Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig

Old 11-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
harrydunn is on a distinguished road
harrydunn's Tacoma Gallery
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig

Proud new owner of a Tacoma; wanted to contribute to the forum that gave me all the inspiration and tips to begin building out the rig I've been dreaming up for 10+ years. Please provide any recommendations and concerns with current build. 2014 off road, with access cab.

Storage and Sleeping Platform Build:

Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0715.jpg

Started with bike rack mod so I could transport bike inside cab-high cap to keep bike protected during mountain to desert trips, avoid bug goo, and better fuel economy. Used bed drains holes and modified bed rail with a Rocky Mounts thru axle bed rail mount. Used galvanized nuts, bolts, lock washers to secure bed rail to bottom of bed. I worry about water and ice wedging during winter affecting/cracking composite bed and rail. Maybe may loosen bolts. Any suggestions?

Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0693.jpg

Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0692.jpg

Wanted to build bomber wheel-well bench storage compartments that would support center bed platform. Goal was versatility to transport skis, bike, and dog and allow for cooking, sleeping, and all around car camping during a single trip. After researching this forum and friends with similar builds here is what I ended up doing:

Center sleeping platform can store on bed floor if transporting bike or be left behind if planning to sleep on bed floor between benches or not overnighting, enough room for dog and bike either way:
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0713.jpg
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0714.jpg

Storage compartments, near compartments are 2', back compartments are 4':
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0716.jpg

Used the bed bolts to secure a modified framing strap that I used to secure the foundation of the build, 73" 5/4" x 10" painted outdoor windsor pine boards that fit snugly into the bed channels:
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0717.jpg
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0719.jpg

Used non-mortise, full-face overlay cabinet hinges for the storage doors, may add cabinet catches if rattling too much when banshing through desert:
Snow/Singletrack Chasing Camping Platform Rig-img_0718.jpg

Modified bed rug covers the center of the bed flor. Thin indoor/outdoor carpet covers the benches and center sleeping platform, attached with staples.

Used magnetic cabinet catches to secure center sleeping platform if set up during transport.

Used weather stripping on lumber to bed contact points to dampen any rattling noise and diminish wood/plastic wear.

Been researching heaters on the forum and users like the buddy system. Either a cheap foam mattress or thin aerobed for comfy sleeping. Looking for any winter/summer truck camping hacks.

Do not hesitate with recommendations or questions.

Stoked to chase POW and dirt in this rig!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
TacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaTruckParts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
TacomaTruckParts's Tacoma Gallery
Looks Great. You really did your homework and planned this design well.

Jesse
Old 11-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Good job, looks very functional.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold1eyedclyde is a splendid one to behold
Name: CJ
1eyedclyde's Tacoma Gallery
Great Job!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
DarthTarmac is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
DarthTarmac's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I lived in a place that had both singletrack, AND powder! Great job on this project, well thought out, and perfectly executed.