1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Headlights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prestonr, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nov 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I hate it when people do that. We know your highs aren't on, we are saying your light is scattering into our eyes or its not adjusted right.

2. Nov 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    don't drive so low n slow.. :p

3. Nov 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    OK, finally got some video this morning of the stock system. I drove down my dark road and did some still video at a building to give everyone an idea on just the STOCK setup. I'm going to do one side today and do more video tomorrow to "compare". I'll do the headlight and fog light on the right side as it needs to have the washer bottle removed (for ease of installation) plus the fact I'm leaving for the Sierra's early the next morning and want to have time to put in the left side.

I'll try to post some video tomorrow of stock/LED setup.

Videos were taken with my GoPro mounted to the hood to give a clear view of what you see. One mod I will do is the "anytime fog light". I need to have those on with the high beams for sure.

Video driving: http://youtu.be/anf07BLmnRE

Video still: http://youtu.be/2IFW_LlGZdU

The following pictures are about 10' from my garage door and using stock lighting.

Low beam on garage door
    [​IMG]

Fog beam with low on garage door
    [​IMG]

High beam on garage door
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Here's the latest test taken this morning. I drove the same road in the same area and did the same light test. I think the lights are fine. I did notice the high beams being a little better because the low beam stays on to give the foreground better lighting. I like having as much as possible on dark roads. I do think the yellow fog light might be better for heavy fog but will have to wait and see.

As far as the "cutoff" line, I don't see anything that effects that. They seem to be fine and I don't foresee any issues. Yes the high beams flood a little more and may or may not protrude the light further, but given the total package, I'm o.k.

Brite Ass LED's are on the right and stock lights are on the left. Both headlamp and foglamp were changed.

Driving video: http://youtu.be/Kpry-cWuVUg

Stationary video: http://youtu.be/CZD7FcuHJXU

I'll post my garage door comparison later.

...added...

Here's my comparison on the garage door. You can see the LED's are much brighter (white light) and show a larger footprint. During my drive, I really didn't see much to complain about as far as sight and distance goes. I'll wait for my drive tomorrow through the Sierra's to give my opinion on dark travel with the LED's.

Stock headlight and fog lights are on the left, the BA LED's are on the right.

Low Beam...

[​IMG]

Low Beam w/Fog light...

[​IMG]

High Beam...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. Nov 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    I wrote two .pdf documents explaining my installation of the LED lights. Both went very smooth and shouldn't take you long. The headlights will take a little more time if you remove the battery and/or windshield washer reservoir. Just depends on how anal you want to get.

The fog lights can be done in about 30 minutes or less. If you have a 4x4 you don't have to jack up the truck or move anything. There's enough room to get your hands in and do the work.

Have fun!!

Attached Files:

6. Nov 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    I've had a pair of the 2nd generation LifetimeLED units for almost a year now - not one issue . Yes , the high beams are not quite what people are used to - they are more oriented towards the ground than most halogen bulbs but they do run both elements (high and low) when on high beam . This keeps a lot of light in front of the vehicle versus putting it all well up off the pavement . In a way , it gives the impression that the led's don't shine very far down the road - but they do light up signs pretty well @ 1500' + range which is a bit low but not far off average . Mine are the 35 watt units with the color temp @5500k , which to me is a perfect color for inclement weather as well as overall conditions . I would like to upgrade to the new 70w version but want to give it some time for them work out any bugs .

Overall , not one complaint and have had guys at work ask where I got them to get some for themselves...very happy .
    Sarge

7. Nov 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    southsidewaterman

southsidewaterman New Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner SR5

I have also been trying to figure out what the actual difference is between these LED headlights, just light trying to figure out the difference between all of these LED light bars that look exactly the same, and haven't been able to find a concrete answer on anything--so, mainly will be going off of peoples recommendations on these forums.

I did email Sirius for a little more info, and they have said that their warranty is for 90 days, as opposed to Brite Ass LEDS, whom offers the 2yr warranty.

I asked the guy from Sirius if they are exactly the same as the LEDs from BA and Lifetime, and the response was "they are CREE custom make LED chips I think they are the same LED with the website you provide".

So, from what I gather, it's the same product, but the BA LEDs give you a 2yr warranty for an extra $45. Probably worth it......if BA doesn't go under.

8. Nov 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Just got back from my trip using the Brite Ass LED lights http://www.briteassleds.com/ and I can say now they worked great. They give plenty of good clean light, much more than the stock lights do.

