Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My Trans a Cooler With a Fan Install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HolyHandGrenade's Tacoma Gallery

-B&M Super Cooler 70268
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Spal Pusher Fan 30100393
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Spal FRH FAN Relay Harness
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Spal Fan Mounting Brackets
http://www.jegs.com/i/SPAL/063/30130011/10002/-1

I was looking to use the B&M oil cooler that comes with a thermostatically controlled fan. However, I realized that the fan on those is a puller. This wouldn't work for me as I wanted it in front of the radiator.

So, I pieced together the above parts.

Here it is:

The fan fits the cooler perfectly. If you tilt the fan the mounting holes fit over the edge of the cooler. You just have to drill two 1/4 holes.

The Spal mounting straps fit into notches in the fan. This makes mounting the set up effortless. Just four more 1/4" holes. The best part is that they're already black. No painting required

Lines ran. I used some loom to protect from chaffing, and to give a more "factory" look.

Relay mounted and grounded to existing bolts

Toggle switch. I don't care about a thermostat. I'll only use the fan in slow traffic anyway.

One for the fan and one for my work lights. They look a little Fast and the Furious-ish, but they keep me from turning them on by accident.

Finished product:
Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Nice clean work.

I'd be curious to know the temp difference.. if you have a Scangauge or the newer Ultragauge to monitor it.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
xsteinbachx is on a distinguished road
xsteinbachx's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious why you needed the Tranny cooler?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I have been thinking about doing somethign very similar if I keep the truck. I would be interested to see what the temp change during normal op and with the fan on.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I added the extra cooler for slow stop and go driving. I have a 6 1/2 X 10 foot trailer that I use a lot. The trailer weighs 1000 LBSand is rated for 2000 LBS. I try to stay close to the rating...

When I'm up to the rating it's fine at speed as long as I keep it out of O/D. The problem is in stop and go traffic. The stock cooler just doesn't get it done all of the time. I'm hoping the bigger cooler and fan do the trick.

We'll see what the ScanGauge says.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Great work man and keep us updated
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
Great work man and keep us updated
Thank you, will do.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
brian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Brian
brian0128's Tacoma Gallery
What temps were you seeing on the scanguage before the install?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
07 sport 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I notice that the factory cooler is different than the previous 2nd gens, I wonder when they changed them? My Trans a Cooler With a Fan Install-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416353765.537816.jpg
Old 11-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want to be "that guy" but did you add extra trans fluid to compensate for the cooler ? should be almost a 1/3 qt more... Not trying to insult you jeep keep your taco good to go
Old 11-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaG26 View Post
I don't want to be "that guy" but did you add extra trans fluid to compensate for the cooler ? should be almost a 1/3 qt more... Not trying to insult you jeep keep your taco good to go
Yeah, thank you. I did a drain and refill at the same time. I only got two quarts out of the pan. I think I was victim of low fluid from the factory....

It's really easy to do with the ScanGauge. Worth the money for it just for checking the trans fluid, if you ask me.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. Putting this on wish list. Keep us updated.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0128 View Post
What temps were you seeing on the scanguage before the install?
If driving in stop and go I would get over 200. If driving in stop and go and then going up the big hill to my house after 220-230 ish.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 sport 4x4 View Post
I notice that the factory cooler is different than the previous 2nd gens, I wonder when they changed them? Attachment 298568
I was surprised to find it was different too. Wonder why?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade View Post
Yeah, thank you. I did a drain and refill at the same time. I only got two quarts out of the pan. I think I was victim of low fluid from the factory....

It's really easy to do with the ScanGauge. Worth the money for it just for checking the trans fluid, if you ask me.
Cool deal. Man I need to look into getting one of them, I hear a lot of good things about them.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Awesome job with the install . An excellent idea for anyone towing in stop and go traffic as well crawling in 4X4 low . Great write up !!
Thank you. I'll be towing my trailer to PA this weekend. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
brian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian0128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Brian
brian0128's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade View Post
factory....

What is involved with using the scanguage? I might buy one just for this.

I was planning on getting the ultra guage for the price. Anyone know if you can check trans fluid with that as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #20
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0128 View Post
What is involved with using the scanguage? I might buy one just for this.

I was planning on getting the ultra guage for the price. Anyone know if you can check trans fluid with that as well.
You might want to wait for UltraGauge to release a version capable of reading ATF temp. They're working on it now. Details here.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sion-temp.html

Products Discussed in this Thread