1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weight on the TailGate?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomtn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Feb 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    Mobtown Offroad

Mobtown Offroad Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Harrington, DE
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4Runner
    To settle all of these comments, I will step in to defend myself sense I'm the one who offers the cap without the final bend and the metal skin in both standard strength and heavy duty.

Cap is here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/352712-tailgate-cap-arsenj0365.html

Standard Skin is here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...7-tailgate-skin-reinforcement-arsenj0365.html

Heavy Duty Skin is here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...rced-steel-tailgate-skin-mobtown-offroad.html

The weakest part of the tailgate is the plastic clips so I solved that problem. All of my tailgate skins come with 1/4-20 steel threaded inserts that replace the plastic clips that break. You simply remove the plastic clips, install the threaded inserts with a homemade tool if you want to make one or pick up one for less than $20 from Harbor Freight.

I have a cap and a standard metal skin on my Tacoma, for about 6 months now. I've put it through hell and back already and have ZERO issues. Worst I've run into so far is the powder coat ripped over a tiny spot on my cap after a 200 lb band saw fell over onto it from a stop light when my ratchet strap broke. But the cap suffered absolutely no physical damage, only cosmetic which I fixed with satin black spray paint that blended perfectly. I've had hundreds of lbs of steel tubing laying in the bed at the middle of the tailgate, a 400lb steel table for my welding work bench and multiple other products that would have destroyed my factory stuff.

I've shipped about 20 skins already and have yet to have one person complain or have a failure. I hope this, as well as the other vendors out there can help you make a decision. I ship next business day and my shipping rates I can promise you are among the lowest out there. PM me if you have any questions.

2. Feb 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    75z28

75z28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Homer
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR 4x4 DCLB SSM
    I dropped a big block chevy on mine and its still straight(even drove around with it in the back rolling around):headbang:

3. Feb 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    There's always this option.

Tailgate Mod.jpg

4. Feb 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    frunko1

frunko1 New Member

Member:
    Hahaha woah. Someone really over though that. If you need a longer bed and are putting weight on the tailgate use a piece of plywood. Spans the weight out safely, and gets rid of tailgate bounce.

5. Feb 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Same here... 700 lb quad with myself on it and no issues ever with either my 10' or 14' to ride up the gate with ramps. Have also had multiple people sitting on it at the same time. I always wondered what everyone was talking about when posting about our weak gates :confused:

Mystery solved I guess, sure wouldn't be happy to have one of the pre 08' gates

Products Discussed in

To Top