1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concerned about Tacoma downshifting when climbing hills

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sandoz, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing a 2015 TRD access but have some concerns after test driving one last night. On my test drive of the 2015 Tacoma (they didn't have a TRD) I noticed that it downshifted two gears while climbing a hill to keep it at 90kph. It was a fairly large hill but I used to drive a RAV4 6cyl and it took the hill at 90kph without downshifting once and I took the Nissan frontier (rental truck) up the same hill and it stayed in 5th the whole way up at 90kph. I've been driving the Nissan for about a week and it seemed like I had to give the taco a lot more throttle to go like the frontier. I would never choose a Nissan over a Toyota but it's the closest thing I have to compare it to. My concern is that I tow all the time. Never anything heavy but from 800lb-1500lb and there's always something hitched to my vehicle. The Jetta was a 5speed so I could control the rpm. The RAV4 was awesome, it surprised me how it don't downshift on some hills when towing.

I guess my question is, does the taco downshift all the time on the smallest hills while towing or do you think the truck just wasn't performing well because it only had 20km on it and it hasn't learned any driving styles?

I was debating a manual but I really like the ease of the auto and I don't like how my buddy is always riding the clutch in his taco when he's climbing rocks or pulling out his boat. I've also heard that the autos are a more reliable transmission. If I did get the manual I would go with the crew cab short box.

Sorry for rambling on but this is a huge decision for me to spend $40000 on a vehicle. This next part is just more ramblings and doesn't really connect to my original question but it's also part of my decision making, lol.

During the test drive I was not impressed with how the front doors in the access model have to be closed with force to shut properly. I also wasn't very happy with the dated interior but it's very functional.
    I know the access cab can be a pain in the ass to use, we don't have children and have only used the back seat of the Jetta and RAV4 about 4 times in the 5 years I've owned it. It did come in handy for getting beers from the cooler when camping but the box of the truck will be handy as well. The access can has a larger payload, more towing, shorter wheelbase for trails and the most important thing is the smaller turning radius. I always find myself in tight places towing things on narrow cottage roads or trying to maneuver around the trees, fences, and other vehicles around my yard.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    drc42

drc42 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    Keep in mind the engine is a little "tight" when new. I noticed the same thing with mine but now I am getting close to 3000 miles and it already seems a little better.

3. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    First " downshift " felt was probably the torque converter unlocking , then it shifted from D to 4

4. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Yes and the trans is a 5 spd so top gear is O/D. The down shifting is normal and has no effect on longevity.

5. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    This

6. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Big fan of my manual AC. If I was a rock crawler I -might- go auto trans. I tow in the mountains frequently.

7. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    It's normal.

That said - if it bugs you, pick a different vehicle. That's why you take test drives.

8. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I've owned 2 V6 autos & towed a lot without issues in VT.

9. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    had a 2013 4cyl auto ac, it shifted a lot better than this 2014 v-6 auto prerunner I have now. hate that you have to put your foot into it, to get it to shift

10. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

You can move the shifter you know

11. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Dont start that, the other thread about shifting with the auto trans was pretty bad. :D

Some people see that D and think that's the only choice?

12. Oct 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    6-speed manual is fine.

13. Oct 29, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    520Toyota

520Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    C.V.
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    dcsb 6spd 4x4 offroad
    Ome lift
    Yeah, 6 spd is fine. Learn to adapt and drive. Just because someone doesn't like it or know how to drive it doesn't mean it sucks.

14. Oct 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    xsteinbachx

xsteinbachx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    6speed. For people who actually enjoying driving.

15. Oct 29, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    sandoz

sandoz [OP] Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access TRD
    Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try and find a manual transmission to test drive. I'm still thinking of the auto but it would be nice to try the manual.
    drc42 said that his truck was shifting like that for the first few thousand miles but is different now. Has anyone else had that experience? I've been driving manual vw's for 20 years as daily drivers until I got the RAV4. I'm not new to manuals but I really like the simplicity of an auto. I'm also going to try out the crew can tonight. I'm just not sure I can get past the loos of it. I don't want an off road limo and the extra 1' will really make a difference in the areas I drive/park. I really hope I can find a manual. I can't even find an access TRD.

16. Oct 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    It shifts when it needs to shift...automatically. That's its whole job so let it do its thing. It does a pretty good job at it. When towing, you're supposed to be in '4' anyway. Also, the auto trans is pretty good for downhill as well. If you keep applying the brakes down grades, it'll downshift and hold that gear. Works pretty well for an auto once you get used to it. Most autos I've driven in the past will go straight for overdrive on a downhill and leave you to braking only.

17. Oct 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    Hair Missile

Hair Missile Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Lund Genesis Elite Tri-Fold tonneau, FJ Trail Team Wheels, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM bed mat, ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod, LOTS of Poorboys EX-P paint sealant ;-)
    I've never liked automatics and I'm finding myself extremely happy with this one. I do feel like things improved after I put some miles on. Only 3,200 miles so far. I have yet to tow with it but if I do I already understand to keep it in "4" so it doesn't keep trying for overdrive.

My biggest gripe is how I felt like I had to shove the pedal almost to the floor to get it to downshift and climb a hill. Around 1,500 miles I noticed this a bit less. At 3,200 I couldn't be happier.

Since day 1 the thing I liked the most was that I could feel every shift and they were very "positive". Some autos try to shift without you noticing. Not so with this one and I prefer it that way.

That's my 2 cents. In the end make sure you get what YOU like and enjoy!

18. Oct 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    hahaha. I live in the mountains. i shift alot.

19. Oct 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    ENGINE BREAKING and harsh downshifting .
    For you guys with higher mileage ....Read this http://www.sonnax.com/parts/1778
    Page 33 and 34 of this PDF explains downshifting
    http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf
    Are you effected by the TSB ? http://www.pdf-archive.com/2012/01/0...sb-0373-09.pdf
    beleive it or not , your truck is designed to save fuel when coasting . When you take your foot off the gas , the PCM tells the injectors to turn off . This is why your truck feels like its slowing down in comparison to older vehicles you have owned . Combine this with the converter remaining locked up and the transmission downshifting while going down hills can really be felt in the drivers seat .

20. Oct 29, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JEFF
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT 6 SPEED
    Dobinsons suspension
    love my 6-speed. still runs strong with over 190,000 miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top