1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by harrydunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Nov 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    harrydunn

harrydunn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Proud new owner of a Tacoma; wanted to contribute to the forum that gave me all the inspiration and tips to begin building out the rig I've been dreaming up for 10+ years. Please provide any recommendations and concerns with current build. 2014 off road, with access cab.

Storage and Sleeping Platform Build:

IMG_0715.jpg

Started with bike rack mod so I could transport bike inside cab-high cap to keep bike protected during mountain to desert trips, avoid bug goo, and better fuel economy. Used bed drains holes and modified bed rail with a Rocky Mounts thru axle bed rail mount. Used galvanized nuts, bolts, lock washers to secure bed rail to bottom of bed. I worry about water and ice wedging during winter affecting/cracking composite bed and rail. Maybe may loosen bolts. Any suggestions?

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Wanted to build bomber wheel-well bench storage compartments that would support center bed platform. Goal was versatility to transport skis, bike, and dog and allow for cooking, sleeping, and all around car camping during a single trip. After researching this forum and friends with similar builds here is what I ended up doing:

Center sleeping platform can store on bed floor if transporting bike or be left behind if planning to sleep on bed floor between benches or not overnighting, enough room for dog and bike either way:
    IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg

Storage compartments, near compartments are 2', back compartments are 4':
    IMG_0716.jpg

Used the bed bolts to secure a modified framing strap that I used to secure the foundation of the build, 73" 5/4" x 10" painted outdoor windsor pine boards that fit snugly into the bed channels:
    IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg

Used non-mortise, full-face overlay cabinet hinges for the storage doors, may add cabinet catches if rattling too much when banshing through desert:
    IMG_0718.jpg

Modified bed rug covers the center of the bed flor. Thin indoor/outdoor carpet covers the benches and center sleeping platform, attached with staples.

Used magnetic cabinet catches to secure center sleeping platform if set up during transport.

Used weather stripping on lumber to bed contact points to dampen any rattling noise and diminish wood/plastic wear.

Been researching heaters on the forum and users like the buddy system. Either a cheap foam mattress or thin aerobed for comfy sleeping. Looking for any winter/summer truck camping hacks.

Do not hesitate with recommendations or questions.

Stoked to chase POW and dirt in this rig!

CrashN'Burn likes this.
  2. Nov 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    TacomaTruckParts

TacomaTruckParts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
    Looks Great. You really did your homework and planned this design well.

Jesse

3. Nov 9, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    Good job, looks very functional.

4. Nov 9, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    1eyedclyde

1eyedclyde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    New Castle,CO
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB Limited, 01 AC V6
    Great Job!

5. Nov 9, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    DarthTarmac

DarthTarmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Paducah KY
    Vehicle:
    Lifted, 33'd, and Murdered
    TRD Off-Road Package, Method Mesh 17x8.5 0 offset, Toyo Open Country AT2 285/70/17, Bilstein 5100 front and rear, OME 885, Wheeler's Progressive 3 leaf, OME Driveline Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Depo black housed head lights, OEM 2011 TRD Sport grill color matched, Toyota accessory skid plate, bed linered rear bumper, black Kuat NV, Tepui Kukenam Sky RTT
    I wish I lived in a place that had both singletrack, AND powder! Great job on this project, well thought out, and perfectly executed.

6. Feb 5, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    dbarty

dbarty Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 White TRD Sport DCLB
    Now that you've had this platform for a few years, is there anything you would do differently if you were to do it again? Any modifications that would make for easier removal when not in use? Anything else needed for stabilization or components? Have you had to add anything along the way?

Thanks,
    DB

7. Feb 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    Looks great man. Maybe it's just personal preference but I wouldn't put the fork rack on the cab side, I'd prefer it on the tailgate end for easier lock/unlock access, but maybe you had a reason for doing it that way

Products Discussed in

To Top