1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throwout bearing chirp

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TACOrunnerman, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    TACOrunnerman

TACOrunnerman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma base
    cold air intake, 3 inch front/2inch rear spacer lift, more to come
    I bought my 2011 tacoma last year and love it. I went on orders and just recently returned and found that my truck developed a chirp. After some research I determined it was the throwout(release) bearing. I've read where people have replaced this 3 to 4 times, some replaced the sleeve, etc. I bought it from a non Toyota dealer, so I don't know if this issue is something I could get under Toyota warranty, or if I even still have a warranty? Anyone have some advice? Just don't want to waste a bunch of money trying to find a solution. Thank you very much!!

2. Nov 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Jason J

Jason J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    My truck has 108,000 miles with the original clutch-release bearing and has had the chirp for as long as I can remember. So you know the quill on the transmission has to be damaged like everyone else's but I changed the spring in the clutch slave utilizing the one out of the ford as recommended by another forum member. I drove the truck for at least a month without any chirping at all but I was concerned with the amount of spring pressure-design. I'm currently experimenting with custom made springs identical to the original just differing in wire size-pressure. On a side note I bought the Toyota tsb slave cylinder complete which now has a 1/4" longer spring in it and they changed the wire size also to add more pressure on the release bearing. My original spring had .050" wire the new slave has .059" wire and it still needs more. Another interesting point if you remove the slave and operate the release bearing fork with your fingers and just let it stay in its neutral position the bearing spins with no chirp. You don't get the chirp until you start adding some pressure on the clutch pressure plate fingers. I'm sure the problem is the fingers aren't all at the same exact height either from use or tolerances.

Products Discussed in

To Top