1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Load Range question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by forana, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Nov 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    forana

forana [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    I have been following the threads about the new BFG KO2s. I love the new look but have seen a lot of comments saying to avoid load range E tires if you don't really need them.

I did a search on tirerack for 265/75/16 tires and there are very few tires that are P or anything less that E. About 85% of the tires were E.

Is there really a big difference between C/D and E?

2. Nov 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    Sankuh

Sankuh Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    02 Ext. Cab 2.7 5 Speed
    I used to have 265/75/16 BFG AT KO's on my 01 V6, those tires were load range E.
    Switched to 15 inch rim and put on 32x11.5/15 BFG AT's on. I get a few miles more per gallon. Other than that dont notice much. I dont carry much in truck or do any gnarly offroading.

3. Nov 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    33yrsoftoys

33yrsoftoys Over 40yrs now

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    mid Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 dcsb off road 6 speed manual
    Bilstein 6112's 5th clip 1/4" spacer driver's side. Icon tubular UCA's with Delta joint, wheelers superbumps, ECGS bushing. Allpro standard leaf packs, 5160's, U bolt flip kit with wheelers super bump's, extended stainless steel brake lines, carrier bearing drop. Icon rebounds 17" with Nitto terra grappler G2's 285/70/17's.
    They are a little heavier also. Much better off road.

4. Nov 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Load C is plenty for most of us, and it gives a good ride. D is hard to find, but a great compromise. You have to wheel the hell out of a Taco to need load E, which will give a very firm ride. I only need load E on my Ram 3500 that I use to haul my horses into areas that many would consider "offroad", which is where the trailhead often starts for getting into the backcountry with the horses.

Look at different brands and retailers. You can save money on tires and fuel by not going too high on load range. Better up than down IMO, though. P rated are for minivans.

The pic in my sig is not what I call offroad...

5. Nov 18, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    If you never offroad I would say stick with P. It will give you the best ride and be the cheapest. Moderate off roading with few trips in the rocks, go with a C. If you must rely on your tires because you are a long way from anything, or you get into some serious rocks, or just hate flats, go E. I personally wont ever put anything but E tires on my rigs, but that's just me.

6. Nov 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    The ride in BFG AT KOs is smooth. They aren't loud either.

7. Nov 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    So many mixed views on this topic....I have load range E on my taco and don't do much off-roading....with BFG would get their head out of their ass and make more AT KOs in load range C. It's bogus that 95% of the AT KO line is load range E. I'm in your same boat and want to put BFG AT KOs on my new 4Runner...but really thinking of going with a different brand that offers load range C

Products Discussed in

To Top