1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 Tacoma with auto transmission won't shift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dianna, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nov 12, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    Dianna

Dianna [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    -06 Tacoma Sport -77 FJ40 -14 4Runner Trail Premium
    Thanks for the suggestion but the shifter was very stiff before it completely froze up so I don't think this is my issue. I'm happy you posted that up though, so others could possibly benefit from it!

2. Oct 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I finally got some time to check out the neutral safety switch. I took off the two bolts and it would not budge. After prying, cursing, PB Blaster, prying, more cursing, more PB Blaster, I finally was able to get the entire NSS to move back and forth, but I could still not remove it. So I have broken off the other side of the transmission where the cable connects, and I have FUBAR-ed the threads on the neutral safety switch, trying to remove it from the transmission on the other side. At least I can shift gears now, too bad my truck still won't start :(
    I am now thinking that the ground straps are too rusted and that I was getting ground from the shifting cable, that the stud broke off of. Does anyone have a .pdf of where the ground straps are located? Any other advice?
    What are the chances that I don't need to replace the NSS since it is fused to the transmission? I am hoping I can just put one bolt back in it and be good to go.

3. Oct 9, 2015 at 5:18 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would suggest grabbing a new switch from the dealer or cheaper yet , one from the auto wrecker . Your old switch has corroded to the shaft . There is room to drill out the old bolts and drill and tap fresh threads.
    I doubt its good for your computer controlled transmission to be driving around when the computer thinks your transmission is still in park or reverse for that matter. Replace the switch and your truck will start properly once again

4. Oct 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Ah, I was unsure of how this thing worked. So I am able to shift the transmission because I am moving the entire switch. I'm sure as soon as I bolt the switch back up then, it will no longer shift. Gearcruncher, thank you so much for all of your help! I'm not sure however, what you mean about drilling the switch out. It is fused to the rod that comes out of the transmission.

5. Oct 10, 2015 at 6:39 AM
    ripsaw

ripsaw Member

Member:
    new york
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport
    I have a brand new switch that I'm selling much cheaper than u can buy at dealer. I bought it and didn't need it. Let me know.

6. Oct 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PM sent

7. Oct 10, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Anyone have a pdf with ground strap locations?

8. Oct 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Too bad I can't assist but just wanted to comment that this thread with all its postings has some very good info concerning the trans.

9. Oct 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    After letting the switch soak in some PB for a couple of days, I tried to pry it off again and now here's what I'm dealing with. Suggestions? I thought I would ask before I try to just stick a pair of vise grips on the remaining piece of switch left on the shaft and try to twist it off.
    BTW, how do you like my frame? UghFullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender-4.jpg

10. Oct 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    If the picture is showing that you managed to get the switch removed , all you have to do is install the new switch and fix the threads . With this said , I would clean the shaft with a wire wheel and never sieze the shaft .You sure have some nasty corrosion .

11. Oct 12, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thanks gearcruncher. That photo was before I was able to remove the rest of the switch from the shaft. After PB blaster, a lot of cursing, and beating a screwdriver to try to separate the switch, I finally got it off after about an hour. Laying on my back in the driveway while being showered with rust from my frame, was not pleasant! I did discover a hole in my frame while I was down there. Looks like my truck will spend a few months now sitting at the dealership waiting for a new frame.

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

12. Oct 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    You must be one tough lady hehehe . Almost looks like the switch was welded directly to the shaft .I have seen them like this in the past and usually just take a hammer to them .
    I thought you had broken the 2 bolts that hold the switch in place and is why i was explaining you could drill and tap the holes to install new bolts .
    Good job getting that critter off . I would have been cursing as well .
    Hope you get a new frame from Toyota .

13. Oct 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    Dianna

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Well I got my new switch, I cleaned up the shaft with some sandpaper and put some anti-seize on it. The switch was difficult to install, I actually had to tap it with a hammer to get it to go on, and I still did not get it on all the way before it started to sleet and I ended up laying in a puddle of water under my truck and quit for the day. I had the truck in neutral though, I was hoping it would at least start up now, nothing. If the neutral safety is not aligned properly, it should still start in neutral, correct? I really think that my ground straps are rusted and I was getting ground through the shift cable. The shift cable is on, but not bolted down, since I have not tackled repairing the broken end yet. UGH Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow and I can try again to get the switch the rest of the way on.

14. Oct 17, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    Why J

Why J I'm the master of my own domain.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB V6 SR5 Prerunner
    OEM Roof Rack, 3" lift, 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacer, Front skid plate
    If the neutral safety is not properly aligned it will not start.

15. Oct 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    you have a better chance of getting it to start in park but you have to remove the key , then make the adjustments needed under the truck . follow the directions in my earlier post and everything should work fine .

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top