1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Westin tailgate mat

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Clearwater Bill, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Oct 31, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill [OP] Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Anyone with any experience with one of these? In pursuing a few vendor websites this appears to be one of only ones that claims to fit and come with install hardware. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-6535-Westin-Rubber-Bed-Tailgate-Mat-Toyota-Tacoma-2005-2015-/291017188544

I know our gen has composite bed and gate material, but I prefer to not hammer it all the time dragging my kayaks in and out. So I've already added an OE bed mat, now need to protect the tailgate.

BTW, after reading a bunch of threads on here with tips and opinions on quality, I decided to go OE instead of aftermarket for this piece. Mostly because it will be as durable as the aftermarket, but looks cool in my soon to be open bed.

I found the best price I could online new, which was $89 + shipping. Called local dealer, told them I'd found one for $89 online and asked if they did price matching. They did, so I saved the shipping cost. Invoice showed list at $166, my price $89.

So thanks to the forum for the tip on that technique!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    This item "looks" to be hard rubber and screwed in place.? Do not mind adding holes to your tailgate? Also, it might be used with a heavy object sliding it across - it and might rip the screws out of the mat when it slips and you are left with holes to "over washer" with the screws and stand proud. IMO

I'm buying this to match my Bed Mat. Held on with Velcro, no drilling and easly removed for nasty loading (and/or use a sheet of plywood as a temp cover.) $49 bucks

http://www.realtruck.com/bedrug-tailgate-mat/R183462P2012Y608MA.html

Just my preference ....

3. Oct 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill [OP] Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Understood, and thanks for the comment.

I have an OE bed mat and at the moment like the idea of matching it with a rubber one.

On my beater Sonoma I'd made up a partial mat with a couple sections of old floor mat from a garage sale throw away, mounted with SS screws.

Yea, I can see where issues as you mention could occur, but I didn't have a problem. And it worked. More to protect the keel of my yaks than the tailgate!

Not sure how the 'carpet look' would go with the OE mat from a mismatched standpoint. Or how well the mat will stand up to salt water and sand?

Anyone want to speak to that, or have a picture of a mixed pair?

4. Oct 31, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I absolutely HATE crawling over that plastic tailgate, it KILLS my knees! Let me know what you think of it, I may be interested in one myself.

I'd be curious how well it lays on the corrugated shape of the tailgate. Are the ribs intended to fit in the grooves?

5. Nov 1, 2014 at 4:24 AM
    SpeedWagon

SpeedWagon Member

Member:
    X2 on that! Especially after 3 knee surgeries and a with a 2 piece knee cap.

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these now but might wait go hear how they are from someone that has one. How do things slide over them?

6. Nov 1, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Based of past experiences of rubber mats, things probably don't slide over them easily. To me that's a good thing.

7. Nov 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    I had the full bed rug in my old 4x4 - including an attached tailgate rug. Held on with Velcro and is pretty impervious to everything (including acids). Wash off with a hose or sweep. VERY comfortable. I slept on it more than once. The Mat is a closed cellular foam with a fabric top. Very heavy duty and although prevents most things from sliding you can push items across it. I loved mine so much I bought the bed mat for the Taco. I'm getting the tailgate mat at well when I get off my butt and buy it. All of it is simple to install and no screws. My knees loved it!

http://www.bedrug.com/education-center/why-choose-us.html

Products Discussed in

To Top