Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Fluid Change

Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Tacoma! Yea! is on a distinguished road
Tacoma! Yea!'s Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Fluid Change

Hello! This is my second post here as I've recently purchased 2005 Tacoma 4x2 PreRunner V6 with Access Cab. It has little over 48,000 miles and I was planning on changing or flushing the transmission fluid as I've read that it's good to change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. However, I've heard that 2005 Tacoma's transmission is sealed and does not need change. Is this true? Do I not need about changing or should I go ahead and have it changed? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
the anti mpg
tacomajason is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E-4 2A551 Crew Cheif
tacomajason's Tacoma Gallery
Hi! do you have a 6 spd or an automatic?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
To change your Transmission fluid, just do an oil change and fuck it up.

That's the easiest way.

That was my first thought too...

Depending on what tranny ya got, what's your owners manual say to do? Auto and manual calls for different intervals.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma! Yea! View Post
Hello! This is my second post here as I've recently purchased 2005 Tacoma 4x2 PreRunner V6 with Access Cab. It has little over 48,000 miles and I was planning on changing or flushing the transmission fluid as I've read that it's good to change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. However, I've heard that 2005 Tacoma's transmission is sealed and does not need change. Is this true? Do I not need about changing or should I go ahead and have it changed? Thanks!
The tranny on your truck is a sealed unit, and shouldnt be touched until around 100,000 miles. IF you tow you can have the dealer service it sooner. It uses a WS fluid. Its not very "Do-it-yourself" friendly, as the truck has to be at a certain temp before the oil can even be chacked.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Chris, Is that true for all 2nd gens?
All second gen autos, yes.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Tacoma! Yea! is on a distinguished road
Tacoma! Yea!'s Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your responses! I have an automatic and only dipstick I could find was the engine oil so I must have the sealed tranny. I'll just leave it alone for now!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Another reason I'm glad I have a stick. Sealed trans. Makes no $ence 2 me.
Welll.......fwiw, the Auto is much stronger than the manual.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
How about the manual 2nd gens? what interval should it be checked?
Depending on use, Checked at 15K changed at 30K
Old 04-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure I'm being f'd over but since I don't know wtf fwiw is I'm not sure, please help me out so I'll know next time. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
In what sense might I inquire?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
In what sense might I inquire?
In the ability to handle power from the engine. The 5speed auto has been used behind the 4.7 for a few years. The 6 speed manual is all new for the Tacoma, and only designed for the 1GR-FE. I cant site the source off the top of my head, but I read the auto is capable of handling 350lb-ft of torque or more. Its a beefy tranny.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ooo Impressive. Is that part of the reason we can throw a charger on our trucks with little to no modification?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Ooo Impressive. Is that part of the reason we can throw a charger on our trucks with little to no modification?
Well, Technically, So can the manual tranny trucks. Just seems, And I dont know the power specs on the manual, that the manual trannies have a hard time handeling the stock power of the 1GR engine.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #19
Resident Jackass

Why be afraid? Better to ask appear to be seeking knowledge than bumbling around in the dark right?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Another reason I'm glad I have a stick. Sealed trans. Makes no $ence 2 me.
I agree . i dont care what kind of oil is in it it will go bad.