1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concerned about Tacoma downshifting when climbing hills

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sandoz, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Oct 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    The rav-4 v6 is toyotas highest power vs weight ratio vehicle. Way over powered for how light it is. The taco has similar power but a lot more weight.

2. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    Thanks for all the info. I can't find a manual in my area to test drive. I was able to test drive the crew cab but still an auto. The crew cab seemed to shift a lot more like I expected it to. I'm thinking that the access cab I test drove just wasn't shifting properly. The crew cab I took out tonight was the sr5 and the access was a base. I'm not sure if the crew and the access are supposed to shift differently but the difference was like night and day. I'm going to try and find an sr5 or TRD access cab to test drive tomorrow.

The access base I test drive last night didn't seem to have very good traction control compared to the crew sr5. Both test drives were done on wet pavement and the base just spun the tire all for a distance before the traction control kicked in. The sr5 crew cab didn't seem to spin at all before the power was transferred to the other wheel (that's what it felt like was happening) and the truck just accelerated rather then spinning.

I'm hoping the access TRD performs differently than the base model or I'll be looking at getting the crew cab.

I'll find out tomorrow if there is a manual within a reasonable distance that I can test drive.

Thanks again.

3. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    No such thing as too much power! :D

4. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    I have 70k miles on my '11 DCSB. I regularly tow a 6000# travel trailer over the summers in good grade. The auto teams does a great job, I have a scan gauge to watch trans temp. Never had an issue. I tow in 4, there is a difference in shift pattern when I get home and drive normal. But within a day it is back to normal.

5. Oct 30, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    Thanks again for all the info, I feel a more confident about getting the auto now. I have noticed that in most vehicles I drive seem to perform differently as the vehicle learns driving style/conditions. I was hoping the taco was the same. I wish they would offer the dcsb with an auto but I'm leaning towards the access long box.

The crew cab long box I tried out seemed to feel better than the access cab. The access can was a base and the crew was a sr5. The access just spun the tires when I have it throttle and the crew can hooked up and the truck took off fairly quick.

Is there a difference between the tranny/traction control from the base access to be crew sr5? If there is a difference, is the TRD access the same as the crew sr5? I noticed in the access TRD options on the Toyota website say that it comes with A-TRAC but the crew cabs mention nothing about that anywhere. Is that because all crew cabs come with it or its not offered in the crew?

Thanks again

6. Oct 30, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    I just found a thread about the a-TRAC system and it send like it only applies to 4wd low range. I haven't had time to read the complete thread but I don't think that's why the access can just sat there and spin one tire while the crew can just took off with minimal wheel spin. I'll read more about it after work, lol.

Besides the weight difference would there be anything else in the drive line that would make the crew cab hook up better?

Maybe this is a topic for a new thread, I'm getting a little off topic about the uphill down shifting, lol.

7. Oct 30, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    gasgasman

gasgasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nissan has more horespower!!

8. Oct 30, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    yeah it shifts fine, it shifts a lot harder than other trucks...kinda bumpy/noticable depending on the throttle but those transmissions don't fail much. Im at 12k did it from day one...

9. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    Thanks everyone, I believe I'm sold on the auto tranny.

bjboucher is correct when he said there's no such thing as to much power. The RAV4 was an amazing vehicle. The biggest turn off is that it's not a very friendly vehicle to work on. Everything is jammed in and the motor has to lifted to do anything on it.

10. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are you in Canada OP ?

11. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    I have the V6/6speed - my only complaint is cruise control. Have a feeling cruise works much better with an auto tranny - the manual (in my opinion) applies too much throttle on smaller hills, where a automatic would probably shift down a gear and maintain speed with less throttle. No problem with cruise on flat ground, just annoying in rolling hills.

Don't really use cruise, even interstate, in the mountains. Pick a gear and go either up or down hill. Do use the air conditioning downhill - it's worth about 1/2 a gear drag.

Never have a problem with doors the OP mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  12. Oct 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    prerunner 06

prerunner 06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Springfield OH
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 DCSB
    Mine is very annoying when I've got the cruise control on. Sometimes it'll down-shift all the way to 3rd gear and bring the RPM's way up and I'm like "easy girl, easy". Now I try to beat it to the punch if I see a hill coming up I'll manually downshift to 4th gear and that will prevent the 3rd gear from kicking in. I think it's kind of fun that way.;)

13. Oct 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    It is normal for automatic transmissions to downshift on hills. All of them do it. These have 5 gears and 5th gear is just a cruising gear, it naturally wants to kick down into 4th to maintain power and speed up a hill. Get a 6spd if you are worried about it, but trust me, it won't damage the transmission from downshifting up hills, they are designed to do that.

14. Oct 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    OP if turning radius is a deciding factor avoid the Frontier. It's like trying to turn a semi.

15. Oct 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    OZ-T, yep, I'm in Ontario Canada.
    ace96, I agree, the Nissan's are crap for turning around. I didn't find the crew cab long box Toyota to be much better in overall turning radius but it did seem to handle parking lots better than the Nissan.

I just ordered a 2015 TRD 4X4 in black! I can't wait to get my new truck! I was worried that Toyota will come out with a much newer design for 2016 but I wouldn't want to buy a first or second year of a new model anyway. I really wish they offered the crew cab short box with a auto tranny but I couldn't get one so I went with my first choice all along, lol.

I'll be adding the stainless exhaust and stereo upgrade a little later. Now I have to decide on getting an extended warranty or not. I've read the different threads on them but am still undecided. They agreed to take $200 off any 48 month or $300 off any 60 month but its still a lot of extra cash on a three year term.

The weeks waiting for it are gonna seem to go slow, I could have got one in red this coming week but I'll figure out a way to work for a few weeks to get the black.

This is a great site, I look forward to many posts, lol.

thanks again everyone.

16. Oct 31, 2014 at 10:46 PM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    sorry, I forgot to mention in my last reply that I took a access cab trd out for a test drive and it was a huge difference in shifting than the base model for some reason. It still doesn't seem to have the traction in 2wd as the crew cab does but it feels really different to drive. If anyone is considering a TRD I wouldn't recommend testing a base model to see what the truck drives like. There could have been something wrong with the base I tested though.

17. Oct 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

You get the AC TRD Offroad or the DC TRD Sport ?

18. Nov 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    Sparky73

Sparky73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4
    Famous Fabrication Sliders, Duratracs, Painted Grill, BHLM, Devil's Horns Emblem, Derp'd Badges, Wet Okole Covers
    There's no difference in transmissions or in traction control at normal speeds between the TRD, SR5, or base as long as they are all V6's. TRD gives you suspension and additional traction control at very low speeds and in 4LO. If you noticed a different shift point in the transmission, it was either due to the additional weight of the larger cab and accessories or the calibration of your throttle foot.

19. Nov 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Normal.

The transmission adapts to your type of driving pattern and in an effort to preserve the brake system it uses engine braking as an alternative. My 2012 does it also. I like it, but I still row the shifter to the gear that I desire anyways.

20. Nov 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Am I missing something? Most double cab short beds I see are autos, and the DCLB is auto only...

Products Discussed in

To Top