1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Super Charger Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IowaToyotas, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Nov 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    IowaToyotas

IowaToyotas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    Super Charger, 2 In lift, TRD pro 17in Rims, 285 Toyo all country tires
    Yes it detunes the motor so much if you run 87 in it. Its slowly coming back, I need to go to Toyota and have them reset my fuel trim.

I contacted the previous owner of the truck and he gave me the guy that put the Toyota tune on it because the builder didn't put a custom tune on it like I have on my mustang. The builder just used whats called a, "can tune" it comes from Toyota already loaded out and you just use the OBO II port and hook up the programer and load it up.

Mine was dynod in California (in reference to humity and elevation) at 282 RWHP with 20% drive train lose your looking at around 330-340 motor hp thats running 91 when the pull was done.

2. Nov 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [09 Boosted 4x4 Adventure House] & [86 22r Minitruck]
    CHECK BUILDS
    I'd love to hit that 300 mark.. to the wheels..

i need to get the truck dyno'd

3. Nov 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    IowaToyotas

IowaToyotas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Super Charged
    Super Charger, 2 In lift, TRD pro 17in Rims, 285 Toyo all country tires
    Yes this is true Toyota uses encryption on their ECU so you have to be able to break the code and then you can have full administrative access to the actual programming code.

I know there is a couple of hand held tuners that can break the encryption and code it I'm not sure what they are though.

Just like any computer it can programed but as I was saying earlier you have to break the encryption. If you can break it you can reprogram the Odometer.

4. Nov 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    All TRD S/C Tacoma's use a "canned" tune unless the owner decided to use a UCON or Unichip add on EMS to adjust the tune. It's unfortunately not possible to change the maps on the Toyota ECU itself after a TRD S/C tune, as far as I know no one has managed to crack that code or cares enough to invest in doing that. Support for aftermarket chips and EMU's for the Tacoma is nearly non-existent from what I've seen on here. Even the UCON only works on Tacoma's up to the 2009 model year and I would never use a Unichip personally.

Actually the stock S/C tune isn't that bad, a bit fat for sure but it definitely isn't the worst tune on a factory add on out there. With the MAF it can reasonably account for other mods like slightly smaller pulleys and different exhaust/intake setups. Unless you're trying to get your truck into the 350-400 HP range to the rear wheels or your AFR looks fudged I wouldn't waste my money on a custom tune/EMU, it's just not worth the bang for buck IMHO.

Products Discussed in

To Top