still rev at high rpm's and I'll have to accelerate in order for it to shift.

4. Oct 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    That is standard for these trucks. There has to be enough reserve power for the computer to shift the truck back into OD and at 80 MPH you are taxing the reserve. That is why you have to let off the gas which makes the computer think the reserve is met.

Think of it this way. On a scale of 0 to 100, and your speedometer being that scale rating your available power, at 80 MPH you are using 80% of the vehicle's available power. That only leaves 20% and that is not enough to cause the truck to shift back into OD. Slow down to 60 or maybe 65 and the truck will shift back into OD at the top of the hill.

If you had a bigger engine or a SC the truck would shift back at the top of the hill or before when running 80, but for now at those speeds you are taxing the engine above what the computer will allow an upshift into OD.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top