One thing will be obvious; the high beam pattern isn’t what you’re used to. In the stock setup, the low beam is on and when you go to high beam, the low goes off. With the LED lights, when you use high beam, the low beam is still on so it seems the high beam doesn’t do much at all. However, because you have more “frontal” light, the high beam LED “fills in” the area. Yes, it’s not the same as stock, but if you like that aspect, get the best halogen light you can.

I also put in the LED fog lights and with the low beam on with fog lights, there’s plenty of light. I found it much better to have the low/fog combination on while driving over Hwy. 88 than trying to use the high beams. If you have the fog light “mod” done, you can use either, but then you run the risk of having oncoming traffic “flash” you more.

I do plan on doing the fog light mod, but not like the post. I don’t like “not” being able to know if my fogs are on or not without the lights being on. This is something I’ll work on this winter. For now, I don’treally need the mod with the LED’s.

I’ve posted a 3min video on YouTube http://youtu.be/-LGjSkUU-d0 showing driving through a subdivision out of town and a little of Hwy. 88. Neither area has street lights.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Nov 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Still something wrong with this thread as OP disappeared after advertising BALEDs in a new thread. Reverting back to prestonr is affiliated with.

10. Nov 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Well, I can tell you, I'm not affiliated at all, and if I was, I'd say so.

11. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Not you. OP has what 9 posts or something and all are new threads or posts about BALEDs, I think I said on page 1 that he and said company were both in the same general area of NC.

Then BALEDs showed up and he (OP) left.

Dj Suisav likes this.
  12. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    I know you don't mean me. I'm not offended. Think someone is trying to pull a fast one. Would've been much better if the OP is indeed connected with BALEDs and just say so from the get go. May not have swayed my decision but would help to be forthright. Still like the lights and I'll see how they hold up.

13. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    FWIW, I had a mod check IPs as soon as the guy from BALEDs posted as it seemed fishy to me too. He said that there was no funny business going on from that standpoint. He did say one was a mobile device though so it doesn't entirely exonerate them either. No dog in the 'same person or not' fight... just passing along pertinent info.

14. Nov 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Good to know. Still too close in location for non suspicion for me, particularly since OP is outta here.

Dj Suisav likes this.
  15. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    BriteAssLEDs

BriteAssLEDs Active Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    I can't speak for where the OP has gone, but I will reiterate that I am the only person affiliated with the company...anywhere.

16. Nov 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    prestonr

prestonr [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB SR5
    3" Ready Lift SST Kit, 33" (275/75/r18) Toyo Open Country AT II, 18" Fuel Kranks, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust Dual Pipes out behind the rear tires, Thule M.O.A.B Roof Rack, UWS Toolbox, Canbus 6k HIDs in Heads and Fogs, LED Light Pods Behind Grill,
    Hey Guys! Sorry for not being attentive to this thread! I was on a mission trip the 8th through the 23rd to Ecuador with my Church. As you can imagine days leading up to the trip were crazy getting packed and everything wrapped up at work. Then this week has just been full of playing catchup, and getting things ready for Thanksgiving. I am back now though. Looks like Weendoggy has done a stellar job of picking up and answering questions where I left off, and to answer the million dollar question that bothers everyone, No I don't anyone with the BAL company. Ready to take up PeeRunners offer though on lunch and a tour of the factory haha.. But no I got mine from a shop in Indian Trail (on the outskirts of Charlottte) called Speed Styles. The owner of speed styles knows the Owner of BAL. He recommended them to me. So as unsure as you might be I can assure you I don't know the guy behind BAL. Sorry again for not posting recently, but I am back. Holler at me with any questions.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Preston

17. Nov 26, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Preston,
    Thanks!!

18. Dec 2, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    BriteAssLEDs

BriteAssLEDs Active Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Well there's your answer :)

19. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    weendoggy

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    OK guys and gals, last test with the LED lights from www.briteassleds.com. This was taken last week on my road. It gives a better idea of what the high beams look like. When in a larger "open area", like a freeway, you don't notice much, but I think that's due to having the low beams on with highs. However, they do work very well as seen here: http://youtu.be/QKcoH6mxNF0

My preference is to use low beam with fog lights, there's plenty of light there.

20. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I see the difference. Not as much down the road, but plenty above the eye level. Guess I'll hang on to my hids until LEDs improve for distance. Looking at your video, may not take that long to get there.

Products Discussed in

To Top